Singapore Expats

Questions about miniature bananas

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Questions about miniature bananas

Post by BedokAmerican » Thu, 16 May 2013 1:59 pm

I've got another food-related question that might be better answered here than on the wine & dine thread.

I've seen batches of tiny bananas for sale throughout Singapore and I wanted to know what they are called and how they taste. I don't think they are plantains, but I could be wrong.

Here is the link to an example of what I'm talking about:
http://ganchau.blogspot.sg/2009/03/than ... ngers.html

I've asked at the store what these bananas taste like or if these bananas taste like regular bananas and the people don't seem to know what I'm talking about. I can't find much information online either.

Has anyone eaten these little bananas? If so, what's their taste like compared to a traditional banana? I've been wanting to try them but they're sold in batches of 20+ and I don't want to be stuck with a whole batch if they're not any good.

Thanks!

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 16 May 2013 2:02 pm

They taste worse than usual bananas.
But your taste may be different than mine.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 16 May 2013 2:09 pm

It is called Pisang Emas (literally means 'gold bananas') locally.

In actual term, they are also called Lady's Finger bananas. Scientific name Musa acuminata (Colla) and they are common around tropical and sub-tropical countries.

They are usually very sweet, which I personally avoid because I dislike sweet stuff. These bananas are also very popular as banana fritters as they are cheap and easy to fry.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 16 May 2013 2:27 pm

All bananas are sweet, but little ones taste very specific. Maybe, locals got used to that taste, or maybe I bought a wrong bundle of bananas, but I'm not buying them anymore.

iloverice
Regular
Regular

Post by iloverice » Thu, 16 May 2013 3:04 pm

It's common banana in Indonesia, and there are even smaller type. If you ever visit Bali, you can easily spot it (they sell it at entrance of the monkey forest) :D

For the taste, I only can say, every individual is different.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 16 May 2013 3:12 pm

Sergei82 wrote:All bananas are sweet, but little ones taste very specific. Maybe, locals got used to that taste, or maybe I bought a wrong bundle of bananas, but I'm not buying them anymore.
That's why I like plantains - they don't taste as sweet as Lady's Finger bananas (funny! Wikipedia also calls them Sugar bananas) and they have lotsa bites in them (think fibre).

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 16 May 2013 3:42 pm

The problem with plantains is that you really cannot eat them unless they are cooked (normally). Most use them as a starchy vegetable substitute as they are mostly starch and rather unpalatable unless cooked. I had 3 varieties of bananas and one variety of plantain in my yard when I lived in Seletar Camp back in the 80's & 90's. Also, had two varieties of rambutans, a coconut palm, limes, bittergourd, Thai jackfruit tree, Guava & drumstick tree. I also grew pineapple and tapioca in the field outside my compound fence. Sure hated moving into my HDB!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Thu, 16 May 2013 5:48 pm

by the way, dont put your bananas in the fridge ;)

nakatago

Re: Questions about miniature bananas

Post by nakatago » Thu, 16 May 2013 7:15 pm

BedokAmerican wrote:I've got another food-related question that might be better answered here than on the wine & dine thread.

I've seen batches of tiny bananas for sale throughout Singapore and I wanted to know what they are called and how they taste. I don't think they are plantains, but I could be wrong.

Here is the link to an example of what I'm talking about:
http://ganchau.blogspot.sg/2009/03/than ... ngers.html

I've asked at the store what these bananas taste like or if these bananas taste like regular bananas and the people don't seem to know what I'm talking about. I can't find much information online either.

Has anyone eaten these little bananas? If so, what's their taste like compared to a traditional banana? I've been wanting to try them but they're sold in batches of 20+ and I don't want to be stuck with a whole batch if they're not any good.

Thanks!
They're supposedly sweeter (my mom likes them better over the more popular banana varieties) but they're also more likely to be acrid.

They could also be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Se%C3%B1orita_banana
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Fri, 17 May 2013 8:04 am

Ok, thank you for your replies. Its nice to be able to put the "lady finger" name to these little bananas. Maybe I'll try a batch...and no, I won't put them in the refrigerator. :D

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 17 May 2013 3:13 pm

I like pisang bananas (pron: pea-sang).

They have way more flavour than regular ones: Unsurprising given regular ones are harvested when green/unripened.

Having more flavour, they are very good for cooking... like banana loaf etc. They're ideal as a quick snack too...

When you see a huge bunch in a shop, you can ask one of the shop-aunties (at the weigh-station) to chop off the quantity you want. Don't worry, that's how it works...

p.s. Only time I've stocked plantain was as rations for pack-horses. I've tried it, and it seems to have no taste. Oh and they have it in Nicaragua, where they fry slices and serve it up with most dishes it seems... again, no taste.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Fri, 17 May 2013 3:37 pm

What's wrong with bananas in the fridge?

proxymoron
Regular
Regular

Post by proxymoron » Fri, 17 May 2013 5:00 pm

Multiple varieties of bananas are usually a common sight at fruit shops in tropical countries. And if you are really keen to explore, may be you can pay visit to the vegetable shops at Buffalo Rd, next to Little India MRT. They have different kinds of bananas with each one having its own distinct flavor. Also it is Little India, so you dont need to go for bundle.. just can choose the bit you want.

while at it... sharing a picture, just to emphasize on the variety of bananas
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... ananas.jpg
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Fri, 17 May 2013 5:20 pm

They go black and smooshy, Sergei. Can't keep them with other fruit either. PIA fruit.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Fri, 17 May 2013 5:47 pm

Bananas are not potatoes, I'm finishing off bananas in no more than 2 days, they can't go black by then. For potato it may take months for me to finish it... In any case, I'm happily using my fridge for both, usually together with other fruits and vegetables.