Singapore Expats

To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
heliotropic365
Regular
Regular

Re: To get there early is on time and showing up on time is

Post by heliotropic365 » Tue, 14 May 2013 6:21 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:I disagree with this sentiment. People who show up early are a pain in the ass. Like trying to get ready for a party or dinner, and some airhead shows up 15 minutes early. Puleeeze.
is it common in sg to be early? in my experience, socially people are often pretty late! i would have to say in business it's definitely always good to be a few minutes early, especially since travel times can very so much sometimes. and yes, showing up early for a dinner party is the worst!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 14 May 2013 7:53 pm

Singapore runs mostly on rubber time. However, as an HR manager, many a local has found themselves out of an interview for being late. There is nothing fashionable about making your future employer wait for your royal arse.

Unless you have a damned good excuse that can be verified by turning on the radio, you blew your chance. If you cannot be on time for the time you are supposedly trying to impress me, then you will never be on time at work if I hire you either.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 14 May 2013 9:11 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Singapore runs mostly on rubber time. However, as an HR manager, many a local has found themselves out of an interview for being late. There is nothing fashionable about making your future employer wait for your royal arse.

Unless you have a damned good excuse that can be verified by turning on the radio, you blew your chance. If you cannot be on time for the time you are supposedly trying to impress me, then you will never be on time at work if I hire you either.
+1 re: interviews. !0-15 minutes early, but arrive at your destination building even earlier (if needs be to ensure you are NOT late), and check out the neighbourhood, or grab a coffee, until 10-15mns prior.

Meals with friends at their homes... 20 mins late is fashionably late in my books. If at a restaurant etc and it's their plan/night out then say 10 minutes after the booking time...

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 15 May 2013 10:43 am

I learnt about Indian time when I moved to Sg.

Invited to a function and arrived about 30 mins after the start time. Organisers were still setting up, next guests arrived over an hour later. Haven't made that mistake again.

Chinese time appears to be similar. Invited to a local wedding. Groom recommended arriving about an hour after start time because most people would be late. He was too conservative.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 15 May 2013 10:50 am

Chinese weddings get on my nerve all time. It is so bad that guests are 'expected' to be late, which gives rise to the bog standard 'one hour' you see in all Chinese weddings these days. I know it is an acceptable standard but it is still wrong nevertheless.

The best way to tackle that mentality in both guests and organisers is to have a wedding done on a cruise ship that will depart on the dot. That will teach those rubber-time advocates, after spending hours and hundreds of dollars in hair salon and make-up studio to attend the wedding.

heliotropic365
Regular
Regular

Post by heliotropic365 » Wed, 15 May 2013 3:06 pm

i know that when i have meetings with legitimately busy people i try to arrive early, so i give them a chance to finish and get out of the meeting earlier than expected, if possible - which hopefully makes them happy.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 May 2013 3:10 pm

the lynx wrote:Chinese weddings get on my nerve all time. It is so bad that guests are 'expected' to be late, which gives rise to the bog standard 'one hour' you see in all Chinese weddings these days. I know it is an acceptable standard but it is still wrong nevertheless.

The best way to tackle that mentality in both guests and organisers is to have a wedding done on a cruise ship that will depart on the dot. That will teach those rubber-time advocates, after spending hours and hundreds of dollars in hair salon and make-up studio to attend the wedding.
+10 :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

swifty

Post by swifty » Wed, 15 May 2013 8:25 pm

Personally I think being late all the time is a terrible disrespect for other people's time.
But of course in practice, occasionally we're limited by circumstances beyond our control.
But I do tend to plan on getting to places a little earlier, especially professional meetings and even more so if the location's unfamiliar. But if I do end up being too early, I'll just go grab a coffee or something.
I have to say though, showing up too early even if you say you don't mind waiting sometimes make the opposite party uncomfortable, even if they are actually on time.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 15 May 2013 9:45 pm

I was going to say .... what?!

But perhaps I'd be better to ask what you're talki8ng about.

heliotropic365
Regular
Regular

Post by heliotropic365 » Thu, 16 May 2013 5:34 pm

swifty wrote: I have to say though, showing up too early even if you say you don't mind waiting sometimes make the opposite party uncomfortable, even if they are actually on time.
this can be true, depends how familiar you are with the person.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Thu, 16 May 2013 9:59 pm

The forum is beginning to look like Yahoo Answers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 16 May 2013 10:16 pm

Stepford-fest?

Like automatons, saying stuff, rules, accepted wisdom...

That makes no sense.