Singapore Expats

Renewing REP - Unusual situation

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
worldexplorer1981

Renewing REP - Unusual situation

Post by worldexplorer1981 » Thu, 16 May 2013 5:41 am

Hi,

I am a Singapore PR and I renewed my REP in Feb 2009, with expiry in Feb 2014. However, in Nov 2009, I was transferred to USA for a position. My salary was coming from a US registered company and as such did not have to contribute CPF and did not pay income tax as well.

I am planning to move back to Singapore this year in July and I already have a permanent job offer with a salary of $10K per month.

I wanted to know if there will be any issues when renewing my REP next year in 2014 and if yes, what are the chances of it getting renewed having been out of the country for the past 3.5 years?

Has anyone encountered this situation before?

Thanks

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Thu, 16 May 2013 6:32 am

I had a friend in a similar situation.
As long as you can show you are established back here, you should be okay. So start getting your salary paid into your account. Also as the tax year will come between now and when your REP is due for renewal, you should be able to use your tax to show what you are back and in business! Sometimes you need to get into ICA and talk to someone before you put in your REP. They will say that 'they can not give advice' but they will clearly set out the criteria for you and what you should do.
Just remember it is best to be honest with ICA and tell them about what you have been up to. Explain that you are here to stay now.
It also depends on your age and they are very concerned that they really do want you as a potential citizen - not just someone who will flit off.
katbh

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 16 May 2013 1:10 pm

Worst case, they may not renew it for 5 years, instead 1 yr, just to test your loyalty.

worldexplorer1981

Post by worldexplorer1981 » Fri, 17 May 2013 6:07 am

Thanks for the info Katbh and Wd40.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Fri, 17 May 2013 6:31 am

good luck. Will be interested to hear how you get on. Empirical evidence is good to have.
katbh

iKnoe9

Post by iKnoe9 » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 12:03 am

Hi I have a friend wondering how to renew his REP? What is the required docs for online submissions? Appreciate any experience advice here.

Hi world explorer, hope you don't mind me tagging on this thread.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 11:29 am

Wd40 wrote:Worst case, they may not renew it for 5 years, instead 1 yr, just to test your loyalty.
or renew for two years :)
iKnoe9 wrote:Hi I have a friend wondering how to renew his REP? What is the required docs for online submissions? Appreciate any experience advice here.

Hi world explorer, hope you don't mind me tagging on this thread.
No documents needed, online

Online, in E-REP site, you login with Singpass and fill up the info required. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to complete and submit

Again, an urban legend has it that some people may be blocked from using the E-Rep, and will be asked to submit a manual submission, for renewal. No clue if this is true or not .. but am yet to see anybody who went this way ..

iKnoe9

Post by iKnoe9 » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 6:37 am

Hi ecureilx thank you for your reply and answer. Any idea what's next after the outcome is made known? I have tried reading this forum, apparently those who REP successfully on the same day by going down to ICA. But what I'm wondering is what's after that, another appointment with the ICA to renew the card?

Thanks!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 6:49 am

Almost sounds like somebody has a job overseas and is trying their best to get the REP done so they don't loose their PR for a couple of more years.
:-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

iKnoe9

Post by iKnoe9 » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 7:11 am

Lol. Nope. I assure you that. My friend wants to apply for citizenship, however, since his pr is expiring, I suggested he REP first :)

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 8:26 am

iKnoe9 wrote:Hi ecureilx thank you for your reply and answer. Any idea what's next after the outcome is made known? I have tried reading this forum, apparently those who REP successfully on the same day by going down to ICA. But what I'm wondering is what's after that, another appointment with the ICA to renew the card?

Thanks!
Here you go, straight from the ICA website:

ICA - Renewal of Re-entry Permit
Be careful what you wish for

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 9:21 am

iKnoe9 wrote:Lol. Nope. I assure you that. My friend wants to apply for citizenship, however, since his pr is expiring, I suggested he REP first :)
Considering the application for citizenship may take upwards of one year to be granted, if at all, it would be wise to get his REP, timely. $50 bucks is a small price to pay for security.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 9:36 am

Mi Amigo wrote:
iKnoe9 wrote:Hi ecureilx thank you for your reply and answer. Any idea what's next after the outcome is made known? I have tried reading this forum, apparently those who REP successfully on the same day by going down to ICA. But what I'm wondering is what's after that, another appointment with the ICA to renew the card?

Thanks!
Here you go, straight from the ICA website:

ICA - Renewal of Re-entry Permit
There may be instances where a SPR is required to return to Singapore to complete the formalities for a 5-year REP at the Permanent Resident Services Centre, ICA Building. In such cases, you may be granted a short-term REP to facilitate your return to Singapore. You are strongly encouraged to utilise e-REP when you are overseas to make applications to renew/transfer your REP.

Nice to know that part :)

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 10:10 am

ecureilx wrote:There may be instances where a SPR is required to return to Singapore to complete the formalities for a 5-year REP at the Permanent Resident Services Centre, ICA Building. In such cases, you may be granted a short-term REP to facilitate your return to Singapore. You are strongly encouraged to utilise e-REP when you are overseas to make applications to renew/transfer your REP.

Nice to know that part :)
Yes, but note the highlighted word.
Be careful what you wish for

iKnoe9

Post by iKnoe9 » Tue, 11 Jun 2013 4:52 pm

Hi All, thanks a lot for the advice and information! appreciate it very much. I do hope you have your best of luck with your application.