Singapore Expats

Bench Top Ovens - any recommendations or warnings?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Northcote

Bench Top Ovens - any recommendations or warnings?

Post by Northcote » Wed, 15 May 2013 5:36 pm

As per many (older) apartments here in Singapore, our kitchen doesn't have an oven. We have a reasonable amount of bench space and are considering getting a good bench top oven (possibly the Rowenta ones that HN, Courts and Best all stock).

If anyone has first hand experience with these or any recommendations or warnings, it would be greatly appreciated given it will cost us a decent chunk of money to purchase.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 May 2013 5:58 pm

For a countertop oven, I'd personally recommend a Baby Belling.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Re: Bench Top Ovens - any recommendations or warnings?

Post by x9200 » Wed, 15 May 2013 7:47 pm

Northcote wrote:As per many (older) apartments here in Singapore, our kitchen doesn't have an oven. We have a reasonable amount of bench space and are considering getting a good bench top oven (possibly the Rowenta ones that HN, Courts and Best all stock).

If anyone has first hand experience with these or any recommendations or warnings, it would be greatly appreciated given it will cost us a decent chunk of money to purchase.
We used to have a Delonghi oven (30-45l range) that was very good and we only trashed it eventually after 5y because we moved to a place which have a built in one. The price was c. $400. Now we have another one, it's Akira, same capacity, same functions, a bit less "classy" look but still ok, and we paid for it $80 only (IMM). Quality wise clearly not Delonghi but no major problems (after 2y) and very good value for money. Both the ovens with fan circulations.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 15 May 2013 8:07 pm

how about those round halogen oven? (the one with the big round glass bowl)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 15 May 2013 8:20 pm

My FiL has one and says "damn ineffective" for anything more bulky.

janiceliu88

Post by janiceliu88 » Thu, 16 May 2013 10:30 am

I have the Toyomi TO-34RC, and it's great - affordable ($150 at Mustaffa, that's the cheapest place to get it) and really worth it. It's the cheapest oven with a good top heating element (a wavy coil /\/\/\/\, instead of just two straight bars =====, so more heat gets produced. It's also excellent for baking I'm told, the salesperson told me someone who bakes professionally bought one from him, and you can get pans/bakeware that fit the oven precisely from Poon Huat Baking Needs. Also, it can fit 2 chickens to roast, but I've not tried that yet.