Singapore Expats

HELP!! STA report is bad but we signed the agreement

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
QQQQ

HELP!! STA report is bad but we signed the agreement

Post by QQQQ » Thu, 28 Mar 2013 3:52 pm

We paid S$2000 as the deposit and signed the agreement to purchase the car. (Yes, we didn't read carefully before we signed. We assume the final purchase is based on the STA report and the agreement is just for deposit.) The salesman promised it was a good car and accident free (no recorded evidence). The STA report shows the the repairs was made. And there was abnormal sound undercarriage and the car was not well maitained. The overall grade is C.
We don't want the car and want the deposit back. But they refused. We are thinking of lodge a claim through the small cliam trial court. Any advices?

Thanks.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Thu, 28 Mar 2013 4:15 pm

any thing in the agreement that lets you out? you've not given us enough details about the agreement.

why did you think the agreement was just for the deposit?

if you can walk away from 2k, then you might want to consider doing that...

just as a guide for your next car: remark in the agreement that the amount is a deposit only and refundable if the evaluation comes back as C or worse (B is normal) and/or if your financing is not approved (if you're taking a loan).

QQQQ

Post by QQQQ » Thu, 28 Mar 2013 4:34 pm

The agreement says how much we paid as the deposit, and how much we still owed, and when we can get the car... We didn't carefully read the contents of the agreement before we signed (it's our bad).
If we like to proceed with a claim trial, our arguments would be the quality of the car doesn't match what was promised based on the report. I wonder how much chance we can get the deposit back? If there is slim chance, we may just give up.
Thanks.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 28 Mar 2013 5:08 pm

Caveat Emptor. Consider it a lesson learned (rather expensive but could have been worse) and the fact that you won't make the same error again. (hopefully)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 28 Mar 2013 5:19 pm

Advise from CASE

http://www.case.org.sg/general_advice.html#cars

7) Warranty for the car. If you are purchasing a new car, ask for the warranty. Under the Sales of Goods Act, a product should be of good quality and if bought for a particular purpose, it must be fit for that purpose. Keep all proof of transactions in case of defective products. For second hand cars, there is also limited warranty. Due to previous usage, there could be some wear and tear. If possible, go with someone with experience in buying second hand cars. Question the vendor on the history of the car.? Send the car for inspection immediately if suspect something faulty after purchase.

8) Deposit. Ensure that the contract states in writing that the deposit will be refunded if the loan is not approved.

9) Consider mediation at CASE. Mediation is voluntary, the final decision is made by both parties (and not the mediator), and settlement arrangements are kept private and confidential.

10) With effect from 15 April 2009, motor vehicle dealers must inform the consumer in writing of his refund policy before receiving a deposit from the consumer.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 28 Mar 2013 5:27 pm

Are you needing finance? .... (or even if not). Tell the dealer you can't get finance under the new MAS rules.
Now I'm called PNGMK

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 28 Mar 2013 7:26 pm

Saint wrote: 10) With effect from 15 April 2009, motor vehicle dealers must inform the consumer in writing of his refund policy before receiving a deposit from the consumer.
^ This could be important.

QQQQ, was the above complied with?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 28 Mar 2013 8:25 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:Are you needing finance? .... (or even if not). Tell the dealer you can't get finance under the new MAS rules.
But make damned sure you don't forget about it and go back to the same dealer! :o
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

M.Sufiyan

Post by M.Sufiyan » Wed, 15 May 2013 9:01 pm

That's a bad experience.

Hopefully you'll be able to claim the deposit.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 15 May 2013 9:50 pm

M.Sufiyan wrote:That's a bad experience.

Hopefully you'll be able to claim the deposit.
5 posts in an hour.... now we're all here waiting and watching for your spam.

p.s. don't bother