Singapore Expats

Singapore PR - Approval Chances - Please advise

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
indigonation5

Singapore PR - Approval Chances - Please advise

Post by indigonation5 » Sat, 04 May 2013 10:20 am

Hi,

I have been following this forum from the past few weeks and from the knowledge/information I gained - I wish to thank the director and all the contributors/moderators/posters/managers/regulars/newbies who spent their valuable time for helping people in need.
Hats off to you all! You all are truly nice people! :)

I now have a request to you all, for your kind advice -

I have been in Singapore since August 2011 and wish to put in my application for PR in September 2013. Is it advisable? Please help to evaluate if I stand a chance for PR approval.

Highest Education: Masters Degree from National University of Singapore
Current Salary: 5K with P2 pass (from Jan 2013-valid for 2 years)
Previous Salary: 3.5K with Q1 pass (from Jan 2012-Dec 2012)
Total Work Experience: 3.5 years (IT in banking domain)
Work Experience in Singapore: 1.5 years (IT in banking domain)
Length of stay in Singapore: 2 years
Race: Indian

[Edit] - Also I have signed a Service Obligation Scheme to agree to work in Singapore for 3 years after Graduation.

Awaiting your kind advice!

Thank you in advance,

Best Regards,
Indigo Nation

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 04 May 2013 1:30 pm

Personally, I'd say if you are a gambling man and can stand rejection, go ahead and apply in Sept. I'd give you a 60:40 chance of being rejected. But primarily as you income, for having a masters degree, is rather low after 3.5 years of working. If you were on a P1 pass, I'd probably go with a 60% chance of success, but having signed a bond for three years will not get you any favours. We've seen those who were given a letter to apply for PR while still in school who turned it down at the time and now want it and are being rejected. The fact that you went to school here, currently anyway, doesn't seem to hold a whole lot of weight, or any more weight than having a degree from a decent western university would.

Having said that, we have seen some Indians being approved as of late (last couple of weeks/months). But I don't know if that is a trend or we are just getting more readers who are updating us with more info (like yourself). Just remember, when you apply, assume the worst and anything else is a bonus!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

indigonation5

thanks!

Post by indigonation5 » Sat, 04 May 2013 9:37 pm

Thanks SMS! I understand your points and you have reasoned them quite well. Being educated here is no longer a strong point as it was few years ago.

However, is it true that there are different rejections that people get?
One with no reason, one with a timeline as to when to reapply and one telling the person to continue on the current EP?

I was wondering if any particular type of rejection from above would affect future re-applications? I read somewhere that getting told to continue on current EP is the worst kind.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 04 May 2013 10:47 pm

Yes, you are about right. Currently those are the three we most commonly hear about. There seems to be three types of rejection (there may be more "variations of a theme" though).

We have also hear from one here who claims to have been rejected 6 times and finally got it. How true that is, I do not know.

What I do know is if you are rejected for any reason other than the "reapply after a certain period of time", it's a waste of time unless your application details drastically changes, e.g., a huge increase in income, a male child (if married) and the whole family applying, more education, major promotion, etc. With out that, it's a waste of time.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 05 May 2013 1:24 pm

Not to worry too much about the type of rejection messages in the letter. As long as you improve/contribute well to Singapore, improve in your career and show strong intentions of staying in SG, with a decent amount of stay in SG, you still have a decent chance.

Based on the information that you have provided, I feel you are applying early by 1.5-2 years.

This is just my 2cents..

indigonation5

Post by indigonation5 » Tue, 07 May 2013 8:06 pm

Thank you for your insights, SMS and singaporeflyer!

indigonation5

Post by indigonation5 » Sun, 12 May 2013 5:23 pm

I have decided to wait another two years.

StephNET

Post by StephNET » Wed, 15 May 2013 8:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Personally, I'd say if you are a gambling man and can stand rejection, go ahead and apply in Sept. I'd give you a 60:40 chance of being rejected. But primarily as you income, for having a masters degree, is rather low after 3.5 years of working. If you were on a P1 pass, I'd probably go with a 60% chance of success, but having signed a bond for three years will not get you any favours. We've seen those who were given a letter to apply for PR while still in school who turned it down at the time and now want it and are being rejected. The fact that you went to school here, currently anyway, doesn't seem to hold a whole lot of weight, or any more weight than having a degree from a decent western university would.
Sorry if this is an odd question. Are individuals who are in Singapore on student passes sometimes offered/asked to apply for PR? I have not heard of this before.

Thanks.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 16 May 2013 10:32 am

StephNET wrote: Sorry if this is an odd question. Are individuals who are in Singapore on student passes sometimes offered/asked to apply for PR? I have not heard of this before.

Thanks.
previously, those who come on Govt/MOE/SIA scholarship, having been identified as top of the cream talent, were asked to apply PR upon completion o their course .. again, from what I know, not all were asked but a fair majority were asked - the intention possibly being to a) help the person fulfil the 3 years post-graduation work in Singapore, and b) to scout as talent for future SC ??

Well, since the last GE such a scheme has been flushed down the drain ..

if at all anybody is asked to, I understand the guy must be top of the top of the top calibre ..

StephNET

Post by StephNET » Thu, 16 May 2013 10:25 pm

Ah, ok. Thank you for the clarification.

I am considering applying to NTU to pursue a Masters degree, and would be applying for the MOE grant as well.

PR would certainly make the job search easier upon graduation.

Oh well. If it was easy, it probably would not be worth doing. :-|

lolipop99
Regular
Regular

Post by lolipop99 » Fri, 17 May 2013 12:44 am

StephNET wrote:Ah, ok. Thank you for the clarification.

I am considering applying to NTU to pursue a Masters degree, and would be applying for the MOE grant as well.

PR would certainly make the job search easier upon graduation.

Oh well. If it was easy, it probably would not be worth doing. :-|
Tuition grant is not MOE scholarship, every Tom D*ck and Harry will get it when they study at the local uni, poly or even Lasallsia. Full MOM Scholarship holders are very few, maybe less than 100 in all school each year, these are really cream of the crop from neighbouring countries. For example Cambodia usually has only 1 or 2 students selected, 30 students from Malaysia, 7 students from Indonesia... a year and they are selected from thousands of candidates. In the past these scholars are usually given PR but now even these top scholars are not considered. Post GE, things changed dramatically. People who come to NUS NTU for Masters hoping to get PR after that will see that they are not even qualify for S Pass anymore since with a Master they need higher salary to qualify for E Pass, so doing a Master per se will lower the chance of being employed in Singapore as you are not considered suitable for S Pass jobs and lowly paid jobs, I think it is fair since local will not be displaced by cheaper foreigners now