Singapore Expats

Potatoes in the refrigerator?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 10 May 2013 7:50 pm

Hehe.. We never put potatoes and onions in fridge in India but here like jr8 mentioned, soon the potato becomes a potato plant and onion also onion plant, so my wife used to put them in fridge. But nowadays we consume them a lot faster with my wife not working and cooking at home and me coming home for lunch, so not an issue anymore

It's got to do with the weather here

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sat, 11 May 2013 9:04 am

Rabbits in the Pea Patch? Catch 'em, catch 'em!

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Sun, 12 May 2013 4:13 pm

I hadn't thought of this before, but the only potatoes that don't grow eyes are "new potatoes" or "baby potatoes." They just get rubbery if not consumed soon enough.

Another thing, regular potatoes that grow eyes can be cut in pieces and planted in potting soil and they could generate an actual potato plant in the right climate. However, I don't think potatoes would grow well in Singapore.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 12 May 2013 5:22 pm

BedokAmerican wrote: Another thing, regular potatoes that grow eyes can be cut in pieces and planted in potting soil and they could generate an actual potato plant in the right climate. However, I don't think potatoes would grow well in Singapore.
Can do same with ginger root that sprouts a green node, or later leaf spike.

Cut off piece with shoot attached, plant out, keep well watered. We did this and turned a thumb-end sized piece into a large plant (12-15 shoots, each maybe >1m high). When harvested (after green tops eventually wilted) bottom root filled the pot and was maybe 1kg+ in weight.

My mother-in-law used it for home-cooked rendang! :-)

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Tue, 14 May 2013 10:27 am

speaking of spuds, where can I find king edwards variety?
I used to plant potato in tubs, those plastic tubs, do you think that it will ever survive here?
It has never occur to me store potatoes in the fridge or onions and garlic there as well

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 14 May 2013 11:29 am

No, we tried it in Houston, they just rotted.

I put potatoes, onions and garlic in the fridge, the pantry is so warm none of it would last longer than 2 days.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Tue, 14 May 2013 11:36 am

I think, onion will go spoiled much faster than potato if you don't out it in a fridge. Garlic, maybe, will last forever.
But I do put all my food in the fridge anyway. Even nuts. Habit, and that is how I know that everything edible is in one place. :)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 14 May 2013 12:03 pm

Hannieroo wrote:No, we tried it in Houston, they just rotted.

I put potatoes, onions and garlic in the fridge, the pantry is so warm none of it would last longer than 2 days.
I don't get it. All what I typically buy from Cold Storage can survive weeks outside the fridge including the 3 mentioned above. I have just some onions and potatoes at this moment I bough I believe 3 weeks ago, no sprouts, nothing softened too much, nothing got rotten, almost as purchased. I keep them in the original packages that allow some air-exchange. What am I doing wrong?

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 14 May 2013 12:12 pm

I dunno but my thinking is these things are capable of winter long storage so need to be cold. I don't like fresh food out anyway.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 14 May 2013 5:46 pm

defo no need to put them in the fridge, hence you never find them in the chill section in supermarket.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 14 May 2013 9:17 pm

Sergei82 wrote:I think, onion will go spoiled much faster than potato if you don't out it in a fridge. Garlic, maybe, will last forever.
But I do put all my food in the fridge anyway. Even nuts. Habit, and that is how I know that everything edible is in one place. :)
Wow... hard core.

I've never met anyone before who keeps his nuts in the fridge!

;;

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Tue, 14 May 2013 11:17 pm

JR8 wrote:
Sergei82 wrote:I think, onion will go spoiled much faster than potato if you don't out it in a fridge. Garlic, maybe, will last forever.
Wow... hard core.

;;
Why am I laughing now? :lol:

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 14 May 2013 11:45 pm

Sergei82 wrote:
JR8 wrote:
Wow... hard core.

;;
Why am I laughing now? :lol:
how about your banana? got to go with your nuts! :D :D :D

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 15 May 2013 7:19 am

JR8 wrote:
Wow... hard core.

;;
The design of their holder is to keep them refrigerated so Sergiei just took it one step further. Bravo Sergei!

Northcote

Post by Northcote » Wed, 15 May 2013 3:44 pm

I thought this topic was a strange one for the forums until I was reminded of it when I discovered today what the bad smell in our kitchen was.

I though it was just the drains but turns out it was a half used bag of potatoes purchased from CS 2 weeks ago (of which some had partially liquefied). I can only describe the smell as the worst old fish smell I've every come across.

Needless to say, potatoes will now be stored in the fridge in our household.

Return to “General Discussions”