Singapore Expats

PR rejection 2013

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
LongTimeHere

Post by LongTimeHere » Mon, 01 Apr 2013 3:02 pm

:ABCDEF

Basically nobody can say if you will get your PR, you might well get it one day. I have known people to get PR after six rejections.

Question is why are you wasting your time here? you have qualifications and age on your side. If returning to India is not an option due to family consideration, SG is not giving you PR then why not try Australia.

AU has a transparent policy based on points, it may take a few years but you will get in eventually. If you spend too many years here then the points you get under AU's PR system will get lesser. Trust me I regret not having moved to AU 10 years ago.

Sunrisesingapore

Should I, shouldn't I? Will I, won't I?

Post by Sunrisesingapore » Mon, 13 May 2013 3:40 pm

Okay, here's is my situation, objective advice would be much appreciated:-

(1) UK citizen, Indian race, 33 years of age.
(2) Occuption: professional
(3) Senior Qualifications
(4) Experience: 8 years.
(5) Arrived in SG: August 2010.
(6) Applied for PR in July 2011. Rejected in December 2011. Rejection letter was of the "you can keep working on your EP" variety rather than any wait period.
(7) Income at time of PR app: was around 100K + bonus.
(8) Income now: SGD 155K p.a. + bonus.
(9) Single, no kids.

Purpose of my desire for PR is to settle down. Am I putting the cart before the horse?

Shall I, shan't I? Will I, won't I?
Last edited by Sunrisesingapore on Wed, 29 Apr 2015 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nakatago

Re: Should I, shouldn't I? Will I, won't I?

Post by nakatago » Mon, 13 May 2013 3:43 pm

Sunrisesingapore wrote:Okay, here's is my situation, objective advice would be much appreciated:-

(1) UK citizen, Indian race, 33 years of age.
(2) Occuption: Legal profession.
(3) Senior Qualifications: Law degree, Solicitor.
(4) Experience: 8 years.
(5) Arrived in SG: August 2010.
(6) Applied for PR in July 2011. Rejected in December 2011. Rejection letter was of the "you can keep working on your EP" variety rather than any wait period.
(7) Income at time of PR app: was around 100K + bonus.
(8) Income now: SGD 155K p.a. + bonus.
(9) Single, no kids.
(10) Won a national award in SG related to my field.

Purpose of my desire for PR is to settle down. Am I putting the cart before the horse?

Shall I, shan't I? Will I, won't I?
Don't.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Sunrisesingapore

Post by Sunrisesingapore » Mon, 13 May 2013 4:04 pm

Ok, I won't :-)

Should I never have another go, or should I wait and see if one day my profile becomes very different i.e. putting the horse back in front of the cart - as in get married, have kids, up the salary etc. I guess that'd be the common sense answer.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 13 May 2013 4:10 pm

Sunrisesingapore wrote:Ok, I won't :-)

Should I never have another go, or should I wait and see if one day my profile becomes very different i.e. putting the horse back in front of the cart - as in get married, have kids, up the salary etc. I guess that'd be the common sense answer.
Yup. If that will improve your profile.
We have one or two posters in this forum who claimed that they received such rejection letters. They were persistent in their application (I presume their circumstances changed, which helped boost their application) and got it in the end.

Sunrisesingapore

Post by Sunrisesingapore » Mon, 13 May 2013 4:16 pm

Ok great, thanks for the info. So I guess my "to do" list is as follows, in order of priority...!

1. Get married to my Malaysian-Chinese-PR-finance-director partner, or become common law spouses by living together for a number of years.

2. Have kid (with her).

Hmmmm....on balance......errrm.....

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 13 May 2013 5:06 pm

Sunrisesingapore wrote:Ok great, thanks for the info. So I guess my "to do" list is as follows, in order of priority...!

1. Get married to my Malaysian-Chinese-PR-finance-director partner, or become common law spouses by living together for a number of years.

2. Have kid (with her).

Hmmmm....on balance......errrm.....
Only the married will work. You cannot have a local common law marriage recognized by the local government. That is only a sop to those people coming from other countries that are theoretically "needed" here and the only way to get them is by allow that "situation" to be "tolerated" so they can get the "technology transfer" as it were. But it not going to recognize any such union that gets it's start in Singapore. (Been tried too many times by certain foreign ladies who managed to hook up with single expats here much to the dismay of the authorities). So married it's gonna have to be.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Sunrisesingapore

Post by Sunrisesingapore » Mon, 13 May 2013 8:00 pm

I guess the answer is that Singapore is looking for PRs to be in for the long term good of the country - settling down, reproducing, financially stable etc. Makes perfect sense to be honest, and I see perfectly why my bare bones application of before got rejected. Will think about it some more. Thanks for your help guys.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 14 May 2013 9:55 am

Hmm. I would think the 50%+ increase in income since your previous application may give you a decent chance despite the stigma of the "You're welcome to continue working here..." letter. You went from" just barely a P1" to "new PEP" income levels. Of course, I assume I'm reading that right and this is your base salary, not base + bonus.

I guess if marriage was in the cards already, wait until marriage then apply. If you had no intention of marrying, then you might as well try again.

Sunrisesingapore

Post by Sunrisesingapore » Tue, 14 May 2013 10:37 am

Cheers for the advice. I guess I have nothing too much to lose by re-applying.

You're right in that my circumstances have changed since my first application.

Before:
1-year in Sg.
Around $105K basic.

Now:
3-years in Sg.
As of today, just gone up to $163K p.a. basic.
Major award as Singapore so-and-so of the Year.....

Obviously, I wouldn't get married just for this. If marriage happens, it happens. On the other hand, I guess I have little to lose by sticking with EP, as I find it easy to "transfer" the EP to another employer. Only things I would miss out on would be the CPF interest rate and employer contribution, and also the freedom to just take a lower paid job.

ICA could also think "Well, for this candidate, PEP is more appropriate".