Singapore Expats

Help! Recommendations for wine and dine

Share your favourite eating haunts!
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 19 Apr 2013 11:43 pm

heliotropic365 wrote:can anyone recommend any italian restaurants that also fall into this 'to-be-seen' category? thanks!
I'm not sure if the two wishes sit together naturally. Good Italian tends to traditional and often rather staid (despite being fantastic of course, if well prepared). 'To-be-seen' places tend to be superficial, pretentious, overpriced, and very poor quality. The $$$-slop on offer is second behind simply being seen there.

That said, here are some ideas c/o TripAdvisor reviews:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R ... ml#REVIEWS
Sounds like it might be worth a go, but no 'scene'.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R ... apore.html
Overlloks MBS, so there's mileage in it being suitably vulgar.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R ... apore.html
People taking their children AND parents, so uncool for a wannabe hipster!

Why not just short-circuit the whole thing, go to McDonalds, tuck in, then head to KuDeTa?

heliotropic365
Regular
Regular

Post by heliotropic365 » Sat, 20 Apr 2013 11:08 am

JR8 wrote:http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R ... apore.html
Overlloks MBS, so there's mileage in it being suitably vulgar.
lol @ suitably vulgar. was thinking of more just going for a memorable experience.. if the food is great, than all the better, this place looks like a hit, i'll give it a shot! thanks! been a while since i tried oysters..

janiceliu88

Post by janiceliu88 » Sun, 12 May 2013 1:24 am

There isn't good Italian on this island, and if there is you certainly pay for the joy of being pleasantly surprised. That said though, Fine Palette Cafe at Waterloo St is pretty legit, though it strikes me as more Western/fusion fine dining than specifically Italian. It isn't cheap but it's good, and not expensive by Singaporean standards.

stiwi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by stiwi » Sun, 12 May 2013 2:30 am

heliotropic365 wrote:can anyone recommend any italian restaurants that also fall into this 'to-be-seen' category? thanks!
I can definitely recommend Forlino restaurant at One Fullerton hotel. Very good food quality, great ambience and views overlooking MBS. From other upscale italian restaurants, I have tried Dolce Vita at Mandarin Oriental and despite high expectations (TA rank #5), the food was not impressive, so I left disappointed. Service at both was very good.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 13 May 2013 9:24 am

I know few Italian restaurants that are not under 'to-be-seen' category. One of it is Peperoni at Binjai Park and Greenwood Avenue, though I personally prefer the Greenwood Ave branch for the homey vibe.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 13 May 2013 2:14 pm

the lynx wrote:I know few Italian restaurants that are not under 'to-be-seen' category. One of it is Peperoni at Binjai Park and Greenwood Avenue, though I personally prefer the Greenwood Ave branch for the homey vibe.
I only had the Pizza there and it wasnt bad.

The sit down place round the corner from Peperoni on Greenwood Ave wasnt up to much though and a tad expensive.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Grumpy77
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Grumpy77 » Mon, 13 May 2013 8:50 pm

For happy hour drinks, One Altitude on top of OUB is suitably impressive and maybe a bit less expensive than KDT

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 14 May 2013 10:30 am

Grumpy77 wrote:For happy hour drinks, One Altitude on top of OUB is suitably impressive and maybe a bit less expensive than KDT
It's on top of One Raffles Place. Excellent place, but be warned it shuts down if even a drop of rain is suspected.

edit: Oh apparently One Raffles Place used to be called OUB. Same place, My bad. :D

heliotropic365
Regular
Regular

Post by heliotropic365 » Tue, 14 May 2013 6:53 pm

great recommendations for the italian restaurants! sadly i'm dieting at the moment, no carbs! :-| but as soon as that's over (this weekend) i'll be trying one or two of these, for sure!