Singapore Expats

Cold feet- Moving to Sg

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Wed, 08 May 2013 5:11 pm

ecureilx wrote:As I said, when I shared with guys, there was no issue .. and as a Landlord asked "NO MAJOR COOKING" :D
So my friend from the army, Major Cooking *salutes* won't be able to visit?! :D This always annoys me to no end. Why have a kitchen when no one can use it?! Although below experience maybe explains it a bit...

Maybe this gives me the opportunity to contribute my experience as well... I had an Indian flatmate 3+ years ago for a year, a middle-aged woman. she would sometimes put her washing in the communal washing machine, including washing powder, and then just leave them there for hours. Cooking was ok, until her mother was visiting (twice within a year, for about a month each). Said mother wanted to start cooking at 7am (or thereabouts) with a pressure cooker - which is very noisy. Things went really downhill when she thought it a good idea to get a puppy (in a shared flat!), that would of course yelp without end when she was out working or otherwise. That was the final straw for the landlady as well, it seems, and she was unceremoniously kicked out.

I think it did not have too much to do with her being Indian, more with her just being bat-s**t-crazy and generally inconsiderate.

I should also mention that my now-previous landlord had an Indian family before us, which resulted in him having to renovate the place, and in him not accepting Indian tenants anymore for the future.

That said, I have a couple of friends from India who are very nice ;)

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Wed, 08 May 2013 6:13 pm

I rent my house to an Indian family 10 yrs ago.
After that, No Indian rule come in.
This rule still stand after 10 yrs.
Add on, profession Indian family. Husband working in Bank as IT executive. Salary was $8k 10 yrs ago. (He left his payslip in the house when he return the house to me)

I thrown away all the mattress, pillow , matress and pillow protector and cover.
All these are brand new when I rent to them and they return these in brown stain after 1 yrs.

They burn something in the room. Hence need to repaint the whole house.

Rent to them.. I rather left the house empty.

Quite a number of my friend having the same problem. One even terminate the tenancy with his Indian tenant family.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 09 May 2013 10:40 am

therat wrote:I rent my house to an Indian family 10 yrs ago.
After that, No Indian rule come in....
Then again, maybe you are got the luck of the draw and got the wrong tenant :D

Not all of them are doing 'major cooking' or keeping the house unclean ..

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Thu, 09 May 2013 11:23 am

ecureilx wrote:
therat wrote:I rent my house to an Indian family 10 yrs ago.
After that, No Indian rule come in....
Then again, maybe you are got the luck of the draw and got the wrong tenant :D

Not all of them are doing 'major cooking' or keeping the house unclean ..
Yeah!
May be I was just 'lucky'
:oops!: :shit:

janiceliu88

Post by janiceliu88 » Tue, 14 May 2013 1:02 am

I think you really don't need to worry about making ends meet - I mean, yes, Singapore is really expensive, but you're single and well-paid by Singaporean standards. If you are planning on travelling in the region a lot and you like drinking, you must ALWAYS buy alcohol from duty free. Otherwise it really is incredibly expensive here, but honestly your salary isn't so different from what quite a number of young couples have combined.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 14 May 2013 7:05 am

janiceliu88 wrote:I think you really don't need to worry about making ends meet - I mean, yes, Singapore is really expensive, but you're single and well-paid by Singaporean standards. If you are planning on travelling in the region a lot and you like drinking, you must ALWAYS buy alcohol from duty free. Otherwise it really is incredibly expensive here, but honestly your salary isn't so different from what quite a number of young couples have combined.
Unfortunately, you are looking at things from a Singaporean's POV. Don't for get, EP holders or even PR (not sure which your european husband is) is also forced to pay more, but because you are a returning Singaporean, you still the subsidies that all Singaporeans get. Including living with your parents if you want to until you have the required down payment for subsidized housing instead of paying exhorbitant rentals, etc.
Even the birth of your child was extremely low due to the subsidies here given to second class citizens. (Those citizens who marry foreigners - I know. I've been here over 30 years and married to a local for over 29 of them.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

scatterbrain expat

Just to give this closure

Post by scatterbrain expat » Sun, 20 Oct 2013 11:28 pm

I did expect prejudice against Indians, but that din't make the search any easier.

After 3 frustrating months...I dare say that the search is over!

Stuff I learnt along the way:

- Your priorities change once you spend a month or two here.
Try getting a short term rental first, that could mean giving in to crazy rules and uncomfortable living situation. Its ok. This gives you ample time to search for a place that suits your needs.

- Online ads help!
Found my current place at .. Expect numerous rejects (because you're a curry splashing Indian), but persevere!
After sending out nearly 100 emails, I found 2 great rooms with friendly housemates and made a friend in the process!
Craigslist is another great option if you have patience.

- So you reply to an ad. What happens next?
From personal experience, the ones who get back to you with "what nationality? WHats your country of origin? EP pass?" - don't even bother! Move the heck on.

- Its ok to get frustrated.
Just grab a beer and listen to music :) The park connectors are pretty good too!

- Try spending time with your future housemates.
If lunch or dinner isnt possible, whatsapp them! This way both of you know what to expect of eachother.

- Always remember, don't generalise!
Not everyone here is racist. Be patient. I met some lovely people along the way.

This forum helped me quite a bit! My tiny contribution!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 12:32 am

^+1 a thought provoking insight.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 7:45 am

JR8 wrote:^+1 a thought provoking insight.
"curry splashing indian".... there's a phrase for posterity!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 9:00 am

Awesome reply. Thanks scatterbrain. I dare say you're much less scatterbrained than most other "curry splashing" people* posting here! :D

*- Not being racist, as maybe there are curry splashing Africans or Scandinavians too :cool:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:09 am

Now that curry is the national dish of the UK, you can add that lot as well! :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers