Singapore Expats

preggers and not sure what to do next!!!

Discuss the various Pediatrician, Obstetrician & Gynaecologist options here.
zylotyl

preggers and not sure what to do next!!!

Post by zylotyl » Tue, 07 May 2013 12:41 pm

Hi, just found out I am just over 4 weeks pregnant!!!! OMG!!!! :o :o

Trying to research on the internet and it sounds as if I should be seeing an obstetrician by 10 weeks pregnant?

My health insurance doesn't kick in till late October - so how does it work? Do I sign up for a package?

I live near Marina Bay ~ any recommendations of a doctor? I'm currently thinking Raffles might be the most convenient?

I really would like a obs who is pro exercise throughout pregnancy, and pro natural/non invasive birth.

Thankyou very much for any help!!!!

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Tue, 07 May 2013 7:14 pm

Find a good Gynie, stock up on folic acid/calcium supplements, might be available here we had a load shipped over from the UK.

When you say insurance are you already covered? If not will be tough getting it after you discover you are pregnant,

Get the book "pregnancy for dummies" and "what to expect when expecting"

Check your citizenship status of the kid if they are born in Singapore, we discovered ours was not entitled to British citizenship if born in SG, we had to zip back to the UK for the birth.

Dont get scammed into buying every baby product under the sun.

zylotyl

Post by zylotyl » Wed, 08 May 2013 1:25 pm

Thanks v much for your reply!

We bought insurance with Bupa for me before we started trying - they have a 10month wait period, so I'm not covered for anything up till 2nd trimester, but covered for everything starting from 3rd trimester.

Good point about the citizenship status. I didn't think of that before! Will research! I'm actually Singaporean but have been living in Australia most of my life, my husband is Aussie. (I had just assumed that I would give birth here in Singapore, there are quite a few benefits with me being Singaporean.)

Exercise is really important for me, because I get many comments that what I do is excessive, but I've been doing it for years... so I just want to find a gynie who is supportive of that.

I have recently read "exercising through your pregnancy" and am feeling quite upbeat about continuing exercise throughout, (if everything goes normal.. fingers crossed!!)