Singapore Expats

I am ashamed being Singaporean

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

I am ashamed being Singaporean

Post by Akimbo » Tue, 07 May 2013 5:31 pm

Just saw this article...

http://therealsingapore.com/content/tod ... ingaporean

Which came from this article's Facebook comments

http://therealsingapore.com/content/exc ... larke-quay

I can't find the comments (Using my company's internet anyway) but I saw them all if I open it from therealsingapore's FB page with my mobile...

I say, what's with all the stupid comments in FB that's from (presumably, I haven't done the investigative work yet...) Singaporeans?

And also, if you were there at the harassment scene, (with your life experience of Singapore, or life in general) do you think you'd do anything to help the girl?
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 07 May 2013 5:47 pm

There are stupid people everywhere. It's just that the country's population density also in turn increases the stupidity per capita.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Tue, 07 May 2013 5:48 pm

Where are Singaporeans at all in this story? It is about anything but Singaporeans.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 07 May 2013 5:50 pm

I have to agree with you. Just more evidence as to how stupid some people are. I really like to believe though that it's no more than 10% or so of the locals, as the other 90% are too intelligent to waste their time posting such ridiculous shit online. I could be wrong though.

iamsen
Regular
Regular

Post by iamsen » Tue, 07 May 2013 7:15 pm

Came across a guy having fits at the junction of Takashimaya and that building with the giant TV screen. Lots of people standing around pointing, taking photos, security guard too was just standing there doing nothing. 2 Filipino guys trying to help but looking very lost.

From the looks of it, it must have been going on for at least a while, I'm a slow walker and I saw the crowd from damned far away. Had to step in myself to take care of the guy and get the idiot security guard to call his supervisor and get the ambulance.

Singaporeans are idiots.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 07 May 2013 7:46 pm

Sergei82 wrote:Where are Singaporeans at all in this story? It is about anything but Singaporeans.
The 'story' here is in the Facebook comments about the story second half of the top link. They're all Singaporeans (or at least pretending to be online) saying shit like either A) it's her fault for being a foreigner, B) how does she know it was singaporeans and not foreigners around that wouldn't help or C) The males around KNEW she was foreigner and purposely didn't help her because of it. Basically all blaming her.

edit: And now that I click it again, it is blank for me in two different browsers. Either the site is having trouble, or she took it offline.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Tue, 07 May 2013 10:34 pm

@zzm:
I can still open the two links. It's all there for all netizens to see...

@iamsen:
In your case, this is one of the things that I'm kind of confused with the ways of society...there was that one time where somebody got sued in China (if my memory serves correct...) by an elderly person, because that somebody had saved him from dying. Instead the elderly person is crippled (or the sort) and he sued the savior. I think this happened prior to the person who got hit by a vehicle and 15 or so passerby never does anything.

At least here in Singapore (I don't know about other countries, I haven't heard it being done in Indonesia anyways...) Does the Good Samaritan law actually applies?

One of my colleagues mentioned to me that he once saved a choking person with the Heimlich maneuver, but the VERY FIRST THING he had to do (as it is the standard international first aid code to do so, he says, I haven't checked) is to ask the person, "Do you want me to help you?" of course, that's after the "Sir/Mdm, are you choking?" question.
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 07 May 2013 11:20 pm

In many of the civilized countries it is a criminal offense not to help if somebody's life is endangered and you could help easily without putting yourself in a serious risk. I bet it is the same in Singapore. Being sued? Everybody can sue anybody but it does not mean this is effective any way. At the end of the day would it stop you if no clear indication that he does not want to be rescued is given?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 07 May 2013 11:39 pm

The US is no longer, if it ever was, civilized. Most will not help a traffic victim so some such because of the lawsuits that have happened. I still do it, as its a built in reflex after 20 years in the offshore oil exploration industry on drilling rigs. I've been lucky that I've never been sued, but many have.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Celo

Post by Celo » Tue, 07 May 2013 11:50 pm

X9200 I think the getting sued part meant that if someone stepped in and miraculously fought off the very large foreign man, than he could in turn be sued by this large foreign man for being assaulted.

I know its BS because I'm pretty sure we can all agree that the real reason no one stepped in was he was a LARGE WHITE GUY, emphasis on the word large. How many locals have physique to match not to mention, more importantly, the balls. Also there is an issue of kiasu. I'm not sure she is familiar with it since she has been here for a short while.

Kiasu + small stature + no balls = no help of ANY kind.

I'm not surprised.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 08 May 2013 7:28 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The US is no longer, if it ever was, civilized. Most will not help a traffic victim so some such because of the lawsuits that have happened.
Sorry, but I think you've fallen to the typical stereotypes having lived away so long. In my 20+ years in Chicago and 7+ years in California, I can easily say in almost all cases with a crowd, multiple people will be willing to help. Being the US, in the (very few) cases where someone won't help, it will be well publicized and all over the media. I mean, just look at the recent case in Ohio. A neighbor heard a girl call for help from behind a locked door, and he broke the door down to help her escape. There was no fire or any other incident that made it immediately apparent there was a danger. I would even bet you $1000 if Clark Quay incident here happened at any equivalent popular area in a major US city, that guy would have gotten physically restrained and 50% chance knocked out.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 08 May 2013 7:52 am

zzm9980 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:The US is no longer, if it ever was, civilized. Most will not help a traffic victim so some such because of the lawsuits that have happened.
Sorry, but I think you've fallen to the typical stereotypes having lived away so long. In my 20+ years in Chicago and 7+ years in California, I can easily say in almost all cases with a crowd, multiple people will be willing to help. Being the US, in the (very few) cases where someone won't help, it will be well publicized and all over the media. I mean, just look at the recent case in Ohio. A neighbor heard a girl call for help from behind a locked door, and he broke the door down to help her escape. There was no fire or any other incident that made it immediately apparent there was a danger. I would even bet you $1000 if Clark Quay incident here happened at any equivalent popular area in a major US city, that guy would have gotten physically restrained and 50% chance knocked out.
I too have been away from there a long time but it wasn't like that when I left and I seriously doubt that people there became uncaring for each other since. It's just not the way we're wired, and despite a few unfortunate exceptions, quite the contrary.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 08 May 2013 9:15 am

Just one general remark to the follow-ups: helping someone on the street does not necessary mean to do resuscitation (etc.) but at least to call an ambulance and secure the person if possible. Normally people do call and don't do anything else for various reasons. If nobody called it in a crowded place as described by iamsen it is extremely bad.
A bit different situation with more clear cut just to illustrate: in the whole EU I believe if you don't stop for a road accident (if there are no other people helping there already) and they get you (cctv is now in many places) you will end up in the court.

@Celo, I was responding to the iamsen's post.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Wed, 08 May 2013 9:08 pm

Akimbo wrote:@zzm:
I can still open the two links. It's all there for all netizens to see...

@iamsen:
In your case, this is one of the things that I'm kind of confused with the ways of society...there was that one time where somebody got sued in China (if my memory serves correct...) by an elderly person, because that somebody had saved him from dying. Instead the elderly person is crippled (or the sort) and he sued the savior. I think this happened prior to the person who got hit by a vehicle and 15 or so passerby never does anything.

At least here in Singapore (I don't know about other countries, I haven't heard it being done in Indonesia anyways...) Does the Good Samaritan law actually applies?

One of my colleagues mentioned to me that he once saved a choking person with the Heimlich maneuver, but the VERY FIRST THING he had to do (as it is the standard international first aid code to do so, he says, I haven't checked) is to ask the person, "Do you want me to help you?" of course, that's after the "Sir/Mdm, are you choking?" question.
Here in SP - I honestly don't think the lack of willingness to help has anything to do with fear of being sued. I think it's more a general cluelessness and paralysis when presented with a different/difficult situation. Just stand there and blink...I don't think it even occurs to them.

I've been in a similar situation, in the US. Waiting at a bus stop, getting harassed by some drunk loser. Another woman waiting for the bus at the same stop came up and told the guy to f off. Then another did, and another. Would that ever happen here?? I kind of doubt out, but who knows.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Wed, 08 May 2013 9:18 pm

The girls from the blog who's spreading this around...she's one brave lass! I like her. her blog is hilarious, clever and uncompromising. You go girl!