Singapore Expats

Raising the Pay Levels for Employment Passes

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Re: Raising the Pay Levels for Employment Passes

Post by Mi Amigo » Fri, 03 May 2013 12:00 pm

JR8 wrote:
Barnsley wrote:According to the local news outlets the salary levels are going up again in the near future.

Apparently its due to stagnant wages for graduates coming out of the local educational establishments.
Nothing in the policy seems to address the apparent issue at hand: Why do MNC's choose to hire FT over locals? Rather than addressing that, they are instead 'taxing' MNCs by enforcing higher pay levels. In some respects it seems short-sighted, as it prompts MNCs to consider moving lock-stock+barrel to an alternative SEA location.

Who will the locals work for when the last MNC 'ups and offs'?

Is there an election coming or something?
^^^ +1

Shoot Yourself In The Foot
Be careful what you wish for

gailwynand
Regular
Regular

Post by gailwynand » Fri, 03 May 2013 11:03 pm

Odds are the long run plan is to tighten up for a couple years at the expense of economic growth and FDI, then once people start complaining about the economy doing poorly they can say "well we tried doing what you asked but it didn't work out so well."

As a bonus they can get rid of people who probably never should have been let in to begin with.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 03 May 2013 11:30 pm

The downside to that is that those MNC and SME who close up shop and move to Johor won't be back.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers