Singapore Expats

US army veteran, 'found living in remote Vietnam village

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
x9200

US army veteran, 'found living in remote Vietnam village

Post by x9200 » Wed, 01 May 2013 4:07 pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 97350.html

Sgt John Hartley Robertson, US army veteran, 'found living in remote Vietnam village 44 years after being shot down and presumed dead'

How many like him are living out there?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 01 May 2013 4:46 pm

You can't always believe what you read.....

Alternative viewpoint: Supported by DNA evidence to the contrary

http://www.macvsog.cc/john_hartly_rob.htm
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 01 May 2013 9:02 pm

I don't get it. Why is this making the headlines right now with a comment loike this inside:

In an interview with the Toronto Star, Jorgensen claims that in the film Mrs Holly says: “There’s no question. I was certain it was him in the video, but when I held his head in my hands and looked in his eyes, there was no question that was my brotherâ€Â

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 01 May 2013 10:18 pm

I'm 66. I was in from 66 to 68. I was discharged at 20. This guy was a Staff Sgt. so he would have had a number of years on my at that time. So we are talking about half a century almost and encroaching senility. The mind is a powerful tool to one who dearly wants something bad enough. She needs closure. He could be playing on that. I also don't believe anybody could forget their language of birth through adulthood, no matter HOW long it's been since it was spoken. Additionally, had he been injured to that extent, he would have probably forgotten who he was as well.

If he IS Robertson, then he didn't want to be found as too many in VN speak English. Frankly, I don't buy it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 01 May 2013 10:46 pm

I am not questioning the alternative story - sounds convincing; I simply don't get why all the sudden this appears world wide in the reputable newspapers despite of the DNA proof (also mentioned in the comments under the article).

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 May 2013 12:35 am

When it come to films, any controversy is good for the film.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 02 May 2013 6:24 pm

Maybe I am a bit weird but I don't think this kind of controversy is good for a documentary movie. If not your post, I would probably like to see it (once having an opportunity). Now I am completely not interested :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 May 2013 9:46 pm

Why do you think the Kardashians are so popular as a soap opera in the US. Especially with all the negative publicity. Welcome to reality TV. Sometimes a subject is much more interesting with negativity thrown in as well.

Why do people always slow down to a crawl to view a car wreck? :wink: