Singapore Expats

any idea what's the average income for senior web developer

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
daryledesilva

any idea what's the average income for senior web developer

Post by daryledesilva » Sun, 21 Apr 2013 10:15 pm

hi all,

i just started working here in singapore and already signed a contract with my employer. i'm happy with my starting pay but still,

i would like to get an idea of how much do a SENIOR WEB DEVELOPER can earn (in average) here in singapore.

informative replies are very much appreciated!

thank you!

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sun, 21 Apr 2013 10:41 pm

IMO there's a lot of variability or range in the answer...
I'd hazard between $4,000 for a local to $14,000 for an expat who can manage teams as well.
Now I'm called PNGMK

daryledesilva

Post by daryledesilva » Mon, 22 Apr 2013 9:57 am

offshoreoildude wrote:IMO there's a lot of variability or range in the answer...
I'd hazard between $4,000 for a local to $14,000 for an expat who can manage teams as well.
wow that's a lot for an expat! well that was eye-opening. thanks for the reply!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Apr 2013 10:38 am

Those types are few and far between I reckon. We've expats on 5 or 6K as well. I'guess the majority, truth be known.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

daryledesilva

Post by daryledesilva » Mon, 22 Apr 2013 12:50 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Those types are few and far between I reckon. We've expats on 5 or 6K as well. I'guess the majority, truth be known.
oh i see. well i can see that i'm still quite below the median of the salary range for this profession. oh well, i'll just ask for an increase when the right time comes. :) thanks!

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 22 Apr 2013 1:22 pm

daryledesilva wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:IMO there's a lot of variability or range in the answer...
wow that's a lot for an expat! well that was eye-opening. thanks for the reply!
Good PM's are well paid. Lousy Web developers aren't. It's very much industry dependent as well. Coding for a non for profit is not the same as coding for a high end s/w house.
Now I'm called PNGMK

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 23 Apr 2013 7:12 pm

Web developers are dime a dozen in Singapore. There are throngs of Indians who know Java and .Net here and many of them trailing spouses working on LoCs for as little as $2.5-$3.5k

I would say in the IT skills spectrum, web development is one of the lowest if not the lowest.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Tue, 23 Apr 2013 8:35 pm

Wd40 wrote:Web developers are dime a dozen in Singapore. There are throngs of Indians who know Java and .Net here and many of them trailing spouses working on LoCs for as little as $2.5-$3.5k

I would say in the IT skills spectrum, web development is one of the lowest if not the lowest.
True - I forgot the S-pass value will drive their wages down. They're basically PHP hacks aren't they?
Now I'm called PNGMK

daryledesilva

Post by daryledesilva » Wed, 24 Apr 2013 10:35 am

offshoreoildude wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Web developers are dime a dozen in Singapore. There are throngs of Indians who know Java and .Net here and many of them trailing spouses working on LoCs for as little as $2.5-$3.5k

True - I forgot the S-pass value will drive their wages down. They're basically PHP hacks aren't they?
well that kinda lowered my spirits :(

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 24 Apr 2013 10:55 am

daryledesilva wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:

well that kinda lowered my spirits :(
Daryle, What's the difference between a web developer and a SENIOR web developer? Unless someone is a totally junior just starting out, then you're going to know about object oriented programming, you're going to know Java and PHP, and you're going to know one or more development frameworks. How does one get to be senior? Years? I've had juniors with whiz bang skills... I don't think you serve yourself with "senior" as it creates a distinction that doesn't really exist... OK... maybe in a MNC where they create 40 different pay grades to promote you to nowhere over a decade.

The real money is to be made in web DESIGN... and if you are a good developer, you'll have a sense of what makes a website truly great... then... you'll get paid. But most web developers can't tell the difference in building a picnic table out of 2 x 4 lumber, and creating a dining table out of highly finished cherry wood. If you can tell the difference, you'll make money, if not... well.... ???

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 24 Apr 2013 11:31 am

In our MNC everybody who is not graduate is called senior. So it means nothing.