Singapore Expats

Am I crazy?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
twalk82

Am I crazy?

Post by twalk82 » Mon, 22 Apr 2013 1:42 am

Hi all.

I have been a keen reader of this forum for a couple of months. Have found it very informative and played a big part in me accepting an offer to work in Singapore so many thanks to all.

But I have a concern regarding sentiment towards foreign workers.
I am currently in the UK and am waiting to see if my visa application is successful. It seems to me that the atmosphere is deteriorating but is it something that should make me think twice about coming over?. Its quite hard to gauge the true feeling being so far away. My job is regional so I wonder if I would be better off somewhere else nearby.
Just wondered what peoples thoughts are.

Many thanks and keep up the great work.

Toby

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Apr 2013 6:58 am

Depends on how think your skin is.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 22 Apr 2013 8:59 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Depends on how think your skin is.
and what colour it is.... as a white I know I have a lot less crap thrown my way than my indian coloured friends.
Now I'm called PNGMK

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Am I crazy?

Post by AngMoG » Mon, 22 Apr 2013 10:13 am

twalk82 wrote: But I have a concern regarding sentiment towards foreign workers.
I am currently in the UK and am waiting to see if my visa application is successful. It seems to me that the atmosphere is deteriorating but is it something that should make me think twice about coming over?. Its quite hard to gauge the true feeling being so far away. My job is regional so I wonder if I would be better off somewhere else nearby.
Just wondered what peoples thoughts are.
Well, as osod said - depends on the color of your skin as well. And more than the question of being comfortable, the other consideration should be longevity. Visa policies have been changing quite a bit recently, so even if you get a pass now, does not necessarily mean it will get renewed when its time is up, because the criteria could have moved by then. In general, the higher the pay, the more secure the visa (from what I have read and heard).

If your job is truly regional, it then depends where most of your team and/or your clients are and will be. That will probably be your most important decision factor for now.

Also note that your salary will go a lot further in most other cities in the region (except Hong Kong) than it does here...

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 22 Apr 2013 10:46 am

Don't worry, those who shit on foreigners will stay away from you most of the time. Not a huge problem yet, just our injured ego. :)

twalk82

Post by twalk82 » Mon, 22 Apr 2013 3:10 pm

Thanks everyone. Some of the comments I have read on various websites came as a bit of a shock to me. Had visions of it ending up like the London riots!!
But my skin is quite thick so I will see happens.
Thanks

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Mon, 22 Apr 2013 3:43 pm

twalk82 wrote:Thanks everyone. Some of the comments I have read on various websites came as a bit of a shock to me. Had visions of it ending up like the London riots!!
But my skin is quite thick so I will see happens.
Thanks
You're reading into things WAY too much. This is Singapore, not Columbia, nothing will happen to you in person - it's all hype and people jumping on the 'anti-foreigner' bandwagon because they lack intelligence and simply follow the herd, rather than making an informed judgement of what is better for the greater good of Singapore. And, of course, in a face-saving society it's all done from the comfort of one's home whilst hiding behind message boards to preserve one's anonymity.

Work for an international firm and you'll have no issue getting work (if you're any good). Work for a local firm and they are that short sighted they'd rather cut off their noise to spite their faces, meaning they'd choose a local who is crap, rather than employ a foreigner who is any good.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 22 Apr 2013 4:14 pm

@ Twalk82

Don't worry about it, local web forums can easily become a focus of 'hate'. Put it this way, it's government policy that allows the foreigners (aka FT) to be in SG: But you're never going to see a forum discussion along the lines of 'Isn't it great that we have all this FT here sharing their knowledge, skills with the locals, and paying so much in taxes'.

You're very unlikely to get any such behaviour to your face.