Singapore Expats

10 things I hate about Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
iamsen
Regular
Regular

Post by iamsen » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 2:56 pm

Hannieroo wrote:They touched you? I've had that few times, I put the dog on the verge but I stay in the path. I just stop so they have to walk around if they don't go single file by choice.

I don't like the FT thing. It shouts Alien, not from here and Better than you. Neither of which I think is necessary or conducive to being accepted.
I was basically tip-toeing off the edge of the path and they smacked me with their shoulders.

Agree with the FT thing, it's a stupid made-up word. I think it's just the higher-ups not willing to use the 'immigrant' word because it would put citizens and foreigners on equal footing.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 4:01 pm

That is not nice, lamsen.

That's a bit cowardly, if people want to call you a c*** they should at least use a language they know you'll understand.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 4:46 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:
Hannieroo wrote:That's what I figured and you get that everywhere. I'm not jumping on a muddy verge because some mannerless youth young enough to be my child thinks he's hard.

Other stuff that is clearly racist has happened but there isn't much you can do with that one apart from ignore it.
Hanni - you're a woman correct? ANY male touching or speaking to you in a way you don't like is ground for an 'outrage of modesty' complaint. Take their picture on a phone and make a police complaint. The penalty will most likely be financial compensation towards you ('compounding').

Believe it or not; the SPF take this complaint quite seriously - it's guaranteed by the women's charter.

(PS; in the complaint - use the words 'outraged' and 'in fear of the situation getting much worse' - i.e. implying a possible sexual motive).
Definitely a good move and it will teach the young punk a lesson he's not likely to forget either. And you can possibly get a new coach bag out of as well. :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 5:09 pm

I understand the sentiment and appreciate it but I can't help thinking if foreign women use the laws designed to protect them from verbal or physical assault to punish rudeness however motivated then we could end up removing the deterrent if the perpetrator thinks the punishment might end up being the same anyway.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 5:14 pm

Hannieroo wrote:That is not nice, lamsen.

That's a bit cowardly, if people want to call you a c*** they should at least use a language they know you'll understand.
Quite. They do it because they're stupid, and they assume you won't understand. That's why it is fun to dish it back at them in spades :) The alternative is to turn around and fix them with a steel-eyed stare, whilst smiling lightly, and add the smallest of amused snorts. Cue silence + withering ...

I'm not saying it happens often, just once or twice a year IME (that I'm aware of).

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 11:55 am

Adding people who cannot be bothered to get their MRT card out of the wallet or handbag and hold us all up while we wait for them to position said wallet or handbag in the right position for the scanner to read the card.

Lazy, lazy, lazy.

Probably also true in other countries of course.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Thu, 18 Apr 2013 8:52 pm

Although as I said earlier that I don't like the name of the thread because I don't want to be a part of a 'hate' thing that has to do with Singapore....

...but, that thing I hate just happened tonight, with an amusing twist:

On the bus,

older Chinese man in aisle seat, window seat empty; next stop younger Chinese man gets on, wants to sit; older guy does the Singapore Twist, not getting up and forcing younger guy to squeeze past him to the seat.

But younger guy is wearing a knapsack, which clocks older guy in the face!

The Universe is now in balance for a few short moments.

It was like poetry, or slapstick - one rudeness instantly repaid with rudeness in some local-on-local action.

Sooner8

Post by Sooner8 » Fri, 03 May 2013 6:27 am

Hannieroo wrote:I am, yes. I can honestly say I have not encountered anything that could be construed as sexual comment, not even when I accidentally waited alone for my husband in the corner outside the Delfi.

I do have a fairly good f.o face left over from living somewhere where most people assumed I was a Russian so obviously a hooker and I am quite old.

But thank you, I shall bear that in mind.

So, bearing all of this in mind would you let a 15 year old boy out to walk the dog at 9pm or so. He's 5'10.
Hello all. My 1st post here. Reading this thread made me decide to register. My wife (N. Slavic origin) and I have been lurking here reading about life in Singapore for a possible life as expats. This comment about Russian got me a bit worried about such stereotypes. Hopefully, it was made in jest by Hannieroo.

Must say that this thread is very interesting and very helpful for us to gain some insights in to life in this country. I have been to SIN before just as a tourist and of course, did not really experience any of what I have read here. I was single then and was told by young tour guide of the 5 C's :D. That's the extent of it.

Still a thought, in terms of a possible move, but this forum is proving very helpful already.

Maybe, I can smack talk (err. I meant discuss) with the Ravens fan, about his American Football team, when the situation warrants :wink:. I suspect as the new NFL season gets underway, there will be a few occasions.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 03 May 2013 6:54 am

:mrgreen:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Sooner8

Post by Sooner8 » Fri, 03 May 2013 8:56 am

Somewhere back in this thread there was mention of scenes being cut from movies. That got me thinking about services like NetFlix. Are there movies on NetFlix that one could not access due to contents/scenes deemed to be unfit for SIN audience? Or are services like NetFlix immune?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 03 May 2013 9:01 am

Sooner8 wrote:Somewhere back in this thread there was mention of scenes being cut from movies. That got me thinking about services like NetFlix. Are there movies on NetFlix that one could not access due to contents/scenes deemed to be unfit for SIN audience? Or are services like NetFlix immune?
No netflix so no problem.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

gailwynand
Regular
Regular

Post by gailwynand » Fri, 03 May 2013 9:29 am

nakatago wrote:
Sooner8 wrote:Somewhere back in this thread there was mention of scenes being cut from movies. That got me thinking about services like NetFlix. Are there movies on NetFlix that one could not access due to contents/scenes deemed to be unfit for SIN audience? Or are services like NetFlix immune?
No Netflix without a VPN, anyway. :wink:

Sooner8

Post by Sooner8 » Fri, 03 May 2013 9:38 am

gailwynand wrote:
nakatago wrote:
My daughter will be devastated without access to all the Sesame Street episodes that we access via NetFlix for her. So, is having a Virtual Private Network legal if it gives access to this service that is not available to general citizenry?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 03 May 2013 10:04 am

gailwynand wrote:
nakatago wrote:
VPN --> making yourself look like you're in a different country.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Fri, 03 May 2013 10:04 am

There is nothing illegal about using VPN here - this is not China or Iran ;)
They just cut scenes out of cable / local on-demand TV, in order to protect the innocence of the local children and adults. :P