Singapore Expats

Do International Health Insurance plans work in Singapore?

Discuss the different insurance options from car to health insurance.
tarheelinasia

Do International Health Insurance plans work in Singapore?

Post by tarheelinasia » Tue, 18 Dec 2012 5:41 am

Hi All,

I am considering an international health insurance plan (e.g., Integra Global Premier, IMG plans, Aetna International) as I am self-employed and will soon have no health insurance coverage.

Does the coverage under these plans (generally, no one plan specifically) apply in Singapore? Has anyone had difficulty getting claims processed due to SG doctors or the insurance underwriters?

Thank you all for any information and advice.

Cheers

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Tue, 18 Dec 2012 10:58 am

I use Bupa with no issues. Maybe you should ask the company you are opting to go for what their panel of hospitals are like, Bupa said pretty much everywhere!
nutnut

tarheelinasia

Post by tarheelinasia » Sun, 23 Dec 2012 3:42 am

Thanks very much - I will check that out

Cath C
Regular
Regular

Post by Cath C » Sun, 23 Dec 2012 12:55 pm

We use Cigna and don't have any problems. I've also worked with a couple of MNC's that use Cigna for all their expats. Might be worth a look.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 9:26 am

vs Bupa and Cigna, are there cheaper / local insurers covering the same ?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 11:10 am

ecureilx wrote:vs Bupa and Cigna, are there cheaper / local insurers covering the same ?
AFAIK, only Chartis/GlobalHealth in Singapore offer similar expat policies and the cost is not cheaper.

Expat policies included evacuation and home country insurance for long term care. No local policy offers this.

If you only want Singapore coverage it will be cheaper, but your coverage ends the moment you get on a plane or boat.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 11:33 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
ecureilx wrote:vs Bupa and Cigna, are there cheaper / local insurers covering the same ?
AFAIK, only Chartis/GlobalHealth in Singapore offer similar expat policies and the cost is not cheaper.

Expat policies included evacuation and home country insurance for long term care. No local policy offers this.

If you only want Singapore coverage it will be cheaper, but your coverage ends the moment you get on a plane or boat.
I am not worried about evacuation etc .. more on the local coverage.

Let me look up Chartis anyway.

Thanks for the head up.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 19 Mar 2013 12:24 am

ecureilx wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:

I am not worried about evacuation etc .. more on the local coverage.

Let me look up Chartis anyway.

Thanks for the head up.
Be careful with Chartis. The buggers excluded a broken ankle I got a year earlier just because I changed my policy deductibles. Others have said they are very slow pay.

You might consider any local insurance package and then get travel insurance via ING... it's not too expensive, covers evacuation and such.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 19 Mar 2013 9:12 am

They are generally ok, but you have to follow the policy to the point as they do not act flexibly and reasonably even if your action would save them some money. I.e. they refused to pay the bills for calling a doctor for a home visit (I was very sick) as what I was supposed to do was to arrange an ambulance to any clinic and than back home.

Luminar

Post by Luminar » Thu, 18 Apr 2013 1:50 pm

Why don't try AIA Platinum Health? Limit per policy year S400,000 and overall life time policy limit S$2000,000. Most of claim reimburse, on As Charged basis. The coverage quite good just browsing aia.com.sg for further infos
Wish to know new friends

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 18 Apr 2013 1:52 pm

Luminar wrote:Why don't try AIA Platinum Health? Limit per policy year S400,000 and overall life time policy limit S$2000,000. Most of claim reimburse, on As Charged basis. The coverage quite good just browsing aia.com.sg for further infos
So it is not ALL CLAIM RE-IMBURSED .. right ?? :)

And no direct billing - still you need to fork out the dough and wait and wait ..

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 18 Apr 2013 2:06 pm

AXA suck donkey ass. As soon as it expires I'm going for Bupa or similar.
Now I'm called PNGMK