Singapore Expats

Certificate of clearance for Singaporeans

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Certificate of clearance for Singaporeans

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 18 Apr 2013 12:49 pm

Just wonder if somebody knows anybody in a similar situation...
A good friend of mine (Singaporean) wants to get COC from police in order to apply for UAE visa.
Police officer requires official letter from the embassy as a documentary proof that COC is needed (WTH! why they can't issue it on request???): http://www.spf.gov.sg/epc/cert_issued.htm
The friend is calling UAE embassy, she is told they do not issue such letters, other people (non-Singaporeans) already come with their COCs at the time of application. Embassy refuses to cooperate (they even mentioned that they already had a similar case with other Singaporean, that guy didn't get his COC, thus - visa).

So what now - no way for Singaporeans to get visa to UAE???

Actually, she needs to go for a face-to-face interview in Singapore with a potential UAE employer, she can't do it without COC. Without the interview they can't apply for visa, so visa application itself can't be given as a proof that COC is required. Some kind of a deadlock...

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Re: Certificate of clearance for Singaporeans

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 18 Apr 2013 12:59 pm

Sergei82 wrote:Just wonder if somebody knows anybody in a similar situation...
A good friend of mine (Singaporean) wants to get COC from police in order to apply for UAE visa.
Police officer requires official letter from the embassy as a documentary proof that COC is needed (WTH! why they can't issue it on request???): http://www.spf.gov.sg/epc/cert_issued.htm
The friend is calling UAE embassy, she is told they do not issue such letters, other people (non-Singaporeans) already come with their COCs at the time of application. Embassy refuses to cooperate (they even mentioned that they already had a similar case with other Singaporean, that guy didn't get his COC, thus - visa).

So what now - no way for Singaporeans to get visa to UAE???

Actually, she needs to go for a face-to-face interview in Singapore with a potential UAE employer, she can't do it without COC. Without the interview they can't apply for visa, so visa application itself can't be given as a proof that COC is required. Some kind of a deadlock...

That's a weird one, most countries just charge a fee and issue it happily. Try this; ask the potential employer to issue a letter requesting assistance in issuing a visa and COC if required to "whom it may concern".

OOPS - edit - I see the link says that won't work.

Does the UAE embassy have an online indication in a web page that a COC is required? If so print it out and take it in.

Frankly - this is BS and so damn typical of Singapore to stuff their CITIZENS (you know - the ones who pay the cops and elect the MPs) around.
Now I'm called PNGMK

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 18 Apr 2013 1:04 pm

Did you take too many steroids?

SC don't need visas for short visits to the UAE.

"All holders of Singapore passport valid for more than six months are welcome to enter the UAE, and no longer need to obtain a visa to enter the country if the duration of stay is less than one month."

http://www.uaeembassy-sg.com/Visa.htm

IF she's being asked to apply for a WORK visa in Singapore by her new employer then she needs her new employer to ask the relevant dept in UAE to request the COC in writing or provide a form that says it's needed(that's my reading anyways).
Now I'm called PNGMK

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 18 Apr 2013 1:11 pm

Despite my steroids, it is not about short visit, it is about work.
Maybe, UAE visa application itself may serve as an appropriate requirement, but the thing is - employer requires COC before the interview - even before visa application is considered.

Looks like, something wrong from the potential employer's side: COC application form even contains a departure date - it looks like it is given only before SC is leaving the country. No way to prove your innocence in any other case... looks like.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 18 Apr 2013 2:04 pm

Sergei82 wrote:Despite my steroids, it is not about short visit, it is about work.
Maybe, UAE visa application itself may serve as an appropriate requirement, but the thing is - employer requires COC before the interview - even before visa application is considered.

Looks like, something wrong from the potential employer's side: COC application form even contains a departure date - it looks like it is given only before SC is leaving the country. No way to prove your innocence in any other case... looks like.
She should talk to her local MP and get him to intervene. It's a common requirement of many employers that you provide a COC now. The SPF is definitely behind the curve on this.
Now I'm called PNGMK

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 18 Apr 2013 2:21 pm

I wonder, is there any logical reason for them refusing to give it just on request? Why it should be bound only to departure? And how about local employers - how they can check criminal records? The interview is still in Singapore, so maybe there is another way to check criminal records?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 18 Apr 2013 3:56 pm

Did someone actually tell your friend that only a letter from the embassy will suffice?

The website for SPF says:
Applicant must show documentary proof from the relevant consulate/immigration authority/government authority which clearly indicates that the production of the COC is required.
It say nothing about a letter. Why not just print off the COC requirement from whatever the UAE website for Visas with this rule is and bring that in?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 18 Apr 2013 4:10 pm

Also for what it's worth, I just spent about 15 minutes trying to find the requirement that you need this for the Visa. I can't seem to find it anywhere.
I was looking here: http://www.mofa.gov.ae/mofa_english/

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 18 Apr 2013 4:24 pm

Sergei82 wrote:I wonder, is there any logical reason for them refusing to give it just on request? Why it should be bound only to departure? And how about local employers - how they can check criminal records? The interview is still in Singapore, so maybe there is another way to check criminal records?
She could consult a lawyer - I believe (not 100% certain) that they can request peoples criminal records from SPF through a different system. Based on this - the lawyer could then prepare a notarized letter outlining her record (if any).
Now I'm called PNGMK

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 18 Apr 2013 4:28 pm

Can't. Too generic. Need to have a least proper name and personal data of the applicant and requesting entity on it.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 18 Apr 2013 4:48 pm

Sergei82 wrote:Can't. Too generic. Need to have a least proper name and personal data of the applicant and requesting entity on it.
The letter can state that.

Dear UAE Toys r US;

I, Muzzammil, public notary in Singapore; having performed an extensive search of the SPF database - on behalf of Ms Sergei82, can certify that she does not have a criminal record in Singapore.

Stamped...
Now I'm called PNGMK

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 20 Apr 2013 1:13 pm

Sergei82 wrote:Can't. Too generic. Need to have a least proper name and personal data of the applicant and requesting entity on it.
i know of one high commission in singapore that hands out a generic piece of paper (on official letterhead, but photocopied) that just states the certificate is needed for visa purposes.

no name, id number, date, etc.

whoisit

Post by whoisit » Mon, 22 Apr 2013 3:37 pm

We were in a similar situation last year. My wife needed a CoC and we did not have a letter from the requesting party. The lady at the counter advised us to appeal to be able to apply for CoC stating reasons why we need it along with copy of application being submitted. A decision is made on the appeal within 1-2 weeks and once approved you can apply for the CoC which take another 2-3 weeks if I remember correctly. Kind of a convoluted process but it worked for us. See template we used below.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Head Criminal Records
Criminal Investigations Department (COC)
391 New Bridge Road
Blk C Police Cantonment Complex
Singapore 088762

RE: APPEAL TO APPLY FOR THE CERTIFICATE OF CLEARANCE (COC) FOR SINGAPORE

I wish to make an appeal to be able to apply for a Certificate of clearance for

Name / Date of Birth/ ID (Passport # etc.,)

A statutory declaration of no criminal conviction is not acceptable to the {requesting party} as evidence that I do not have criminal convictions in regards to this application, therefore a Certificate of Clearance is required.

Yours sincerely,

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

{Address}
{Contact}
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 22 Apr 2013 6:45 pm

Certificate of clearance is required and can be applied for various reasons as pointed from the previous poster
Application of PR oversease, work , etc.
Cantonment complex is the place , no need letterhead, proof of purpose of travelling and letter from UAE requiring this COC
COC is a police check background both locally and internationally to make sure you have no skeleton in the cupboard
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Fri, 26 Apr 2013 1:42 pm

Went for taxico's advice first and it really worked perfectly well. Maybe, whoisit's way is also correct, didn't try.
Not sure what's the reason taxico did not put details of his advice here on forum, but just in case I will not disclose it as well, unless he doesn't mind.