Singapore Expats

Is the switch from international school to local school easy

Discuss various International School options for your children here.
Riraa

Is the switch from international school to local school easy

Post by Riraa » Thu, 28 Feb 2013 6:31 pm

Hi,
My kids are going to International School which is proving very expensive for us. Pls tell me how tough it can be for the kids academically to switch from an international school to a local school as they are in grade 3 and k2 right now.

Thanks!

Jinki

international to local school

Post by Jinki » Mon, 04 Mar 2013 11:38 pm

The syllabus between International School and Local school is different. But as time goes by I'm sure your kids will adapt well. You might need a local tutor to teach your kids. That is what we did when our kids enter local school.
Good luck :wink:

zoeclarke

Post by zoeclarke » Thu, 07 Mar 2013 11:23 am

HI
Im having trouble finding a local school for my daughter who also went to International School but we also found it too expensive

Jinki

Post by Jinki » Fri, 08 Mar 2013 2:36 pm

Hi zoeclarke

It might be abit of trouble to get into a local school.But its all worth it. What you can do is, go to the school and check if there is any slots available. Most school will tell us that they do not have slots but went I told them that my kids is currently homeschool with the local syllabus, they call us for a test. Out of 5 schools that we go to, 3 call us back for a test. Local school have various standard. Apparently my kids did not do well on the test from 1 of the school but they told us nicely that we could come back for another test when we are prepared.
Have you choose the schools that you want your kids to be in? It will be better if you have more choice of schools.

We are having a meetup for "homeschool/local school" mum next week at Holland village. If you want to join us, you can email me [email protected]
zoeclarke wrote:HI
Im having trouble finding a local school for my daughter who also went to International School but we also found it too expensive

kio

warning for expat parents

Post by kio » Sat, 16 Mar 2013 11:09 pm

warn you there are habitual fraud by a certain local tutor.
She made several e-mail addresses and several accounts in this forum and good at pretending to be different persons(expat parent).

She plan and lead to hire herself and con expat parents.

Only recently I found out she is still fishing expat parent in this forum and make Facebook group as well.

She often came up topic like homeschooling or local syllabus or entering local school.

Please be careful.

lowersmiths

Post by lowersmiths » Sat, 16 Mar 2013 11:37 pm

wouldn't imagine it would be a great shock for either kid. they are still young and adaptable.

international schools seem to be businesses, preying on the insecurities of parents unwilling to embrace the country they live in.

Singaporean kids do damn well in the global scheme of things, so why fear throwing your lot in with them if you live here?

As for tuition teachers ... rather silly and unnecessary

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Sun, 17 Mar 2013 10:56 am

lowersmiths wrote:wouldn't imagine it would be a great shock for either kid. they are still young and adaptable.

international schools seem to be businesses, preying on the insecurities of parents unwilling to embrace the country they live in.

Singaporean kids do damn well in the global scheme of things, so why fear throwing your lot in with them if you live here?

As for tuition teachers ... rather silly and unnecessary
Most local parents provide additional tuition for their children. If you want your children to be successful you'll need to do the same.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 17 Mar 2013 1:34 pm

Frankly, if you teach your children how to pay attention in class, get proper meals, enough sleep and the parents show considerable interest in the teaching of the child, while they might not top the class (although there always seems to be at least one or two in each school) they will learn how to think rather than just regurgitate answer to 10 years series question, forgetting all within 6 months of finishing. This is why the NS boys cry. They didn't learn how to think. They didn't learn the subject matter, only the answers to set questions.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 8:18 pm

Ouch SMS--I miss you (and the Forum!). :D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 11:02 pm

Wow! Are you back or just happened to cruise by? We've missed your valuable input to the local school system and western students. How is you daughter doing? Welcome back even if only for a visit (you don't have to be a stranger you know!). :D
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Thu, 18 Apr 2013 12:41 am

I've been back and forth for the past few months--husband is still in Clementi! My daughter truly misses her classmates at Pei Tong--and I miss the academic rigor. :) Truly!