Singapore Expats

First exposure to a morning commute on MRT from Pasir Ris ..

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Barnsley
Manager
Manager

First exposure to a morning commute on MRT from Pasir Ris ..

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 10:05 am

Suffice to say I wont be doing it again.

I dont care how late the bus is gonna be.

I appreciate that the weather was bad and there were traffic issues but the MRT was so full it was crazy. It wasnt helped by the morons fighting there way on at every station all the way to Paya Lebar where thankfully I got off.

If thats what its like between 8 and 9 every morning I would going to work at 7am just to avoid it.

Anybody who complains about overcrowding........ STOP shoving your way onto the MRT when there isnt enough room already!! :shock:
Life is short, paddle harder!!

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 10:29 am

You need to try HK or Japan where they employ people on the platforms to push commuters into the doors and make sure nothing sticks out before they close.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 10:41 am

Lifetime employment for unemployed sumo wrestlers in Japan. :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 11:25 am

ScoobyDoes wrote:You need to try HK or Japan where they employ people on the platforms to push commuters into the doors and make sure nothing sticks out before they close.
Just waiting for them to get employed here then ........ A missed ooportunity to get folk into work.

I still am amazed at how packed the MRT was.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: First exposure to a morning commute on MRT from Pasir Ri

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 1:54 pm

Barnsley wrote:Suffice to say I wont be doing it again.

I dont care how late the bus is gonna be.

I appreciate that the weather was bad and there were traffic issues but the MRT was so full it was crazy. It wasnt helped by the morons fighting there way on at every station all the way to Paya Lebar where thankfully I got off.

If thats what its like between 8 and 9 every morning I would going to work at 7am just to avoid it.

Anybody who complains about overcrowding........ STOP shoving your way onto the MRT when there isnt enough room already!! :shock:
Yeah, one rainy morning I took the MRT from Changi to Paya Lebar. I had to wait for four or five trains at Tanah Merah before I finally got in... It sucked.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Re: First exposure to a morning commute on MRT from Pasir Ri

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 2:23 pm

zzm9980 wrote: Yeah, one rainy morning I took the MRT from Changi to Paya Lebar. I had to wait for four or five trains at Tanah Merah before I finally got in... It sucked.
At least they appear once every 3 minutes. If you go back from Tanah Merah to Changi, you will have to wait for one as long as you were waiting for all those 5!

iloverice
Regular
Regular

Post by iloverice » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 2:30 pm

I never experienced being 'pushed' by the 'the officer' like in Tokyo and Seoul (I saw it on Youtube and also from my friends who experience it themselves) but listen to their voice shout ' PLEASE MOVE INSIDE" many times on your ears kinda stress me out already, especially if you standing right in front of the door. This morning, I suspected they will start to 'push' us anytime soon because I saw more than 5 of them standing on one side of the platform.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 3:42 pm

Quote from SMRT EX-CEO, Ms Saw Phaik Hwa

“Even at its most crowded, an SMRT train carries 1,400 passengers. This is “not crush loadâ€Â

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 5:33 pm

I recall something of a hoo-ha many moons back where locals were doing a partial reverse-commute.

So if they faced the waits you mention (ZZM), then they'd reverse commute to the end of the line (say Bedok to Pasir Ris), and then come back from Pasir Ris on initially an almost empty train. It is kiasu, but there is some wily logic it to it, as you remain seated and air-con'd during the time you would have been standing, sweating, stressing and then engaging in a wrestling match to even get on.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 5:45 pm

JR8 wrote:I recall something of a hoo-ha many moons back where locals were doing a partial reverse-commute.

So if they faced the waits you mention (ZZM), then they'd reverse commute to the end of the line (say Bedok to Pasir Ris), and then come back from Pasir Ris on initially an almost empty train. It is kiasu, but there is some wily logic it to it, as you remain seated and air-con'd during the time you would have been standing, sweating, stressing and then engaging in a wrestling match to even get on.
The folks doing exactly what you mentioned were not helping matters. :D

However when the train is absolutely rammed having a seat is not much benefit as its harder to get momentum up to get through the crowds and get off. :D

LPC

Post by LPC » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 5:51 pm

Free MRT rides to city before morning rush hour
One-year trial will start from June 24; programme likely to cost govt $10m

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/premium ... r-20130417

Will this really help? ... people like us who work on shifts can't get to enjoy this ... dang!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 5:53 pm

Even if you don't work shifts, it doesn't help anybody who doesn't work in the CBD or in the vicinity of the 16 dismount stations.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

LPC

Post by LPC » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 5:57 pm

well, we do enjoy "camping out" :lol:

OMG! It's a conspiracy! asking us to get into work EARLY! and yes... my working area is in the list. Need to feedback to company to open up a "sleeping bay"...

LPC

Post by LPC » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 6:01 pm

oh, and back to Barnsley, I HATE taking the subway, I'd wake up early and take a bus ride. It's fortunate for me that the interchange is close by; the downside is... the journey is an hour's ride.

I'd get to snooze on the bus so it works out well for me! :P

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 6:03 pm

Ride a Motorbike to office guys! Ride a Motorbike.
I even come home for lunch :cool: