Singapore Expats

Working Visas for Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
alufolie

Working Visas for Singapore

Post by alufolie » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 5:54 pm

Answered - Thank You
Last edited by alufolie on Wed, 29 May 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 12:49 am

If your husband is coming over on an employment pass (EP), you will receive a dependant's pass (DP). You can apply to the Ministry of Manpower for a Letter of Consent (LOC) which will permit you to work in Singapore.

A lot of places say "Singapore citizen or PR only" because they know that for the type of job and what they are paying, they will not get a work permit approved. It would appear that an LOC is easier to obtain so long as you don't try for things like hair dressing, geomancy, karaoke, and the such. Many employers are also unaware of the LOC or don't know how it works, and it will be necessary to educate them.

You really will need to be here to seriously job hunt on a LOC. Also look at some of the sticky threads in Careers which demonstrate how you could work as a freelancer on a LOC.

Best of luck.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Re: Working Visas for Singapore

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 12:59 am

alufolie wrote:Hello all, I'm new to the forum.

In 7 weeks my husband is leaving to work in Singapore he received an internal transfer within his company. However I will be staying in Australia until 2014 as we have a lease and other things that we can't just leave.
I was wondering if I would be able to get some information about if I am able to work in Singapore. I don't actually hold a bachelors degree & I'm wondering if this is a pre-requisitve for a work visa there? I've been working as a broadcast engineer for the last 10 years and most of the jobs I've seen that are suitable say they are only open to Singapore nationals / permanent residents only. Thanks in advance.
There's a reasonable (broadcast) media industry in Singapore I believe, some of the channels like Discovery are managed and put together (broadcast?) out of Singapore. The local media corp group is fairly large as well. I'd probably look for freelance work in the region as well not just based out of Singapore though.

Don't worry about the visa part til you're here. As a DP you do have some edge as explained above.
Now I'm called PNGMK

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Working Visas for Singapore

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 10:18 am

offshoreoildude wrote: There's a reasonable (broadcast) media industry in Singapore I believe, some of the channels like Discovery are managed and put together (broadcast?) out of Singapore. The local media corp group is fairly large as well. I'd probably look for freelance work in the region as well not just based out of Singapore though.
BBC is boosting their presence here, and so is CNN :) .. and a few other international media agencies doing occasional broadcasts out of Singapore

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

LoC/LTVP/DP

Post by AngMoG » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 11:47 am

Strong Eagle wrote:If your husband is coming over on an employment pass (EP), you will receive a dependant's pass (DP). You can apply to the Ministry of Manpower for a Letter of Consent (LOC) which will permit you to work in Singapore.
I just did a double take on this... and double checked. Apparently, according to MoM:
  • * Dependants of S Pass Holders need to apply for EP/S-Pass/Workpass separately
    * Dependants of EP holders (>4000) can get a letter of consent, or apply for EP etc. if they like and if on DP
    * Anyone on LTVP (spouses of PRs can only get LTVP, apparently spouses of EP holders can get it instead of DP) has to apply for EP etc. separately as well
    * Spouses of SCs may get LTVP+, in which case they only need LoC
So to summarize: Spouses of EP holders are better off than spouses of PRs. Is that correct? If yes, then wow.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: LoC/LTVP/DP

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 10:53 pm

AngMoG wrote:So to summarize: Spouses of EP holders are better off than spouses of PRs. Is that correct? If yes, then wow.
Generally, that is correct. This gap was fixed for Singapore citizens with PR spouses with the introduction of the LTVP+, but no such actions have been taken with respect to spouses of PR's.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: LoC/LTVP/DP

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 18 Apr 2013 1:47 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
AngMoG wrote:So to summarize: Spouses of EP holders are better off than spouses of PRs. Is that correct? If yes, then wow.
Generally, that is correct. This gap was fixed for Singapore citizens with PR spouses with the introduction of the LTVP+, but no such actions have been taken with respect to spouses of PR's.
I guess you meant spouse of Citizens who are on Long Term Pass !!

BTW, for EP Holders, the main pass holder's basic pay to qualify to apply for DP for spouse has been increased + the possibility of bringing In-Laws has vanished ..

P2 required to get LTVP for Parents, and no more LTVP for In-laws.

Yes, to some extent, EP holders are better off than PR's in terms of benefits re: spouses / parent ..