Singapore Expats

Can I still enter SG even if my income tax wasnt paid

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Halertph

Can I still enter SG even if my income tax wasnt paid

Post by Halertph » Fri, 12 Apr 2013 6:54 pm

I used to work in Sg in 2007. I had a dispute with my company and decided to go back to my home country after 6 mos. My company wanted to stay in fact they offered an increase and told them I have to fly home first and think abt the offer. I decided to resign via email and my boss wanted me to go back to fir another talk. Told them that its unnecesarry and my decision is final. Btw, i left because of their management style. My boss said that he will not issue my clearance and i have to pay my taxes. I was surprised that tax in Sg. In short, i havent paid my income tax up until now and never got a clearance fr the company. I wanted to visit Sg again however im worried that ill be refused to enter Sg because of my unresolved employment status and income tax. Is my fear valid? How can I clear up my name?

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Fri, 12 Apr 2013 7:20 pm

You could check first with iras.gov.sg whether you actually have an upaid debt (or need to file). Following that pay; and then go to Singapore.
Now I'm called PNGMK

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 12 Apr 2013 7:22 pm

For 6 months of working if this was your entire SG employment that FY your taxes may be minimal or no taxes at all depending on your income. Why don't you contact IRAS and clarify it with them?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 12 Apr 2013 7:54 pm

x9200 wrote:For 6 months of working if this was your entire SG employment that FY your taxes may be minimal or no taxes at all depending on your income. Why don't you contact IRAS and clarify it with them?
Yeah, this. Your company may owe you money (Unless you had a mandatory notice period in your contract that you forfeited on)

Halertph

Post by Halertph » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:18 pm

x9200 wrote:For 6 months of working if this was your entire SG employment that FY your taxes may be minimal or no taxes at all depending on your income. Why don't you contact IRAS and clarify it with them?
I did email them several times before amd they are giving me a straight answer. :-(

gonzales
Regular
Regular

Post by gonzales » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:23 pm

If you were normally resident for 183 days or less you are not income tax liable.

How many days were you in SG for?

gonzales
Regular
Regular

Post by gonzales » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:25 pm

I'm open to correction on this but if you were here on EP, the tax liability sits with your employer.

I remember we had EP holders here & our company was responsible for holding & paying their Income tax liability.

Am I wrong?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:55 pm

Lots of incorrect information being put out in this thread........

1. You only have no tax liability IF you worked and were in Singapore for less than 60 days.

2. If you were here more than 60 days but less than 183 days you will be taxed at a flat rate of 15% regardless of how little or how much you earned.

3. If you were here more than 183 days, then you will be taxed at regular resident rates.

4. It is the employers responsibility to pay your taxes and deduct the taxes paid from your final salary. However, if you did a runner, and the employer was not able to return your work pass, then, in all probability, you name/passport number and face will be registered as a tax dodger and in all likelihood, one of the three will flag ICA when you enter the country.

5. As you did a runner, the employer would probably avoid liability for not timely filing the IR-21 as you didn't officially quite according to what you wrote, but went home and would think about it. Therefore, in all probability, the burden of proof would fall you you.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 1:03 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:2. If you were here more than 60 days but less than 183 days you will be taxed at a flat rate of 15% regardless of how little or how much you earned.
Actually, the wording is 15 percent or regular resident rates, whichever is LARGER.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 6:47 am

True, too true. But that kind of income/tax rate is well out of my area of competence! Specially for less than 6 months work. :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers