Singapore Expats

In case you didn't know, this is on this weekend

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Brah
Manager
Manager

In case you didn't know, this is on this weekend

Post by Brah » Sat, 13 Apr 2013 12:33 pm

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 15 Apr 2013 4:04 am

'One of the smallest countries in the world, it is home to nearly 5 million people.'
http://www.extremesailingseries.com/ven ... WsHhT5y1ok

They say Singapore is 'one of the smallest countries', er, but that is behind the 59 others that are smaller by both land area and GDP.

Hamming up the 'smallness' and associated supposed vulnerability is wearing a little thin me thinks, especially when the Daddy-O US 7th Fleet is moored-up somewhere off Changi Beach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_size[/i]

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 15 Apr 2013 10:32 am

Maybe it's supposed to read "One of the top 60 smallest countries"
nutnut

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 7:10 am

Dang! Enough wind in Singapore to actually raise a cat hull up in the air that far? Amazing.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 7:15 am

Strong Eagle wrote:Dang! Enough wind in Singapore to actually raise a cat hull up in the air that far? Amazing.

I doubt it. Probably had some old boat alongside with a hawser pulling them up. However light the boat.... what is pictured is unlikely in SG IMHO.

But hey, who knows...

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 8:37 am

JR8 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Dang! Enough wind in Singapore to actually raise a cat hull up in the air that far? Amazing.

I doubt it. Probably had some old boat alongside with a hawser pulling them up. However light the boat.... what is pictured is unlikely in SG IMHO.

But hey, who knows...
I'm too lazy for the forensics but if I may posit a hypothesis...

"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: In case you didn't know, this is on this weekend

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 8:55 am

It would appeal that it was taken with a semi-wide angle lens from a low level look at the inward bent of the building on the left & right background and the huge difference in the length of the two hulls. Don't think it's been shopped but I reckon the lift was considerable less than what it appears.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:08 am

for fairness, there maybe a high-tech wind turbine blowing wind some where ;)

Oh, recently, when I was in East Coast park a foreign visitor was amazed with the waves, even though not strong but fair enough considering there was no wind - and when I said the waves were actually due to the vessels moving he refused to believe it ..

I could have gone on and expanded the list of 'artificial stuff' that happens here .. like in Night Safari, at a particular spot, every time you pass by in the tram, birds make noise .. as if no cue .. I decided to let the visitor be amazed at Unique Singapore ;)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:41 am

Additionally, as one who helped crew a 5-log Chesapeake Bay Log Canoe as a boy/young man, it could have been a very light breeze. I'm guessing this is so as the effect could have been gained (looking at the very light wake and lack of a bow wave on the hull still in the water) by sailing broadside into the breeze taking full force from the side. It would look like the photo was taken from a chase boat specifically for that photo op.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:52 pm

40ft cats like that don't need a lot of wind to get air like that and it does get windy enough down there.

Sadly that didn't happen when I was down there, there was only a light breeze. Even in light air they moved fast but weren't flying.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 11:12 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pB02HNDZt0

My mate out on his off the East Coast

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 11:24 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9DXeCKOVeE

My mate having a disagreement with a tree stump!