Singapore Expats

Help identify this building in Rochor/Singapore? What street

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 5:00 pm

GaryinPennsylvania wrote: I wish to marry not-so-squished-together 'boxes in the sky' with our gorgeous uninterrupted woodland views.
You should go look at any of the 'concept art' photos for new condo developments. They look exactly like what you describe! Of course, they don't exist, but it's still fun to look at.

I started to post a couple in this thread, but you can find them all over just by Googling for new Singapore condos:
http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic93049.html

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 5:33 pm

All these curves are reminding me of Miami art-deco architecture.

Yeah, I know, but they must have pirated the style from somewhere else, as almost nothing is 'Uniquely Singapore'

What's the Batman-HQ building down near Raffles Hospital? It's like something straight out of 1930s Gotham City. I maintain that it is a pomp-strosity* of an architectural confection!

* New word (TM): Pompous/monstrosity

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 6:23 pm

JR8 wrote:All these curves are reminding me of Miami art-deco architecture.

Yeah, I know, but they must have pirated the style from somewhere else, as almost nothing is 'Uniquely Singapore'

What's the Batman-HQ building down near Raffles Hospital? It's like something straight out of 1930s Gotham City. I maintain that it is a pomp-strosity* of an architectural confection!

Parkview Square

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkview_Square
Last edited by nakatago on Sun, 14 Apr 2013 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 6:24 pm

JR8 wrote:All these curves are reminding me of Miami art-deco architecture.

You mean the former Golden Landmark Hotel (now the Landmark Village Hotel).

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_rWjPdIXyH0U/T ... 040997.jpg
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

GaryinPennsylvania

Re: Help identify this building in Rochor/Singapore? What st

Post by GaryinPennsylvania » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 8:24 pm

Pal wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:I've seen a building or two that look like this (although much taller) amongst the older condos in East Coast. I know I can see one from Big Splash. I'll pay attention next time and post it here if I can figure out which one exactly it is.
I think you are referring to Hawaii Tower at Meyer Road:
http://condo.singaporeexpats.com/condo/822/HAWAII-TOWER
Yes - 'Circular' is GOOD!
One of my favorite of such designs is Russian:

So So So Stunning! Every room is wildly open and airy....yet exclusively private. I LOVE it!
"Argue For Your Limitations, and sure enough they're yours." ~ Richard Bach

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 8:33 pm

Yes, Pompstrosity is a great term for that Art Deco nightmare! I was reminded of Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged, a singularly dry and somewhat depressing book....this building just really doesn't seem to belong AT ALL! Thank you for the Wiki link - I should've looked it up myself, but kept forgetting!

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 8:38 pm

GaryinPennsylvania wrote:
Pal wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:I've seen a building or two that look like this (although much taller) amongst the older condos in East Coast. I know I can see one from Big Splash. I'll pay attention next time and post it here if I can figure out which one exactly it is.
I think you are referring to Hawaii Tower at Meyer Road:
http://condo.singaporeexpats.com/condo/822/HAWAII-TOWER
Yes - 'Circular' is GOOD!
One of my favorite of such designs is Russian:

So So So Stunning! Every room is wildly open and airy....yet exclusively private. I LOVE it!
Yes - and that big concrete pillar is hollow for all the poop that goes straight into the water off that beach (I'm not a fan of developments on the beach...)
Now I'm called PNGMK

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 9:48 pm

nakatago wrote: Parkview Square

'Locally, the building is often referred to as "Gotham building", due to its Art Deco architectural style that resembles the fictional Gotham City of Batman legend.'

Wow.... so it's not just me then.... genuine lol!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 9:53 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: You mean the former Golden Landmark Hotel (now the Landmark Village Hotel).

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_rWjPdIXyH0U/T ... 040997.jpg

Um... the pic is the right 'Batman building', but GLH/LVH is still there and the two are a couple of blocks apart.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:01 pm

uscate wrote: I was reminded of Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged, a singularly dry and somewhat depressing book....

Yep [jinx], me too, totally!

And I found the book extremely tiresome, the same point seemingly repeated 100 times over 1,000 pages. I mean, what kind of do'er has time to get through all of that? <irony>

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:06 pm

JR8 wrote:
nakatago wrote: Parkview Square

'Locally, the building is often referred to as "Gotham building", due to its Art Deco architectural style that resembles the fictional Gotham City of Batman legend.'

Wow.... so it's not just me then.... genuine lol!
Personally, I think of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_(film)
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:10 pm

JR8 wrote:
uscate wrote: I was reminded of Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged, a singularly dry and somewhat depressing book....

Yep [jinx], me too, totally!

And I found the book extremely tiresome, the same point seemingly repeated 100 times over 1,000 pages. I mean, what kind of do'er has time to get through all of that? <irony>
Depends. I was only 14 the first time I read it. (as well as the Fountainhead). It was a landmark year for me as I consumed more heavy literature that year than probably the next 25 years. Mein Kampf, The Rise & Fall of the Third Reich, and Darwin's Theory of Evolution were all on the same reading list. Wonder if that might be part of the reason I left organized religion the same year???? :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:12 pm

Also as part of a self induced reading program that year, I read most of Sinclair Lewis' works as well (I have an Autographed 1st edition of 8 of his volumes plus a personal letter signed by the man as well (not to me, but was in the collection of books I purchases at an estate sale along with around 50 other early/first editions)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:13 pm

GaryinPennsylvania wrote: So So So Stunning! Every room is wildly open and airy....yet exclusively private. I LOVE it!

Influenced by the cubist house Falling Water, by Frank Lloyd Wright?

p.s. apologies to Mods. My photo-editing SW is not functioning today, and it absolutely refuses to save a resized-down version of this image.

p.p.s. Edit to add. The irony of that buildings name is that the steel bar in the cantilevered reinforced concrete began rusting so badly that not so long ago they had to carry out emergency renovations to stop it from falling down.
Last edited by JR8 on Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:53 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Depends. I was only 14 the first time I read it. (as well as the Fountainhead). It was a landmark year for me as I consumed more heavy literature that year than probably the next 25 years. Mein Kampf, The Rise & Fall of the Third Reich, and Darwin's Theory of Evolution were all on the same reading list. Wonder if that might be part of the reason I left organized religion the same year???? :-|
Hmmm... the only one of those I've read is Darwin. Yes Atlas Shrugged might work a bit better when you're younger and less politically worldly. But I read it at c35, and was, well, kinda already pretty well en route to being self-made, plus I totally agreed with her objectivist philosophy. I'd got her point by page 100 or so. What's the female character called, Dancy or something {checks: it's Dagny}. This friend who gave me the book was mesmerised by it, she 'became' Dagny. She would wonder around the flat positing imploringly to the wall, arm outstretched, 'Who is John Galt!?'. A complete nutjob!

Have you read Crime & Punishment (Dostoevsky), All Quiet on the Western Front (Remarque), Our Man in Havana (Greene), Brave New World (Huxley), 1984 (Orwell), Farenheit 451 (Bradbury), Rivers of Time (Swain), Vanity Fair (Thackeray), Heart of Darkness (Conrad), Catcher in the Rye (Salinger), History of the world in 10+1/2 chapters (Barnes) and Birdsong (Faulks)? And so on, and so on, so many more... All enriching classics IMHO.