Singapore Expats

10 things I hate about Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 12:51 am

iamsen wrote:Happened several times this week. A couple or group of friends walking 2~3 abreast hogging the pathway, I step to the side so we can both pass. freak bitches shove me into the grass.

Next time, I'm shoving back.
Sounds like an entry for the Backlash thread, which was intended to capture actual incidents like these that, who knows, maybe one of the local papers will read and get the other side of the story. iamsen, Hanni, tell it here: http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic ... sc-30.html

My guess is there are more stories like this than we know of and get reported, but people have to step forward and tell their experiences. I have to wonder now if it's like news about Malaysia that's in the ST - overemphasized whereas violence here may be under-reported. I have nothing to back that up but neither would surprise me.
Hannieroo wrote:I don't like the FT thing. It shouts Alien, not from here and Better than you.
Hanni - FT is a messed-up term which incites self-inflicted agonies to those who created and perpetuate it. We had nothing to do with it nor do we label ourselves as such. We're just foreigners.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 1:26 am

Hannieroo wrote:They touched you? I've had that few times, I put the dog on the verge but I stay in the path. I just stop so they have to walk around if they don't go single file by choice.

I don't like the FT thing. It shouts Alien, not from here and Better than you. Neither of which I think is necessary or conducive to being accepted.
It is used in part because the government need to persuade the electorate of the need for ANY foreigners being in SG at all. Getting a work visa requires demonstrating that one has skills that are not available from locals, so the moniker does have some form of rationale. That said, it doesn't really matter whether it makes sense or not, as many locals are simply going to despise you anyway.

p.s. iamsen. You could try what I have done before, play them at a game of kiasu chicken. Refer to my post of 3-Feb on page 6 of this topic :twisted: :) If you're got the nerve to do it, it would also be quite interesting 'going postal' (hysterically screaming and yelling) at someone who rams you.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 1:27 am

It just seems designed to raise hackles.

I don't know if they do it because I'm female or white or have a dog. It's always men in their early twenties so it might just be extreme bad manners and posturing for their friends. I don't live in an expat area so I can't compare.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 1:42 am

Hannieroo wrote:It just seems designed to raise hackles.

I don't know if they do it because I'm female or white or have a dog. It's always men in their early twenties so it might just be extreme bad manners and posturing for their friends. I don't live in an expat area so I can't compare.
Yep, swaggering 'teenage-style' posturing gets my vote.

re: my previous suggestion of 'going postal', here is a masterclass example.... :)
Scientology: BBC reporter losing it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxqR5NPhtLI

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 6:57 am

Hannieroo wrote:I don't know if they do it because I'm female or white or have a dog. It's always men in their early twenties so it might just be extreme bad manners and posturing for their friends. I don't live in an expat area so I can't compare.
It is about extreme bad manners and probably the kiasu thing. If they walk single they try to do the same and it was around before the current hysteria.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 9:44 am

That's what I figured and you get that everywhere. I'm not jumping on a muddy verge because some mannerless youth young enough to be my child thinks he's hard.

Other stuff that is clearly racist has happened but there isn't much you can do with that one apart from ignore it.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 9:57 am

Hannieroo wrote:That's what I figured and you get that everywhere. I'm not jumping on a muddy verge because some mannerless youth young enough to be my child thinks he's hard.

Other stuff that is clearly racist has happened but there isn't much you can do with that one apart from ignore it.
Hanni - you're a woman correct? ANY male touching or speaking to you in a way you don't like is ground for an 'outrage of modesty' complaint. Take their picture on a phone and make a police complaint. The penalty will most likely be financial compensation towards you ('compounding').

Believe it or not; the SPF take this complaint quite seriously - it's guaranteed by the women's charter.

(PS; in the complaint - use the words 'outraged' and 'in fear of the situation getting much worse' - i.e. implying a possible sexual motive).
Now I'm called PNGMK

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:10 am

I am, yes. I can honestly say I have not encountered anything that could be construed as sexual comment, not even when I accidentally waited alone for my husband in the corner outside the Delfi.

I do have a fairly good f.o face left over from living somewhere where most people assumed I was a Russian so obviously a hooker and I am quite old.

But thank you, I shall bear that in mind.

So, bearing all of this in mind would you let a 15 year old boy out to walk the dog at 9pm or so. He's 5'10.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:21 am

Hannieroo wrote:I am, yes. I can honestly say I have not encountered anything that could be construed as sexual comment, not even when I accidentally waited alone for my husband in the corner outside the Delfi.

I do have a fairly good f.o face left over from living somewhere where most people assumed I was a Russian so obviously a hooker and I am quite old.

But thank you, I shall bear that in mind.

So, bearing all of this in mind would you let a 15 year old boy out to walk the dog at 9pm or so. He's 5'10.
Yes I would let a 15 yo to walk the dog - provided he has some traffic awareness and isn't in a hormonal cloud of absentmindedness.

As for 'outrage of modesty' it's merely a suggestion.
Now I'm called PNGMK

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:40 am

No, I appreciate the assurance that if anyone does that it will be dealt with. I have experienced some looking that made me uncomfortable but not from people I would assume to be local.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 11:46 am

Hannieroo wrote:No, I appreciate the assurance that if anyone does that it will be dealt with. I have experienced some looking that made me uncomfortable but not from people I would assume to be local.
As for the Russian/Ukraine/East European hooker thing - lots of them in Singapore although Sergei tells me they are all secret rocket scientists.
Now I'm called PNGMK

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 12:07 pm

Good to know if I ever fall on hard times. Although not one person has said "russky?" to me here which is refreshing.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 12:38 pm

offshoreoildude wrote: As for the Russian/Ukraine/East European hooker thing - lots of them in Singapore although Sergei tells me they are all secret rocket scientists.
Knowing what 'red rocket' means (see Urban Dictionary), I think you and Sergei are unknowingly in agreement. (Sorry for taking this way of course...)

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 12:52 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote: As for the Russian/Ukraine/East European hooker thing - lots of them in Singapore although Sergei tells me they are all secret rocket scientists.
Knowing what 'red rocket' means (see Urban Dictionary), I think you and Sergei are unknowingly in agreement. (Sorry for taking this way of course...)
Well he made some outrageous claims about them such has "high paid IT banking execs" and "brand name models" - of course that was the Ukrainians.
Now I'm called PNGMK

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 1:56 pm

Hannieroo wrote: Other stuff that is clearly racist has happened but there isn't much you can do with that one apart from ignore it.
Oh yes there is. And here is an example how.

You will get racist back-chat. For example, out at the heartland mall, you get in a lift with a whole bunch of locals. Behind you 2-3 are chatting loudly and one, playing to the audience, refers to the 'chee-bye ang-moh' or what ever.

You however have had a brief schooling in local profanity, so you not only know what the person is saying, you know how to respond, very publicly too.

Cue: very public shaming + miscreant wishing to vanish into hole in floor.

You just need to learn a few basic swear words (Hokkien) to recognise when it happens, and 2-3 belittling rejoinders.