Singapore Expats

salary for the life scientist with experiences

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Micheallim123

salary for the life scientist with experiences

Post by Micheallim123 » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 12:14 pm

Hi
I am the foreigner looking for the job in Singapore and thinking about settling down here. I have the experience of 2 years in life science field in USA. I carried my experience, techniques and skill to apply and contribute in the Singapore life science market.
But I cant seem to find a job here. not even the invite for interview is coming along with my job applications. and I am beginning to think that it is because of my salary I earned previously in US. my salary was around SGD 2,700 per month.
Im just wondering that is that salary amount too high for the singapore employer to consider in hiring new employee? Or do they just not want to hire the foreigners ? I had mentioned the previous salary amount in my resume as per their requests, but did not put any amount in the salary expectation.
can anyone suggest why I am not receiving any offer, even the interviews? Cuz I just can not put my finger in it.!!

Thanks for your input in advance.

gonzales
Regular
Regular

Post by gonzales » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 12:24 pm

Hi Micheal,
I've been in Life Science in SG for 10 years now, Pharma, Bio & Medtec.
My initial reaction is that your salary expectation is not that high for Tech. level & above.

Some questions:

What level are you at? Associate, Operator, Tech, Scientist, Engineer, Manager...?
What field are you in specifically?
Are you here on Visitor pass? Whats your immigrant status here?
Whats your nationality?

Micheallim123

Post by Micheallim123 » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 12:37 pm

hello gonzales
thanks for your reply. I am at the level between associate and supervisor cuz I did do some supervising stuff in previous job.
Yes, I am here on visiting pass now. my field are mostly related to microbiology, fermentation (upstream/downstream) and chemistry. I worked in pharma and biotech company before and mainly responsible for the fermentation and its broth sample analysis and process. I thought the job market of fermentation and microbiology are good here. I also saw some job openings regarding to them. But the job listings on this fields, what I am aware of it, are continuously opening for the new applications and the closing dates are just pushed further.
I believe that I am suited to some of these roles,but just not received any news about these jobs after I applied.
and I am bilingual to both English and Chinese.

gonzales
Regular
Regular

Post by gonzales » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 12:43 pm

Michael,

You are correct GSK Bio have a huge facility here in Tuas. Novartis green lit another project in Tuas also. THis is also a Vccines plant but is in the construction phase:

(URL CENSORED DUE TO COPYRIGHT ISSUES)

there are a dedicated Life Science recruiters here in SG.

You can Google Berkley recruitment or www.idealhealthcare.biz

Good luck.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 12:51 pm

I actually thought "Life Scientist" was going to be a monicker for something completely different and complete baloney! (Like I'm a Female Body Inspector - FBI).
Now I'm called PNGMK

Micheallim123

Post by Micheallim123 » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 12:54 pm

Thanks again gonzales.
I am looking at the links you left.
Im just wondering that what salary range that the positions as research officer/assistant in uni, institutes and hospitals is offered. do they just open for the singaporeans and prs only?
and do you think that the life science jobs market is good for foreigners ?

Thanks for your valuable input.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 1:02 pm

A lot will depends on what you can bring to the negotiating table that a similarly equipped local graduate can bring. If there are sufficient numbers being trained here locally, the MOM may not entertain the hiring of low level workers in that industry. Getting a job here is a two part process. First you need a job offer and then, the employer must apply for and convince the Ministry of Manpower WHY they need to hire a foreigner instead of a similarly equipped local/PR.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

gonzales
Regular
Regular

Post by gonzales » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 2:34 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:I actually thought "Life Scientist" was going to be a monicker for something completely different and complete baloney! (Like I'm a Female Body Inspector - FBI).
Crooked mind? :lol:

gonzales
Regular
Regular

Post by gonzales » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 2:39 pm

Micheallim123 wrote:Thanks again gonzales.
Im just wondering that what salary range that the positions as research officer/assistant in uni, institutes and hospitals is offered. do they just open for the singaporeans and prs only?

Hi Michael,
I can't make comment on the Uni's or the hospitals, sorry, I just don't know.
Did you look into A*STAR website - there are the big semi state R&D Life Science guns here in SG.

No, jobs are not reserved for Singaporeans & PR's but as Sunday Morning Staple correctly stated you need to demonstrate a unique selling point that cannot easily be fulfilled from the current pool of Candidates.

Good luck & Talk to the people in Berkley - they're quite well connected.

Micheallim123

Post by Micheallim123 » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 2:49 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:I actually thought "Life Scientist" was going to be a monicker for something completely different and complete baloney! (Like I'm a Female Body Inspector - FBI).
yeah.. some are in the complete baloney, sometimes. FBI are proud of doing so ... :D
Last edited by Micheallim123 on Thu, 11 Apr 2013 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Micheallim123

Post by Micheallim123 » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 2:53 pm

gonzales wrote:
Micheallim123 wrote:Thanks again gonzales.

Hi Michael,
I can't make comment on the Uni's or the hospitals, sorry, I just don't know.
Did you look into A*STAR website - there are the big semi state R&D Life Science guns here in SG.

No, jobs are not reserved for Singaporeans & PR's but as Sunday Morning Staple correctly stated you need to demonstrate a unique selling point that cannot easily be fulfilled from the current pool of Candidates.

Good luck & Talk to the people in Berkley - they're quite well connected.

many thanks. appreciated, gonzales.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 9:47 pm

A*STAR likes to lure people in... make sure you're well looked after during your entire stay with them, not just the initial year(s).