Singapore Expats

Help: Moving from Tokyo to ​Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
yumijp

Help: Moving from Tokyo to ​Singapore

Post by yumijp » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 7:38 pm

Hi all. My husband and I are possibly relocating to Singapore by the end of this month. We both come from Vietnam and have lived in Tokyo for 5 years. We are seeking for advice about Visa for me.

Currently we are expecting our first baby in October and our doctor advises me this month is the best time for me to go by air. However, the job offer that my husband received requires that he must pass the 3 month probation period, which means at least I have to wait until August to go to Singapore. Then the company will apply Dependent Pass for me. To make it clear, the company will apply working visa for my husband within one month since the day he comes to Singapore (possibly he will get the visa in May). We are afraid that by that time it is too risky for me to go by air. And now we plan to go to Singapore together first because Vietnamese can visit Singapore without visa within one month. But we are not pretty sure about more two months when my stay expires. From what I read on ica.gov.sg, I could apply for extension of short term visit pass, including visitor on short term visit or visitor seeking medical treatment, but both require completed form signed by local sponsor, which we could not find at this time.

So, could you please give us an advice on my case? Are there any other ways for me to extend my stay in Singapore after 1 month (I only need to stay there 3 months, then my husband's company will apply Dependent visa for me)? We also seek for ways to register at hospital for my medical checkup during pregnancy.

Thank you very much for taking ur time reading and we look forward to hearing from you all asap.

Regards,
Yumi
:)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 7:57 am

Your husband should have his work visa before he enters Singapore. Don't arrive on a SVP (social/short-term visit pass) and then wait for the work permit.

But more importantly, do you know which work permit/employee pass your husband will get? If not, tell us his BASE salary and profession. This will give an idea as to what permit he will get. That permit will even dictate if he can bring you along.

As a Vietnamese citizen, I would not suggest showing up and expecting to get extensions on your SVP. Many Vietnamese citizens show up and work illegally, so it is very difficult for them to get extensions on their SVPs. The assumption is they are here to work without a visa.

The employer should apply for your dependent pass at the same time as the employment pass. If your husband doesn't work out they can cancel both quite easily. If they won't do this, you will need to go back to Vietnam (or stay in Japan if your visa their permits) until you have a dependent pass.

yumijp

Post by yumijp » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 11:28 am

Thanks for your advice, zzm9980.

My husband's company is the international headquarter of a Japanese civil engineering company. In accordance with Japanese calendar, April is the first beginning for everything, so they require my husband to appear as soon as possible. The offer is SGD4300 per month with accommodation provided by the Company (for family the maximum area of 100m2 depending on our choice). The position is Senior Engineer. Now they process the visa for him and he will get the Working permit maybe within two weeks or right after he enters Singapore.

So we are now considering apply for short term visit pass (visitor seeking medical treatment) for me after we come to Singapore. In fact, I have contacted to KK Hospital and ask about my case. But they require me to book an appointment to assess my condition first. As about the documents needed for me to apply for this type of visa, I have to contact ICA. Therefore, we decide to go to Singapore first. If something unexpectedly happen, I can still come back to Tokyo or even Vietnam and wait until his probation ends. The most important thing we consider is medical check for our baby.

I want to clarify if it is ok for me to apply for short term visit pass as mentioned above.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 1:31 pm

His work permit and visa are the same thing. He doesn't get the visa, then the work permit.

He is just over the $4000/month threshold to be able to get you a dependent pass. His salary will only qualify for an S or Q pass. Based on his age and qualifications (and employer), it's a bit up in the air if he'll get those. You might want to review this page:
http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx

And then read some of the other threads about people applying for those passes.

I'm not sure if you'll qualify for an SVP based on medical conditions. Good luck!

yumijp

Post by yumijp » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 1:43 pm

ok I got it, the company has processed the visa and my husband will received it soon. I also contacted to the hospital and it will be fine. Thanks a lot, zzm9980 :)!

tabloid

Post by tabloid » Tue, 09 Apr 2013 3:00 pm

Don't stress yourself too much over the move, enjoy the last trimester of your pregnancy. Life will be difference once you are a mother.