Singapore Expats

Relocating to Singapore from China (non-China citizen)

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
danicata

Relocating to Singapore from China (non-China citizen)

Post by danicata » Mon, 01 Apr 2013 10:37 am

Hello to everybody

I may be relocating within the next few months to Singapore from China (my self and my wife are not Chinese citizens, we are European - just an info).

We will be moving with one year daughter and approx. 6 kg dog (small breed).
My office may possibly be in Gateway East or Parkway (Beach road).
Our basic requirements for accommodation are as follows:
1. Type of accommodation: 2 bedrooms in serviced condo (gym, swimming pool, green area)
2. Location hints:
a. Max 30 mins commute to office, possibly by MRT
b. Max 15 mins by car to hospital with good pediatricians and general practitioners
c. Max 15 mins by car to shopping mall (grocery shopping)
d. Green area surrounding
e. Dog allowed in public areas of the condo
3. Budget below 5'000SGD

I would appreciate any suggestion on where to stay based on above criteria. I would accept to commute for longer than 30 mins if this would allow all other criteria listed above to be met (particularly the availability of green area, we do not like living in streets with high traffic)

Thank you very much in advance for any help that you can provide
Kind Regards

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 01 Apr 2013 10:58 am

Expectations look reasonable (assuming you will be provided with a car). Look for rental ads or contact estate agents.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 01 Apr 2013 11:23 am

Your expectations for "b" and "c" are subjective. If you'll take any hospital (which will likely be considered "good" for most of the world), and what passes off as a local grocery store, your criteria covers at least half of Singapore.

Now if you want a grocery store that would be comparable to something in the west, focus on locations near a 'Fairprice Finest' or one of the larger Cold Storages. A good standard recommendation for expats is to look on East Coast. You'll be well within your commute times for the office. You actually have two well stocked grocery stores with a 5 minute walk of each other: Fairprice Finest and Cold Storage in Parkway Parade (Not the same Parkway you're working at). You also have a lot of speciality organic/cater to expat food shops in the mall and nearby on Joo Chiat Rd. Parkway East hospital would be a 5 minute drive or 20 minute walk. Not that those are needed; There are numerous clinics and other doctors offices all in the area. I usually just go to the Raffles clinic inside of 112 Katong myself.

lolipop99
Regular
Regular

Post by lolipop99 » Sun, 07 Apr 2013 11:19 am

Beware when bringing dogs here and make sure that your neighbours are dogs friendly, while most Singaporeans love dogs, some foreigners and even local are very crazy and they may kidnap the dog if they found his presence annoying, the aunty next to my appartment keep threatening that my dog may be kidnapped if i let him out walking, that is so sickening, no dog will want to be confined in a room for the whole day

tabloid

Post by tabloid » Tue, 09 Apr 2013 2:58 pm

Singapore is a very comact island, it is quite easy to satisfy your criteria. Areas like East Coast, Kallang and Lavendar MRT areas would do. Car ownership is one of the costliest in the world so you might want to look for a condo that is near the MRT station to savesome costs and time.