Singapore Expats

Why do the children go to bed so late here?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Why do the children go to bed so late here?

Post by Hannieroo » Mon, 08 Apr 2013 8:09 am

I've noticed when popping out to do stuff later in the day that the children here are still up and about at 9 and 10pm. During the holidays and jet lag adjustment our youngest was too but it seems term time makes no difference here.
Looking at the local community club's list of activities for younger children (age 5 ish) they don't even start until 7.30pm and finish at 9pm. I assumed from that that children must start school later than I am used to but no, they start at 7.30am. So, what are they doing? Are they all knackered? Do they nap? Is this yet another uptight Brit thing?

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Re: Why do the children go to bed so late here?

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 08 Apr 2013 9:01 am

Hannieroo wrote:I've noticed when popping out to do stuff later in the day that the children here are still up and about at 9 and 10pm. During the holidays and jet lag adjustment our youngest was too but it seems term time makes no difference here.
Looking at the local community club's list of activities for younger children (age 5 ish) they don't even start until 7.30pm and finish at 9pm. I assumed from that that children must start school later than I am used to but no, they start at 7.30am. So, what are they doing? Are they all knackered? Do they nap? Is this yet another uptight Brit thing?
This drives me nuts as well; the reasons are;

1. Cooler temperatures at night.
2. The kids DO nap (often for an hour or so straight after school).
3. Their parents are idiots.
Now I'm called PNGMK

iamsen
Regular
Regular

Post by iamsen » Mon, 08 Apr 2013 11:00 am

I used to go to sleep by 8pm when still in primary school, but I was in the generation before tuition became compulsory.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Mon, 08 Apr 2013 12:11 pm

Surely compulsory school makes bedtimes more important.

I wondered if I was missing something like compulsory naps at school like Texas. Can't help thinking if the govt wants to raise the birth rate passing a compulsory bedtime for small children might help.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 08 Apr 2013 1:56 pm

Hannieroo wrote:Surely compulsory school makes bedtimes more important.

I wondered if I was missing something like compulsory naps at school like Texas. Can't help thinking if the govt wants to raise the birth rate passing a compulsory bedtime for small children might help.
The school my son goes to has been hammering this home to no avail. TV/Computers etc all conspire to distract younger kids.

The TFR is not really related to Singaporeans not having time to do it but rather their desire not to want to do it IME.
Now I'm called PNGMK

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Mon, 08 Apr 2013 4:23 pm

Well, I only have two so in position to judge, really.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 08 Apr 2013 4:36 pm

Hannieroo wrote:Well, I only have two so in position to judge, really.
You 1 in front of the average here.
Now I'm called PNGMK

colio
Regular
Regular

Post by colio » Mon, 08 Apr 2013 10:38 pm

We have 2 kids & we thought the exact same thing when we used to visit here from Australia. Now that we live here, we tried to stick to our normal sleep patterns from home but have found that the kids are going to sleep later & later each night! We can't pinpoint exactly why this is happening. Both kids go to school each day & they have full on days. We also often go swimming after school & so a further reason to make them more tired. It's also hot so that should be adding to their tiredness factor, yet they are going to sleep later & later!

The younger one (3.5) does often sleep during the day.. she doesn't usually nap at kindy so sometimes she has a late nap, not that we want her to, but sometimes she just does, so that does account for her going to sleep at night later. But the older one (close to 8) does not nap, has full on days, has to wake up earlier for school & is going to bed later.

Must be something in the Singapore air or a conspiracy against parents here!

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 09 Apr 2013 12:15 am

Really? Man, we've been here a month and I have noticed that the 5 year old is not settling as fast as he usually would but I put that down to delayed jet lag. It might get worse? :o

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Tue, 09 Apr 2013 9:06 am

colio wrote:We have 2 kids & we thought the exact same thing when we used to visit here from Australia. Now that we live here, we tried to stick to our normal sleep patterns from home but have found that the kids are going to sleep later & later each night! We can't pinpoint exactly why this is happening. Both kids go to school each day & they have full on days. We also often go swimming after school & so a further reason to make them more tired. It's also hot so that should be adding to their tiredness factor, yet they are going to sleep later & later!

The younger one (3.5) does often sleep during the day.. she doesn't usually nap at kindy so sometimes she has a late nap, not that we want her to, but sometimes she just does, so that does account for her going to sleep at night later. But the older one (close to 8) does not nap, has full on days, has to wake up earlier for school & is going to bed later.

I suspect it is the weather, in the evenings the humidity and temperature drop and it simply feels more pleasant.
Now I'm called PNGMK

colio
Regular
Regular

Post by colio » Tue, 09 Apr 2013 8:48 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:
colio wrote:We have 2 kids & we thought the exact same thing when we used to visit here from Australia. Now that we live here, we tried to stick to our normal sleep patterns from home but have found that the kids are going to sleep later & later each night! We can't pinpoint exactly why this is happening. Both kids go to school each day & they have full on days. We also often go swimming after school & so a further reason to make them more tired. It's also hot so that should be adding to their tiredness factor, yet they are going to sleep later & later!

I suspect it is the weather, in the evenings the humidity and temperature drop and it simply feels more pleasant.
That's a good observation.. I think there may be a lot of truth in that...

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 09 Apr 2013 9:11 pm

In this house it would feel far more pleasant if I was sat outside with a beer rather than on the stairs shouting "Bed!" every 5 minutes.

iamsen
Regular
Regular

Post by iamsen » Wed, 10 Apr 2013 4:42 am

colio wrote:The younger one (3.5) does often sleep during the day.. she doesn't usually nap at kindy so sometimes she has a late nap, not that we want her to, but sometimes she just does, so that does account for her going to sleep at night later. But the older one (close to 8) does not nap, has full on days, has to wake up earlier for school & is going to bed later.

Try some activities that would interest but dull the mind about an hour before you'd like them to sleep. Reading some LOTR maybe?

Avoid TV or computers.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 10 Apr 2013 8:51 am

iamsen wrote: Reading some LOTR maybe?
LOTR to a 3.5 and 8 yr old???

iamsen
Regular
Regular

Post by iamsen » Wed, 10 Apr 2013 4:25 pm

I jest. Try potter.