Singapore Expats

90 day tourist visa question

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
angMoh13

90 day tourist visa question

Post by angMoh13 » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 11:30 am

after my 90 day visa that i get as a US citizen is over, how long must i leave sg before i can return?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 12:14 pm

It is solely at the discretion of ICA.

I have heard of people going to JB and being turned away when returning because they weren't gone for at least five days. They may or may not have been ang moh, looked like you, or had a passport that looked like yours. Many highly subjective factors will come into play.

angMoh13

Post by angMoh13 » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 12:19 pm

zzm9980 wrote:It is solely at the discretion of ICA.

I have heard of people going to JB and being turned away when returning because they weren't gone for at least five days. They may or may not have been ang moh, looked like you, or had a passport that looked like yours. Many highly subjective factors will come into play.

so the standard is 5 days away to be able to come back?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 12:21 pm

angMoh13 wrote:

The longer, the better. Make a holiday trip :D

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 12:32 pm

angMoh13 wrote:

There is no standard but 5 days seems to be a kind of guideline. Trips to JB are common not only for the visa runners although if you do this on the very last day it will look pretty obvious. On top of this, you will never know how many days you are going to get on your visa after you are back.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Re: 90 day tourist visa question

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 1:06 pm

angMoh13 wrote:after my 90 day visa that i get as a US citizen is over, how long must i leave sg before i can return?
Go golf or spend the weekend in Bintan... ferry loads of people... much more likely to get re-stamped with a new 90 days. Or, pop on up to Bangkok or KL... this is touristy... which JB is not.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 1:10 pm

I've heard that going to JB may be considered not enough already. You should go farther than Johor, Bali etc... Maybe, Thailand.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 4:19 pm

angMoh13 wrote:

The point is there is no standard. Middle aged Ang Moh with a blue passport may get back in after 3 hours. His Vietnamese or Thai mistress half his age may not be able to even enter the first time she comes to the country. Your golfing holiday may work the first X times, but then you'll find yourself unsympathetically told to F'off on the X+1 time.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 4:20 pm

There is no "rule" so to speak, cause what you are doing is effectively illegal if you want to stay here for more than 90 days you should ensure you can apply for another type of visa, review the ICA webpage.

Leaving and returning repeatedly to renew your visa to flout the laws here and will just makes it harder for expats who actually work here by ICA tightening the legislation eventually.

I am sure you will be fine, but, If you are not working here, why do you need more than 90 days as a tourist? If you are working, you should not be doing so on a tourist visa...
nutnut

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 6:02 pm

you probably can do it once if you go to JB for a day trip, but coming back, dont expect a 90 days visa. more than lightly you will end up with a 7 days visa.

the system is there for a reason ;)