Singapore Expats

India tourist visits down 25%...

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 10:22 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
the lynx wrote:I may be the youngest and the only female in this thread (in case my opinions get discredited because of that) but I studied psychology as I can darn attest that rape happens all because the perpetrator (man or woman) does not inherently possess the healthy behaviour towards the members of opposite sex. Whether such problem is genetic or is nurtured in cultural, religion, geographical settings etc, rape is still wrong.

It can happen to anyone from any rung of society, country, community etc. So anyone who still try to say it doesn't happen that way is obviously a bigot, I daresay.
fantastic! someone who finally makes sense!
you do understand that you just agreed with what we all have been saying... :o

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 10:23 am

I agree with both x9200 & the Lynx. Raj has earned a masters from a prestigious reputed school that nobody outside of his country ever heard of. :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 10:24 am

morenangpinay, I really don't think he even has a clue.....
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 10:34 am

Sergei82 wrote:
the lynx wrote:...Sexual assaults still happen (that I won't deny) but at lesser degree and the long arm of law (and the pressure of established female rights movement) in those countries is always there to make sure that these perpetrators don't go scot-free.
How about Israel where a wife can complain to police that her husband raped her? Try to disprove that when the court is on the woman's side by default! But at least men will think many times before hurting women. :)
some countries have laws against violence against women and children.

also to assist women who are raped, police make it a point to have a women's desk and women police to be the first persons to talk to the victims which India has only done as of the gang rape incident and in case someone questions that information, it was in the news.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 10:39 am

the lynx wrote:
Sergei82 wrote:How about Israel where a wife can complain to police that her husband raped her? Try to disprove that when the court is on the woman's side by default! But at least men will think many times before hurting women. :)
That's an interesting point to bring up. I've heard of marital rape but short of Googling it, I'm not familiar with the context and how this is handled in judiciary system.
Ehem.. what the fact of being married or not has to do with the rape? Rape is the rape regardless of the legal or religious union and this is not like something in Israel only. If the wife doesn't want to have sex and is forcibly made to have it - this is the rape. Being married does not give anyone the right to have his or her partner a sexual slave ready to have sex upon any request.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 11:43 am

the lynx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: In a country where there are equal rights under the law AND enforced, they might stifle the "urge".

only my 2¢ worth
However, statistics that I provided earlier shows that this is not always the case.
The countries with gender equality incidentally are also have the highest rape incidents.
This disproves the theory that gender quality implies a reduced occurrence of rape.
Not necessarily. Sexual assaults still happen (that I won't deny) but at lesser degree and the long arm of law (and the pressure of established female rights movement) in those countries is always there to make sure that these perpetrators don't go scot-free.
A sexual assault or a rape what difference does it make ? It should be treated as a similar crime.
There are some pretty lopsided laws ( the Anti Dowry Law) against men in India too just like the post sergei made about Israel
that law is being misused too.
There laws and legal structures exist in every country for crimes but enforcement is something that never really happens in India.

I have a friend in Singapore here who was assaulted by her husband , the police came took him away kept him overnight and let him off.
I urged her to get a Personal protection Order, when she went to file for one, she was advised against it as this PPO could turn her husband even more violent and she was sent away.
You think this is Law enforcement or a solution ? the perpetrator is indeed scott free in this case.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 11:49 am

x9200 wrote:
the lynx wrote:I may be the youngest and the only female in this thread (in case my opinions get discredited because of that) but I studied psychology as I can darn attest that rape happens all because the perpetrator (man or woman) does not inherently possess the healthy behaviour towards the members of opposite sex. Whether such problem is genetic or is nurtured in cultural, religion, geographical settings etc, rape is still wrong.

It can happen to anyone from any rung of society, country, community etc. So anyone who still try to say it doesn't happen that way is obviously a bigot, I daresay.
fantastic! someone who finally makes sense!
Failing to understand yesterday that not all the crimes are reported and understanding what lynx wrote above, Sir, I think I can speak on behalf of many members of this forum, we are proud of you. A Master degree certificate form a Prestigious University will be sent upon request.
thank you.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 12:52 pm

Oh boy... Make sure you at least hover over and read the link's name if you don't click on it.

http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2013 ... -in-india/

[quote]When girls dedicated in local temples under the illegal devadasi system hit puberty, their virginity is auctioned off to the highest bidder. Traditionally girls in this district in south India undergo an 11-day purification ceremony following the onset of menstruation. The “first maturityâ€Â

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 12:56 pm

[quote="zzm9980"]Oh boy... Make sure you at least hover over and read the link's name if you don't click on it.

[quote]When girls dedicated in local temples under the illegal devadasi system hit puberty, their virginity is auctioned off to the highest bidder. Traditionally girls in this district in south India undergo an 11-day purification ceremony following the onset of menstruation. The “first maturityâ€Â
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 1:12 pm

Scantily clad white woman can easily rip somebody's balls off. Indians and Chinese are different though...

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 1:38 pm

[quote="zzm9980"]Oh boy... Make sure you at least hover over and read the link's name if you don't click on it.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 2:12 pm

When I think of India I usually think of Delhi, which is (unfortunately) the only part of the country that I've so far had a chance to visit. And that is where that horrific event which sparked this whole debate happened back in December. Hardly a rural location, I'm sure you'll agree.
Be careful what you wish for

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 2:22 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:When I think of India I usually think of Delhi, which is (unfortunately) the only part of the country that I've so far had a chance to visit. And that is where that horrific event which sparked this whole debate happened back in December. Hardly a rural location, I'm sure you'll agree.

my sincere condolences..

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 2:26 pm

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 2:29 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:my sincere condolences..
Thank you, but my visit was over 25 years ago and I really enjoyed it. My point though is that there does seem to be something inherently 'up' with Indian society as a whole that this kind of behaviour continues in the 21st century, often with apologists trying to explain it away as 'just' a criminal act and/or somehow the victim's fault.
Be careful what you wish for