Singapore Expats

How to wear a work shirt and don't sweat in Singapore?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
juansanchez

How to wear a work shirt and don't sweat in Singapore?

Post by juansanchez » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 4:06 pm

Hi there!

I live and work in Singapore and like majority of people, you see guys sweating over their working shirts. If you wear an undershirt is very hot since these are usually made for winter. If you don't, people can see your sweat and is embarrassing! Any solutions? :???:

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 4:14 pm

1) buy black (dark) shirt
2) don't go outside for lunch

Its pretty much impossible not to sweat completely - most of people you see in the office in the morning are wet.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: How to wear a work shirt and don't sweat in Singapore?

Post by JR8 » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 5:31 pm

juansanchez wrote:Hi there!

I live and work in Singapore and like majority of people, you see guys sweating over their working shirts. If you wear an undershirt is very hot since these are usually made for winter. If you don't, people can see your sweat and is embarrassing! Any solutions? :???:
My advice is do as the locals do, and move more slowly.

IME I only sweat heavily after having been outdoors, and only when I stop moving (no airflow). So when I get home, first thing I do is undress, often accompanied by 5 minutes under a cold shower.

The journey (say into work) is often simpler. Take it slow and if possible via a mode of transport that has air-con.

p.s. Also. Holding a cold wet flannel on the back of your neck helps trick your body into thinking it's not as hot as it actually is. If you're having a real problem, maybe see if you can keep a wet flannel in the fridge at both work and home?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 5:43 pm

I've noticed that I sweat more when using the local anti-perspirant/deodorants. I now use 'Axe' from the US (just a relatively cheap and common one with silly commercials in the US) and it helps a lot.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 6:17 pm

You'll get used to the heat over time, but before that happens try perspirex - it blocks your pores and probably isn't that healthy, but it does work and will reduce that vicious circle of self-conscious sweating which makes you stress and sweat even more!

And also, buy good quality cotton shirts as they tend to be more breathable and comfy than cheap nylon / blended shirts.

As a last resort - put a jacket on so no-one can see your wet armpits and different colour back!

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 6:41 pm

BillyB wrote:

You'll get used to the heat over time, but before that happens try perspirex - it blocks your pores and probably isn't that healthy, but it does work and will reduce that vicious circle of self-conscious sweating which makes you stress and sweat even more!

And also, buy good quality cotton shirts as they tend to be more breathable and comfy than cheap nylon / blended shirts.

As a last resort - put a jacket on so no-one can see your wet armpits and different colour back!
I spend so little time out in the heat that its gonna take a long time for me to get used to the heat and I been here 5 years. :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 6:45 pm

Barnsley wrote:
BillyB wrote:

I spend so little time out in the heat that its gonna take a long time for me to get used to the heat and I been here 5 years. :D
You'll be going blind, through self-love, first! :love:

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 6:52 pm

dont stay indoor and climax yourself, get out and climatise. :D :D :D

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 7:32 pm

Simple. Wear a t-shirt on your way into the office while carrying your business shirt in a bag. Change into your business shirt as soon as you arrive at work. Problem solved.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

iamsen
Regular
Regular

Post by iamsen » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 10:24 am

I use a lot of wet tissues. I personally recommend the Gatsby ones, especially those in the black packages. Don't use any of that Watson's crap.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 4:15 pm

iamsen wrote:I use a lot of wet tissues. I personally recommend the Gatsby ones, especially those in the black packages. Don't use any of that Watson's crap.
LOL that's so SGn!

[The Great] Gatsby* wet-wipes. Oh yes, makes perfect sense :lol: :roll:

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_great_gatsby
Now, who was talking about that new, poor quality, and expensive Japanese chocolate brand 'Royce'?...

Edroche
Regular
Regular

Post by Edroche » Tue, 09 Apr 2013 9:22 pm

What works for me is a vest - its the best way to prevent that or at least give you a buffer till you hit the office. The trade off is the extra warmth while outside.

Otherwise choose shirt colour/design that may hide it somewhat.

If you go the vest route than youll still need to check the type of shirt that will hide the vest. E.g. you will see a white vest through a white shirt.

Mustafa have a special solution for this - a v dodgy skin-ish coloured vest but it totally does he job. Crocodile brand. One of the uncles that follow you around the mens underware section can help.

juansanchez

Any brands of UnderShirts?

Post by juansanchez » Fri, 03 May 2013 2:11 pm

I went to Mustafa the other day and I couldn't find this brand. I bought hush Puppies but not the best to be honest!

I think I might slow down hahaah, good technique!

cavendish

Post by cavendish » Sat, 04 May 2013 8:12 pm

hey man, suggest you do wear dark-colored shirts. We (couple of friends and I) noticed that we tend to sweat more and faster when we carry a laptop bag so if it is inevitable then try to lighten your load while commuting. Also opt for the bus versus the MRT :D

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Hidy Ho » Sat, 04 May 2013 9:16 pm

I started wearing Uniqlo Airism v-neck undershirts and I think they are great. They aren't cheap though .. $16 SGD per each. If I sweat, the undershirt will capture most of the sweat so less shows on the outer shirt. These undershirts are very light/thin and seems to dry off fast.

Also, I ditched all my shirts from USA. I find that even my Nike Dri-Fit shirts from US are too heavy and thick for here. I started buying more "dri-fit" type of shirts here and in Bangkok which seems to be much thinner and lighter.

I just started liking Uniqlo products and ended up buying a bunch of their "dry" button down shirts. They are much thinner and seems to breathe better.

I wear US Large and now wear XL from Uniqlo so if you are bigger sized then the fit will be an issue.

In the past, I have done what others suggested and wore a walking shirt and then changed into work shirt at the office. Need a backpack and a hand towel to dry yourself off.