Singapore Expats

Student Pass rejected, assistance/advice requested

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
mrjorisa

Student Pass rejected, assistance/advice requested

Post by mrjorisa » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 7:16 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm a Singaporean living and working in SG. My girlfriend is from Thailand who graduated with a bachelors degree in business last year. We've been dating long distance with her staying in SG with me periodically over the past year (probably 4 or 5 times, 30 days at a time). She's been trying to get a job here but been unsuccessful so far.

I suggested that she try to improve her chances by taking up an english course here. We applied for a full-time 6 months course at a EduTrusted private education organization that conducts such courses for foreigners. Unfortunately her Student Pass was just rejected with reasons unknown to us.

I would like to ask what's the chances of an appeal being approved? I understand that she has to provide bank statements etc showing that she/her parents have approx 30-40k SGD savings in their bank acc (as we listed in the application) and also have her degree and birth cert translated to english. Should have no problems for both mentioned above. Thus what are her chances of an appeal being successful?(high/low) Her studying here has been a huge part of our plans and this has really thrown everything into disarray. Would appreciate any advise or help from more experiences individuals. Thanks in advance!

mrjorisa

Post by mrjorisa » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 7:28 pm

Just want to add that she has not studied in SG before. In case it's relevant, no other work experience aside from part time waitressing jobs during her schooling days. Her parents work in low skilled jobs in Thailand (chauffeur etc). I understand my financial info is irrelevant as I won't be recognized by ICA as a valid sponsor. Is the bank acc statement showing 30-40k savings going to be enough for a successful appeal?

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 8:36 pm

I guess they dont want foreigners to come here to do short term courses. May be something more meaty like a master's degree or something may get her the student pass?