Singapore Expats

Someone stirring the shlt pot?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
iamsen
Regular
Regular

Someone stirring the shlt pot?

Post by iamsen » Thu, 28 Mar 2013 11:21 pm

This guy's blog has been doing the rounds on my FB today. It's rather old, from 2011, it's the first I've seen of it. Curious that it's resurfacing.

http://www.singledudetravel.com/2011/08 ... -the-cons/

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 29 Mar 2013 1:42 am

A lot of what he says chimed with my youthful experiences in SG.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Fri, 29 Mar 2013 10:42 am

http://www.singledudetravel.com/2013/03 ... tardation/

A distillation of all the things (negative) that we have all encountered with Singaporeans.
Now I'm called PNGMK

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 29 Mar 2013 11:39 am

offshoreoildude wrote:http://www.singledudetravel.com/2013/03 ... tardation/

A distillation of all the things (negative) that we have all encountered with Singaporeans.
Holy crap. talk about 100% accurate. I'm book marking this so I can just pass it along next time someone asks me "Well what's wrong with Singapore?"

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 29 Mar 2013 4:38 pm

Websites that are closed outside office hours. That's hilarious.

Also, the notification from a bank website, an SMS, an e-mail AND snail mail to tell you that you have successfully logged in the first time.

And his mood as goes on...it's like Lewis Black about to have an aneurysm.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 29 Mar 2013 6:08 pm

nakatago wrote:Websites that are closed outside office hours. That's hilarious.
The first time I saw a website like that I almost started choking from laughter. I thought the site was hacked. I believe this was one of MOM's sites.

iamsen
Regular
Regular

Post by iamsen » Fri, 29 Mar 2013 6:18 pm

I've always had problems accessing acra and bizfile outside the usual office hours.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 29 Mar 2013 8:22 pm

iamsen wrote:I've always had problems accessing acra and bizfile outside the usual office hours.
One of the MOM sites actually stops letting you log in after business hours. They post them on the site. I remember because I tried to log in during a Saturday afternoon and the site "shut off" at 1pm.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 29 Mar 2013 9:15 pm

Lol :)

Some incisive reader comments too, like [Mister Grumpus]:

'And don’t even try with the ladies there. Their birth rate is so damned low that every decent gal in her twenties has THREE well-earning mofo’s in their thirties, chasing her around and making her offers. And thus the low birth rate, and thus, and thus, and thus.

This finally leads to the deepest point I can think to make:

If what I want is both life satisfaction and a good chance at marriage, it’s important that I AVOID places of extreme domestication and convenience. Where shit’s chaotic and a little dangerous, suddenly PRESTO, I as a man have something valuable to offer. In Perfect Safe Easy Comfortable Disneyville, a dick and a wallet is all I ‘got.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 30 Mar 2013 12:26 pm

We're famous OSOD. They're quoting posts here in the comments over there.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sat, 30 Mar 2013 12:42 pm

zzm9980 wrote:We're famous OSOD. They're quoting posts here in the comments over there.
Oh gawd. And here I was trying to reduce my "emotek" loading (emotional stress caused by technology - a word I invented today).
Now I'm called PNGMK

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 30 Mar 2013 5:05 pm

JR8 wrote:

Lol :)

Some incisive reader comments too, like [Mister Grumpus]:

'And don’t even try with the ladies there. Their birth rate is so damned low that every decent gal in her twenties has THREE well-earning mofo’s in their thirties, chasing her around and making her offers. And thus the low birth rate, and thus, and thus, and thus.

This finally leads to the deepest point I can think to make:

If what I want is both life satisfaction and a good chance at marriage, it’s important that I AVOID places of extreme domestication and convenience. Where shit’s chaotic and a little dangerous, suddenly PRESTO, I as a man have something valuable to offer. In Perfect Safe Easy Comfortable Disneyville, a dick and a wallet is all I ‘got.
You read the comments? They're like YouTube comments--utter garbage. Or comments on articles about Android/iPhone--somebody will eventually name call someone.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 30 Mar 2013 5:45 pm

offshoreoildude wrote: Oh gawd. And here I was trying to reduce my "emotek" loading (emotional stress caused by technology - a word I invented today).
Can I suggest a version 1.1?

'Emoteq'

Combines Emote, with EQ i.e. Emotional Quotient

:)

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sat, 30 Mar 2013 5:55 pm

JR8 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote: Oh gawd. And here I was trying to reduce my "emotek" loading (emotional stress caused by technology - a word I invented today).
Can I suggest a version 1.1?

'Emoteq'

Combines Emote, with EQ i.e. Emotional Quotient

:)
Whatever it is - the world needs a word for the need to step off the online world when it all overwhelms one. I was very ill a few weeks ago (thanks India and Chikungunya (or something similar) and what come out of the 'an extreme degree of prostration' (as Wiki calls it); was a resolve to cull the online emotional loading stuff out of my life. I went off FB for Lent and today (first after) Lent I went through FB and culled everyone that I don't have an actual F-F friendship or first degree familial relationship with. Over 200 culled.
Now I'm called PNGMK

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 30 Mar 2013 6:24 pm

offshoreoildude wrote: Whatever it is - the world needs a word for the need to step off the online world when it all overwhelms one. I was very ill a few weeks ago (thanks India and Chikungunya (or something similar) and what come out of the 'an extreme degree of prostration' (as Wiki calls it); was a resolve to cull the online emotional loading stuff out of my life. I went off FB for Lent and today (first after) Lent I went through FB and culled everyone that I don't have an actual F-F friendship or first degree familial relationship with. Over 200 culled.
Chikungunya aka CHIKV, nasty man! :o Sounds similar to Dengue in some ways (mosquito-borne, muscle/joint pain...)

I'm slowly recuperating from something equally as obscure, though tick-borne and I have numbness rather than pain, that I somehow picked up on a dive trip in a remote corner of the Peens...