Singapore Expats

Booking a taxi pickup from a taxi stand?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Northcote

Booking a taxi pickup from a taxi stand?

Post by Northcote » Thu, 28 Mar 2013 9:43 pm

(I ask this question more out of interest than actually planning to do it and p*ssing a lot of ppl off)

We're relatively new to Singapore but the large queues at taxi stands hasn't gone unnoticed (particularly at Ikea).

My question is, can you book your own cab to pick you up from the taxi stand (and skip the queue)? Given the length of some taxi stand queues and the easy of booking through phone apps, the $3 booking fee would be well worth it.

I'm very interest to know why this doesn't happen more, be it for etiquette, regulations or just plain tight a$$ reasons.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 28 Mar 2013 9:58 pm

It happens all the time. Very very common practice. I am surprised you have not noticed it. You will not p* o* anybody this way.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

It happens all the time

Post by The Ref » Thu, 28 Mar 2013 10:01 pm

At least at places I go.

Many taxi ranks are filled with people on their phones trying to book a cab. Some places it works, others you get to the front of the line quickly enough not to need it.
Out of the way places like MBFC and Turf City it is the only way to go.

Note: MBFC and ORQ in peak hour have a mass of cabs waiting around the corner for the extra booking fee rather than going to the actual rank.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 28 Mar 2013 10:03 pm

x9200 wrote:It happens all the time. Very very common practice. I am surprised you have not noticed it. You will not p* o* anybody this way.
The only people you will piss off are the tourists who don't know you can do this.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 28 Mar 2013 10:13 pm

It is common and some suppose to be practice to that extent that in many popular locations the cab companies placed labels/signs with short codes/location numbers to help speed dialing.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 29 Mar 2013 12:13 am

Why not. The taxi co will SMS you 'Cab arrived' + the registration plate #, and simultaneously a cab with it's 'Booked' light on will arrive.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 29 Mar 2013 8:10 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
x9200 wrote:It happens all the time. Very very common practice. I am surprised you have not noticed it. You will not p* o* anybody this way.
The only people you will piss off are the tourists who don't know you can do this.
And locals who will complain that it is so expensive to do that, and they don;'t make enough to afford such a thing since ang moh took their jobs.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 29 Mar 2013 11:11 am

THAT!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Fri, 29 Mar 2013 4:33 pm

In the words of David Letterman, The Shame Of The City...

That one actually has to call a cab from a cab stand.
That cabbies take breaks all at the same time and at peak hours.
That they game the system waiting for the peak hour charges.
The obvious tricks they use* to have the meter flip before they press the button.

- drive a little further than necessary
- the hesitation before pressing it (watch the various methods employed!)
- "forgetting" to press it

The Shame Of The City.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Sat, 30 Mar 2013 6:11 pm

Tip: Other than in far-flung places like Ikea -when you are downtown, Orchard, etc - and you see a big taxi queue - just walk around the corner, or to the nearest hotel. Usually you can flag one pretty easily. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a huge line up at Ion, Takashamiya etc - and I've just walked a block or too and flagged one easily. Why the locals stand in line for an hour rather than walking around and looking for a taxi is beyond me.

Not in the pouring rain tho'. They all run and hide then (the taxis I mean).