Singapore Expats

Need advice on LTVP+ and freelance work in Singapore

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
pauline2509

Need advice on LTVP+ and freelance work in Singapore

Post by pauline2509 » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 10:16 pm

Hello everyone,

Hope someone out there can give me some advice.

I'm a Singapore citizen (51 years old ) married to a Swiss guy ( 56 years old ) for about 8 years, currently living in Zurich, Switzerland. We plan to relocate to Singapore in July 2013.

I do not have a job and my husband plan to continue to work as a freelance translator in Singapore.

1. What are the chances of him getting a LTVP+ ? My husband have a Bachelor in Linguistics from University of London and earns around S$ 10,000 per month ( based on his last 6 months earning ) He used to be a partner in a translation company but he has since quit to be a freelance translator because we wanted to live in Singapore.

2. If he gets his LTVP + approved, can he set up a sole proprietorship so he can continue to work as a freelance translator? Most of his customers are Swiss companies based in Switzerland.

3. If he cannot set up a sole proprietorship using his LTVP+, can I as a Singapore Citizen set up a sole proprietorship and hire him as an employee ? I read on MOM that the employer can apply for a Letter of Consent for a LTVP+ holder.

So if anyone in this forum who is or has been in a similar position, and can share your experience, it will be greatly appreciated. Or any advice on how best to proceed to enable us to relocate to Singapore and for my husband to continue his work as a freelance translator.

Thanks very much
Pauline

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 10:19 pm

I remember reading about a similar thread somewhere on this board.. just look around a bit
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 10:21 pm

have you read up on the criteria for LTVP+ or are you just starting this thread because you genuinely do not understand the criteria?

your husband can apply for a work pass once he gets an LTVP. it will be held to a different standard (no quota, does not need to be from a recognized source country and no foreign worker levy!) and thus easier approvals (i think).

more details here: http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... lders.aspx

but as someone has mentioned on another thread - he MUST be on LTVP first.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 10:25 pm

http://www.ica.gov.sg/news_details.aspx?nid=12665

Q2: Who is eligible for the LTVP+? Do all foreign spouses of Singapore citizens qualify for LTVP+?

A2: Couples who have at least one child who is a Singapore Citizen from their marriage will be eligible to apply for the LTVP+.

For those without an SC child, we will look at other factors such as duration of marriage, and will in general consider more favourably those who have been married for at least three years.

Each application will be considered on its own merits.

Other factors that we consider include the ability of the sponsor to financially support the family, and good conduct of both the sponsor and the applicant.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 10:32 pm

To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

pauline2509

Re: Need advice on LTVP+ and freelance work in Singapore

Post by pauline2509 » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 11:04 pm

Thanks so much for your input and links.

I did read the other similar thread but my case is with LTVP+ and not a DP
I also read some other threads that in order to get a LTVP+ approved, the sponsor ( me ) has to show that I've been paying taxes for a few years, which I have not since I've been living in Zurich and paid my taxes in Switzerland.

I'm also not very sure if once he get his LTVP+ can he applied for a sole proprietorship himself so he can work as a freelance translator.

Thanks again

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 11:10 pm

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ntopic72150.html

the LTVP+ is a new thing (march 1 '13) so you'd probably check out business.gov.sg and maybe call up other relevant bodies to see if they have updates/answers for you.

if you get definitive answers, i'd encourage you to post them here.

i'd be inclined to THINK that you can register a sole proprietorship with an LTVP+ (LOC?) since the purpose of the + is to allow the holder to work and enjoy other benefits.