Singapore Expats

Shop Size

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Shop Size

Post by Travailes » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 8:17 am

You have to admire the balls of the authorities here. Now legislating on the size of shops. Customers aren't bothered as prices tend to be cheaper as rents are lower. New retailers / entrepreneurs can afford to set up. Smaller shops tend to be more individual and break the 'globalisation' of the street scene. I smell something rotten here !
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Shop Size

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 8:55 am

Travailes wrote:You have to admire the balls of the authorities here. Now legislating on the size of shops. Customers aren't bothered as prices tend to be cheaper as rents are lower. New retailers / entrepreneurs can afford to set up. Smaller shops tend to be more individual and break the 'globalisation' of the street scene. I smell something rotten here !
Some kind of background or link on this? I'm not really sure what you're discussing here.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 9:32 am

zzm9980 wrote:
Travailes wrote:You have to admire the balls of the authorities here. Now legislating on the size of shops. Customers aren't bothered as prices tend to be cheaper as rents are lower. New retailers / entrepreneurs can afford to set up. Smaller shops tend to be more individual and break the 'globalisation' of the street scene. I smell something rotten here !
Some kind of background or link on this? I'm not really sure what you're discussing here.
http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/ne ... ebox-shops
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 9:36 am

Couple of other interesting stories/analysis' in the Today paper today as well:

http://www.todayonline.com/commentary/m ... -all-boats

http://www.todayonline.com/commentary/i ... lost-cause
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 9:45 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/ne ... ebox-shops
Ok, that does help, and puts OP's rant into context.

I do appreciate the minimum width for walkways requirements. While I agree with the government that an entire mall of shoebox stores is probably not sustainable, and will turn into a retail ghetto or ghost-town, I don't think they should legislate it like this. Just my opinion.