Singapore Expats

PR - Endlessly Pending

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 9:13 am

zzm9980 wrote:
lolipop99 wrote:Interesting, seems like there is a backslash against Fillpino migrants all over the world, now it is Hong Kong:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-2 ... elper.html
That's not really a backlash, that's just maid losing a case she had no chance of ever winning.
There are Filipino maids everywhere in all walks of life. There was one Filipino White House chef even reported a few years back.

They are just waiting for the word.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 9:46 am

nice. :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 11:03 am

nakatago wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
lolipop99 wrote:Interesting, seems like there is a backslash against Fillpino migrants all over the world, now it is Hong Kong:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-2 ... elper.html
That's not really a backlash, that's just maid losing a case she had no chance of ever winning.
There are Filipino maids everywhere in all walks of life. There was one Filipino White House chef even reported a few years back.

I was thinking something like this:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/starbu ... ation,416/

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 5:07 pm

nakatago wrote: There are Filipino maids everywhere in all walks of life. There was one Filipino White House chef even reported a few years back.

And recently when the Malaysian PM went to Phil for peace talks with the MILF, his filipino maids accompanied him .. and as comical it may be, the VIP's maids were refused permission to follow their boss :D :D until some VIP intervened

Westfield

Re: PR - Endlessly Pending

Post by Westfield » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 3:54 pm

Westfield wrote:We applied for PR in 2012, approaching 12 months ago now.

I am European, educated in Europe to Masters level, work for the government.

My wife, Filipino, educated to Degree level, works for a major MNC here in Singapore at a VP level.

Married for nearly 8 years, we have been in Singapore over 5 years now, have 2 children born here (1 boy 1 girl) and earn over $16k a month before bonuses. We have bought a condo that's due to TOP next year ($1m+).

And yet our PR application is pending. For almost a year. No call for more information or more papers. Anyone got any ideas why? And what should we do next?

Thanks!
And today my status has become: "REJECTED".

Not received letter to see which rejected level we have. I am seriously not happy about this.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 4:15 pm

Westfield wrote:

My wife, Filipino, educated to Degree level, works for a major MNC here in Singapore at a VP level.

Married for nearly 8 years, we have been in Singapore over 5 years now, have 2 children born here (1 boy 1 girl) and earn over $16k a month before bonuses. We have bought a condo that's due to TOP next year ($1m+).

And yet our PR application is pending. For almost a year. No call for more information or more papers. Anyone got any ideas why? And what should we do next?

Thanks!

Not received letter to see which rejected level we have. I am seriously not happy about this.
Don't want to state the obvious, but you did include your kids on the PR application?

Westfield

Post by Westfield » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 4:17 pm

Saint wrote:
Westfield wrote:

Thanks!

Don't want to state the obvious, but you did include your kids on the PR application?
Yes, we were all on the application.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 5:02 pm

Maybe the Gahmen have a particular problem with you, I know a chap who worked on a particular IT contract that he said he thought it unlikely that he would ever get a PR if he continued on there as they had a terrible relationship with the customer.
nutnut

Westfield

Post by Westfield » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 6:09 pm

nutnut wrote:Maybe the Gahmen have a particular problem with you, I know a chap who worked on a particular IT contract that he said he thought it unlikely that he would ever get a PR if he continued on there as they had a terrible relationship with the customer.
That would be amusing if true, as I work for the government :o :lol:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 6:20 pm

My take?

Most westerners here in the Financial Industries (including MAS - you did say gov't yeah?) are perceived by the Government to be short-termers as they usually go to the highest bidder and don't settle down anywhere if they are expatriate, with some notable exceptions of course (and they usually make the news when it does happen). Therefore, it's a good possibility that they see you as not here "permanently". The difference would have been if your wife been local. Then they see it differently as you would have qualified for both the PTS scheme as well as the Family Ties scheme. If you are working for the government, I believe the rejection should be taken as the writing on the wall, as it were.

Saint, I believe, like myself, was granted PR due to family ties.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Westfield

Post by Westfield » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 7:13 pm

Well, my wife works in finance, but she has worked for the company for about 7 years, 5 of them in Singapore where she was transferred in to open the then new department. I work for the government, but not financial and have worked in the same job since I arrived in SG, 5+ years ago. I'm not sure how much more we can do to prove "stability".

Arrived home now, no letter. So until that arrives, I don't know what to think. Bah.

enslaved

Post by enslaved » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 7:30 pm

From looking at the amount of time ICA had taken, they might have carried out a tedious back-ground check in England and Philippines.

Westfield

Post by Westfield » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 7:50 pm

enslaved wrote:From looking at the amount of time ICA had taken, they might have carried out a tedious back-ground check in England and Philippines.
And if they did, they would have found out our lives were just as boring as we had claimed :D

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 7:57 pm

A rather crude thought occurred to me on the way home about your case. As you are working for the government, and they are in the process of trying to save their very arses, it's a possibility your application is being held up because of the political climate regarding foreigners here. How would it been seen by the opposition here if they would find out that the government is not only still granting PR to foreigners here, but doing it for government employees as well. I see a lot of political capital that could be made of it by the opposition parties.

Just a thought due to the current political landscape...... :-k

Westfield

Post by Westfield » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 5:54 pm

The rejection letter has arrived. Its the worst rejection - no invitation to re-apply, just "you are free to remain on your existing passes".

I am totally at a loss for words. I fail to see what else I could do to get PR and then we get totally rejected. I guess I can try to appeal, because I really have no clue why this has been rejected.

So now I have to uproot my family just to move somewhere that can guarantee me some stability? My kids have lived here all their lives, born here, go to school here, friends here.