Singapore Expats

"What is your current salary?" - thinking about this questio

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 25 Mar 2013 8:17 am

Brah wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
Sergei82 wrote: What should be the first action in the situation above?
You've already covered this because you told them you're previous(or current) employer made you sign an NDA in regards to your compensation
That's a great idea, but would anyone go for that, and do any companies do this? I can't see why they would. Plus if the new company wanted to ask the old company the old company could say there is no NDA. But it if works, I like your thinking.

And you're right - workers have no rights here.
I'm not technically allowed to take post photos of the food in the cafe on Instagram. That's a specific example of something they say violates your NDA and not to do. So yes, some employers do that.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 25 Mar 2013 8:19 am

JR8 wrote: Example: 'He was an intelligent man, but his use of Latin was a little haphazard per se'.
ImageImageImageImage

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 25 Mar 2013 8:28 am

I used to resist this but I don't anymore. I'm in the top 5% percentile for my work group and basically most recruiters say "Oh, so much. Sorry to waste your time and hang up" - it saves a LOT of to and fro which would fail on the shitty budget the employer has set.
Now I'm called PNGMK

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 25 Mar 2013 8:54 am

offshoreoildude wrote:I used to resist this but I don't anymore. I'm in the top 5% percentile for my work group and basically most recruiters say "Oh, so much. Sorry to waste your time and hang up" - it saves a LOT of to and fro which would fail on the shitty budget the employer has set.

welcome back! I missed your posts. Can't speak for anyone else :P

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Mar 2013 8:59 am

I more or less welcomed him back last night when I responded to his PM. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 25 Mar 2013 9:52 am

Wd40 wrote:In fact many people get offers from other companies and then show that to their current bosses to bargain for a hike, how about that ? :P
Where? In our bank? Where budget is decided once a year? Especially for contractors...
I knew a few people who tried to bargain. One (with a very high performance rating) had his salary stale for 3 years. When he talked to the management they said they are sorry, if he wants, he can leave, but since he is such a nice guy, they really want him to want to stay (if you can build sentence like that). :)

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 25 Mar 2013 9:57 am

zzm9980 wrote:I'm not technically allowed to take post photos of the food in the cafe on Instagram. That's a specific example of something they say violates your NDA and not to do. So yes, some employers do that.
Post photos of food - what is that? Photos of what is already in a toilet bowl? :o

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 25 Mar 2013 10:09 am

Sergei82 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:I'm not technically allowed to take post photos of the food in the cafe on Instagram. That's a specific example of something they say violates your NDA and not to do. So yes, some employers do that.
Post photos of food - what is that? Photos of what is already in a toilet bowl? :o
I forgot an 'or' :)

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 25 Mar 2013 2:34 pm

Sergei82 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:In fact many people get offers from other companies and then show that to their current bosses to bargain for a hike, how about that ? :P
Where? In our bank? Where budget is decided once a year? Especially for contractors...
I knew a few people who tried to bargain. One (with a very high performance rating) had his salary stale for 3 years. When he talked to the management they said they are sorry, if he wants, he can leave, but since he is such a nice guy, they really want him to want to stay (if you can build sentence like that). :)
Not talking about our bank. Our bank is basically "game over liao" as far as IT careers are concerned. The last 3 months I havent seen any new IT positions created in the internal mobility site for perms or contractors, that says a lot. Almost every team here has a parallel team set up in either Bangalore(outsourced), Pune or Poland. So basically its just a slow wind down happening now.

But even couple of years back it was possible to bargain and get a hike, in case of contractor sometimes the vendor would give out of their own pockets if it was a matter 500$ or so.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 25 Mar 2013 5:56 pm

zzm9980 wrote: welcome back! I missed your posts. Can't speak for anyone else :P
Quite agree,

Welcome back OldSod

:wink:

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 25 Mar 2013 6:06 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Sergei82 wrote:
Not talking about our bank. Our bank is basically "game over liao" as far as IT careers are concerned. The last 3 months I havent seen any new IT positions created in the internal mobility site for perms or contractors, that says a lot. Almost every team here has a parallel team set up in either Bangalore(outsourced), Pune or Poland. So basically its just a slow wind down happening now.

But even couple of years back it was possible to bargain and get a hike, in case of contractor sometimes the vendor would give out of their own pockets if it was a matter 500$ or so.
Someone works for Barclays!

Welcome back OSOD

I would tell them to ram it if they asked for my payslips, unless they can give a good reason for asking for them. To benchmark an offer is not a good reason, so the answer will be no. I haven't missed a job yet due to this.

In regards to English, I hate the use of bring! "Bring these home" Huh? You ask people to bring things to the place you are, and you take things to the place you are going, so are you at my home?
nutnut

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 25 Mar 2013 6:23 pm

nutnut wrote: In regards to English, I hate the use of bring! "Bring these home" Huh? You ask people to bring things to the place you are, and you take things to the place you are going, so are you at my home?

:lol: +1

p.s. Welcome back Nut2 :wink:

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Mon, 25 Mar 2013 9:09 pm

nutnut wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Not talking about our bank. Our bank is basically "game over liao" as far as IT careers are concerned. The last 3 months I havent seen any new IT positions created in the internal mobility site for perms or contractors, that says a lot. Almost every team here has a parallel team set up in either Bangalore(outsourced), Pune or Poland. So basically its just a slow wind down happening now.

There, or SCB. And all over there are less perm roles it seems.
nutnut wrote:In regards to English, I hate the use of bring! "Bring these home" Huh? You ask people to bring things to the place you are, and you take things to the place you are going, so are you at my home?
Along with that are:
- "stay", as in "where do you stay?", my answer is usually something like, "I stay in hotels - I don't stay here, I live here"

- "take", as in, "did you take lunch?" ", my answer is usually something like, "I didn't take it anywhere, I ate it in the restaurant"

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 25 Mar 2013 9:32 pm

Neither Barclays nor SCB.
Sergei and I work for the same bank and he can vouch for it ;)

And Barclays is not yet game over, my manager got offered AVP role there and he is joining next month.
Last edited by Wd40 on Mon, 25 Mar 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Mon, 25 Mar 2013 9:37 pm

nutnut wrote:
Wd40 wrote:
Sergei82 wrote: Where? In our bank? Where budget is decided once a year? Especially for contractors...

Welcome back OSOD

I would tell them to ram it if they asked for my payslips, unless they can give a good reason for asking for them. To benchmark an offer is not a good reason, so the answer will be no. I haven't missed a job yet due to this.

In regards to English, I hate the use of bring! "Bring these home" Huh? You ask people to bring things to the place you are, and you take things to the place you are going, so are you at my home?
I'd wager on CS.........