Singapore Expats

PR application frustration - pending for 7 + months

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ash2.3k

PR application frustration - pending for 7 + months

Post by ash2.3k » Sat, 23 Mar 2013 2:00 pm

My PR application has been pending for 7 months

About me

Race : Indian
Profession: IT Sales in one of top American MNC
P1 EP have been staying in Singapore for close to 6+ years, (earlier 4 years on P2)
Education : Masters for one of reputed Indian Colleges + many professional certifications.

Spouse:

Race :Indian
Profession : IT Sales \ Consulting in reputed MNC
P2 EP Staying in Singapore for 2.5 years , Masters from NUS

Married for 2.5 years

Combined salary is aprox 190-200k pa , 6 IT returns filed for self , 2 IT returns filed for spouse

the wait can be killing at times .. except for race other factors seem to be in my favor
Last edited by ash2.3k on Tue, 02 Apr 2013 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~~~~~~~~
ash2.3k

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 23 Mar 2013 2:05 pm

In the PR application form for race did you write "North Indian" ? May be thats the reason :P

ash2.3k

Post by ash2.3k » Sat, 23 Mar 2013 2:07 pm

didn't .. just put a tick box next to Indian
~~~~~~~~~~~
ash2.3k

tidus12000

Post by tidus12000 » Sat, 23 Mar 2013 2:36 pm

Just wonder in the eyes of ICA, is there any difference between north indian and south indian?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 23 Mar 2013 2:58 pm

tidus12000 wrote:Just wonder in the eyes of ICA, is there any difference between north indian and south indian?
From what I understand, only in the eyes of North or South Indians :) But the need by them to differentiate from other Indians speaks volumes to the integration issues Singaporean Indians talk about.

ash2.3k

Post by ash2.3k » Sat, 23 Mar 2013 3:54 pm

its the same need that requires .. PRC Chinese and Malaysian Chinese.. to be identified differently,

I am not saying one is better than another or looking down on anyone .. but there is a difference in culture ..difference in ways of life ..difference in religious .. social.. political and economic demographics.

Being identified differently doesn't mean you can't co exist next to each other peacefully in harmony with each other
~~~~~~~~~~~
ash2.3k

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 23 Mar 2013 4:51 pm

ash2.3k wrote:its the same need that requires .. PRC Chinese and Malaysian Chinese.. to be identified differently,

I am not saying one is better than another or looking down on anyone .. but there is a difference in culture ..difference in ways of life ..difference in religious .. social.. political and economic demographics.

Being identified differently doesn't mean you can't co exist next to each other peacefully in harmony with each other
Right, that's basically what I said. The difference between Malaysian and PRC Chinese is really only important in the eyes of those local Chinese making the decisions and the perceived difference. To anyone else in this world outside this little red dot, no difference. Same with North vs. South Indians. No one else cares.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 23 Mar 2013 5:45 pm

Exactly. And the government wants integration. If incoming Indians do not want to integrate (or PRCs) they Singapore doesn't want them. e.g., you play by Singapore's rules, not the rules of Indian or China. Simple really, when in Rome, play as the Romans do, as the old saying goes...... :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ash2.3k

Post by ash2.3k » Sat, 23 Mar 2013 7:56 pm

Has it kind of become a norm for non Malaysian Chinese to have to wait for 7-8 months before PR gets approved? And be satisfied in fact that no news is a good news :D

Most of the rejections I saw came in 6-8 weeks of applying
~~~~~~~~~~~
ash2.3k

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 23 Mar 2013 8:52 pm

The new norm is that there is NO Norm. You buys your ticket and you takes your chances. That's all you can do any more. Singapore is no longer an easy mark like it's been for the last two decades or so. It's probably about time looking at the quality of the majority of applicants now days.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 23 Mar 2013 9:53 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
ash2.3k wrote:its the same need that requires .. PRC Chinese and Malaysian Chinese.. to be identified differently,

Right, that's basically what I said. The difference between Malaysian and PRC Chinese is really only important in the eyes of those local Chinese making the decisions and the perceived difference. To anyone else in this world outside this little red dot, no difference. Same with North vs. South Indians. No one else cares.
Fully agree. When you come out of India you represent India and not North India or any particular state of India. So when the OP mentioned his race as North Indian, it kind of pissed me off. Even the PR application form doesnt have any place to mention what your exact ancestry in India is, so bringing that up here was totally unnecessary

Just like when I was looking for a house couple of years ago, an agent asked me if I was from North India or South India, as if he knows the complete demographics of India, I wanted to tell him I am from West Indies :lol:

lolipop99
Regular
Regular

Post by lolipop99 » Sun, 24 Mar 2013 4:18 pm

Why are North Indians better than South Indians? I am puzzled! Are cultural differences, accents or even skin colors used to determine who are superior? It doesn't make sense to say Hindi is better than Tamil or vice versa.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 24 Mar 2013 5:43 pm

The same reason the Chinese use it to distinguish between the Han chinese and the southern chinese. The Thais do this as well to distinguish between the northern & southern Thais. As do the Burmese between the Shan and the southern Burmese. Racism has many subcategories even among the same races.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 24 Mar 2013 7:11 pm

Enlightening article(for a change!) in TREmeritus about the Indian diversity in Singapore:

http://www.tremeritus.com/2013/03/24/pa ... tarianism/

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Mon, 25 Mar 2013 11:21 pm

lolipop99 wrote:Why are North Indians better than South Indians? I am puzzled! Are cultural differences, accents or even skin colors used to determine who are superior? It doesn't make sense to say Hindi is better than Tamil or vice versa.
I was born in India, and today is the first time I am seeing, North/South India in this way.

I don't think North Indians are any better than South Indians. Infact, given the way North Indian cities and states are becoming crime hubs (Delhi, UP, Bihar etc) I may want to think otherwise.

I was born in North India (Delhi) and lived in many places in India, Including Bangalore. If I was ever to go back to India, I will hate to live in North India, my preferred destination will be Bangalore.