Singapore Expats

What to do in Mersing at night

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
vink2
Regular
Regular

What to do in Mersing at night

Post by vink2 » Wed, 20 Mar 2013 3:45 pm

My bus arriving at 2am to Mersing and I will have a ferry to Tioman at 6.30am.
I don't want to check-in to hotel just for 3-4 hrs. Does Mersing has night clubs, night restaurants, foodcourts? What can I do there at late night/early morning?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 20 Mar 2013 6:46 pm

Can I suggest you e-mail these people:

http://www.tioman-dive-centre.com/

and ask them?

They have customers , almost daily through the season, who come over through Mersing (overnighting there), so should be able to give you some advice.

Keep in mind though that the ferries can be rescheduled each day (at times a little random), especially around the start/end of the monsoon. The crossing can also be quite rough at times. So I'd suggest not going out full-on clubbing before turning up at '6.25' for your ferry.

p.s. I've done the journey via ferry and overnighting in Mersing just once. The other c6-8 times I have flown direct. It costs a bit more. But it's SO much less hassle, stress, time, and uncertainty.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 20 Mar 2013 9:07 pm

What kind of plane, is it a white-knuckle ride?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 20 Mar 2013 11:18 pm

Brah wrote:What kind of plane, is it a white-knuckle ride?
The planes are Dash-7s, STOL* which forewarns one a little that TOD is not an everyday airport. But they are not tiny things, they take about 120 passengers I think. So unless you skirt a tropical storm the journey is completely stable. The take-off/landing is pretty different and cool. Even if you're a little of a nervous flyer, try it once. Even if you are it is so much better than overland via Mersing*.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6f5bjLSzSg
Tioman Airport - Landing

(You'll see other representative vids linked down the right).

* Short Take Off and Landing.

** If you get a ferry on a rough day... well they're only small things, and the journey is going to be a puke-fest for many fellow passengers, if not yourself. And there is no outside space... you're in one big indoor open-plan cabin sitting on rows of hard plastic chairs.. Been there, done it, but only once.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: What to do in Mersing at night

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 21 Mar 2013 3:50 am

vink2 wrote:My bus arriving at 2am to Mersing and I will have a ferry to Tioman at 6.30am.
I don't want to check-in to hotel just for 3-4 hrs. Does Mersing has night clubs, night restaurants, foodcourts? What can I do there at late night/early morning?
You will find nothing in Mersing that is open late. A few of the Chinese restaurants in the city center server beer, as does the cafe at the ferry dock, but otherwise, as a Muslim town night clubs and late nights are pretty non existent.

vink2
Regular
Regular

Post by vink2 » Thu, 21 Mar 2013 8:17 am

Thanks, guys.
Strong Eagle wrote: You will find nothing in Mersing that is open late. A few of the Chinese restaurants in the city center server beer, as does the cafe at the ferry dock, but otherwise, as a Muslim town night clubs and late nights are pretty non existent.
Strong Eagle, may you let me know where those restaurants are located. Thanks.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 21 Mar 2013 10:06 am

vink2 wrote:Thanks, guys.
Strong Eagle wrote: You will find nothing in Mersing that is open late. A few of the Chinese restaurants in the city center server beer, as does the cafe at the ferry dock, but otherwise, as a Muslim town night clubs and late nights are pretty non existent.
Strong Eagle, may you let me know where those restaurants are located. Thanks.
They are all around the traffic circle off 3 - see the map below. None will be open at the time you are coming in. I'd choose a different time, for sure.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=restaura ... 16512&z=17

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 21 Mar 2013 5:57 pm

If you've set your heart on a night in Mersing check out www.tripadvisor.com

p.s. I've known groups who've driven from SG to Mersing. Overnighted in Mersing. Ferries next day were cancelled. Arrived the next day in Tioman. Then the day after they headed back home over land/sea.

One evening + 2 days in transit, for a single day on the island.