Singapore Expats

Company not supporting PR application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
nusgrad

Company not supporting PR application

Post by nusgrad » Wed, 20 Mar 2013 1:16 pm

I've been in Singapore for 5 years (4 yrs in NUS and 1 year working) and am on Q1 employment pass for 9 months. I've been reading this forum and it's recommended that Q1 holder should apply after 2-3 years of working; however IMO I guess it's better to apply now (I already hold EP for >6 months) than 3 years later when the next GE comes.

I check with my company (an R&D startup in nano-materials) and they told me the company does not support PR application until 2 yrs of employment (and said this is general practice now?!?!). Is that true? Anyone in the same situation?

Since the company is not supporting, I plan to apply without employment's sponsorship (it's not required as stated in the form). What are the chances with my particulars below?

EP Q1 (9 months)
NUS Bachelor (honors)
R&D officer
Vietnamese

My malaysian senior who graduated from the same major got his PR application approved after 5 months of submission. So, I guess no harm trying.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 20 Mar 2013 1:29 pm

He is Malaysian (I Assume Chinese) and you're Vietnamese, so he had the most important factor going for him.

If you're on Q1, IMO your salary is too low for you to have any chance of approval at all. I'd only give you a 50% chance if you get upgraded to P2 *and* wait the three tax assessments.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 20 Mar 2013 2:50 pm

Frankly, I concur. If you are currently on a Q1, you will probably be on an S pass at the next renewal, assuming you can actually get a renewal. I'm afraid ICA doesn't care about your opinions. but if you file before having three tax assessments, unless you are M'sian Chinese, you are telling them that you are desperate. Singapore doesn't want desperate people.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 20 Mar 2013 6:09 pm

You can apply on your own without your company's Annex A but you still need to follow the standards as mentioned by the previous posters.

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Company not supporting PR application

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 20 Mar 2013 7:52 pm

nusgrad wrote:I check with my company (an R&D startup in nano-materials) and they told me the company does not support PR application until 2 yrs of employment (and said this is general practice now?!?!). Is that true? Anyone in the same situation?

Since the company is not supporting, I plan to apply without employment's sponsorship (it's not required as stated in the form).
Hey young'un (lynx), the end of the day must have been pretty rough today, yeah? :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tidus12000

Post by tidus12000 » Wed, 20 Mar 2013 8:18 pm

I think Annex A is a must unless your company willing to write a letter stating your particulars.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 20 Mar 2013 8:57 pm

No, it's not.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Company not supporting PR application

Post by the lynx » Thu, 21 Mar 2013 12:17 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
nusgrad wrote:I check with my company (an R&D startup in nano-materials) and they told me the company does not support PR application until 2 yrs of employment (and said this is general practice now?!?!). Is that true? Anyone in the same situation?

Since the company is not supporting, I plan to apply without employment's sponsorship (it's not required as stated in the form).
Hey young'un (lynx), the end of the day must have been pretty rough today, yeah? :lol:
Yeah, the weather in Yangon is getting into my head! :P

nusgrad

Post by nusgrad » Thu, 21 Mar 2013 10:43 am

Thanks for the input. But I guess that, similar to the last GE, I can see less hope for PR application in the next 3-4 years.

Well, I seem to have to wait after 3 tax assessments.

@SMS: you have any idea why I will prolly be on SPass after the next renewal? Any adjustment to the min salary for Q1 EP to be foreseen?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Mar 2013 12:19 pm

nusgrad wrote: @SMS: you have any idea why I will prolly be on SPass after the next renewal? Any adjustment to the min salary for Q1 EP to be foreseen?
Yep, probably a big jump just to move a lot out into no man's land (S Passes) where they keep cutting the quotas. It's not looking pretty. Additionally, with each year, if you don't show sizeable increases in salary on the renewal, it's a good likelihood that you won't be renewed either as your salary should rise with experience. They are now using academic AND experience as a criteria. If your salary doesn't rise, bad news.