Singapore Expats

Pet scam... from Africa :)

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Pet scam... from Africa :)

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 20 Mar 2013 9:44 am

Recently decided to get a cat. Went online to find if anybody is selling a cat in Singapore currently. Found an ad in OLX with a cute kitten picture, contacted the person... appeared to be a scammer from Cameroon asking to transfer money somewhere and pretending that he is about to have a brain surgery.

So what a hell... Went to another website, found another cat... Is it so simple? Another (or same) guy from Cameroon under different name! What's going on?

So what now - buying cats online in Singapore is impossible? African scammers have everything in their hands?

Can anyone suggest me a good pet store/breeder?

I'd better let go SGD 1-2K for a good cat, but it should be here, in Singapore, I should see it alive before I buy it!

P.S.: Do not tell me to go catch one outside - I had this experience when I was living in Korea. If it is a stray cat, it may take a lot of efforts to cure him from all disesases he already has + there is no guarantee he survives anyway.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 20 Mar 2013 10:20 am

And I was hovering over the reply button ready with a "Come by my HDB after work one night..." until I saw your last line :)

I do know a few people that have had very good experiences with strays. One friend just took a pair home to Europe that she had in Singapore for 5+ years.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Wed, 20 Mar 2013 12:24 pm

how bout adopting from SPCA?
We picked our 2 cats off the street so far they are well behaved and healthy.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 20 Mar 2013 1:10 pm

My little calico was a stray who adopted me when I lived in Seletar Camp. She stayed with me for 10 years until somebody stole her from beneath my HDB flat because she was so friendly with everybody. In fact, I was not a cat person at all and had a big black Shepard/Collie cross at the time who also adopted the cat as well.

Cats who are at the SPCA make good pets as they are usually grateful if given a good home. Rehoming dogs is close to my heart as well as rehabilitating animals that are "damaged" and finding fosters or new homes. (It's what my sister does in Florida with her nonprofit organization.) But if you are after a certain breed, well, then it gets difficult. If you are open to any breed, go to a shelter and before adopting, have her examined by a vet. It's a lot cheaper than spending a lot of money on a cat that's probably from a "Kitten Mill" and might be psychologically deranged.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 20 Mar 2013 1:33 pm

Was in Dreamy Paws just now - a lot of good and friendly cats.
Even though the price is a little bit high (on average SGD 3000 for an imported cat), what really stops me is the age of the youngest kitten there is 6 months at the moment. I want somebody who is not older (at least not much older) than 3 months.

Maybe, local breeders can help.

I'm thinking about Singapura breed as an option. But according to rumors it is considered to be a kind of a national treasure and is forbidden to take out of Singapore. Is that true?

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 20 Mar 2013 2:47 pm

Took a look at SPCA site - some kittens are cute there of course... but it would be the last resort for me. I had a bad experience adopting a stray cat before - health issues add significant risk to the whole venture. Moreover, once you got the cat, it is yours for years, so it is a matter of ego as well - I'm willing to give away more money for a pure breed cat in the same way as many people are buying expensive cars and jewellery (if this analogy is appropriate). :)

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Wed, 20 Mar 2013 3:47 pm

why don't you ask them http://www.singaporecatclub.com/home.html or other associations for referrals of breeders.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 20 Mar 2013 3:54 pm

morenangpinay wrote:why don't you ask them http://www.singaporecatclub.com/home.html or other associations for referrals of breeders.
I already e-mailed to a few breeders from their list today. No reply yet.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 20 Mar 2013 9:08 pm

i am surprised you not tried orchard towers yet! :D :D :D

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 20 Mar 2013 10:46 pm

I didn't get the joke… :(

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Mar 2013 12:09 am

If Orchard Towers doesn't do it, try Geylang. Most any breed you want can be found in the different lorongs there. :lol: :mrgreen:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 21 Mar 2013 6:54 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If Orchard Towers doesn't do it, try Geylang. Most any breed you want can be found in the different lorongs there. :lol: :mrgreen:
Both male and female, and plenty already spayed or neutered!

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 21 Mar 2013 10:56 am

Singapuras breeder replied to me. He left Singapore already. There are no more singapura breeders in Singapore. He advised me to import one from UK.

Does anybody have experience importing a cat from class A country (no quarantine required)? Does it take months? Or it can be done in a few weeks?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Mar 2013 12:25 pm

Probably depends on whether they have kittens currently or if they have to get ole Tom to do what he likes to do best - make babies.

Go to the Agri link I gave you and have a good read. I believe it tells you all you will need to accomplish and when.
;-)