Singapore Expats

Suspicious "suicide" of American in SG

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Sloc

Post by Sloc » Sun, 17 Mar 2013 11:17 pm

Update.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... lenews_wsj
Singapore's foreign ministry said Sunday it was "deeply disappointed" by the actions of the senators, who are seeking to block U.S. funding to Singapore's state-run Institute of Microelectronics until the FBI gets full access to Singapore police findings on the death of Shane Todd, who had worked at the research agency before he was found dead in June.
It couldn't have happened to a more deserving institute :D . I hope that the rest of the A* institutes are also blacklisted. Bunch of aholes, (EDIT:) many of them (Yes, unfortunately, I've had the displeasure of dealing with some of the third rate clowns in A* who profess to be scientists).
Last edited by Sloc on Mon, 18 Mar 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 17 Mar 2013 11:29 pm

THAT ought to piss off one of the moderators. [-X
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Sloc

Post by Sloc » Sun, 17 Mar 2013 11:32 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:THAT ought to piss off one of the moderators. [-X
What did I do wrong?
:???: :oops:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 12:05 am

I'm not sure but I think one of them is a scientist at A*. :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Sloc

Post by Sloc » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 12:58 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'm not sure but I think one of them is a scientist at A*. :lol:
:shock:
Like the shameless coward that I am :oops: , I have gone back and edited my post to change 'the whole lot' to 'many'. The latter leaves enough room for a few decent people to exist in A*. :P
Phew..that was a close call. :oops:

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 8:43 am

Sloc wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'm not sure but I think one of them is a scientist at A*. :lol:
:shock:
Like the shameless coward that I am :oops: , I have gone back and edited my post to change 'the whole lot' to 'many'. The latter leaves enough room for a few decent people to exist in A*. :P
Phew..that was a close call. :oops:
Don't worry about it! haha. SMS was just kidding around :)

I just came here to post the same article. I knew the Senate would start pulling this stuff. Good for them. They have enough money to throw around to make Singapore feel the sting. If an American employee of a specific foreign institution died under questionable circumstances possibly related to working for that institution, i fully expect the US Gov to hold every last penny until every single question is answered.

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sensei_ » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 10:30 am

zzm9980 wrote: I just came here to post the same article. I knew the Senate would start pulling this stuff. Good for them. They have enough money to throw around to make Singapore feel the sting.
the greenback isnt worth the paper its printed on, so loss of US funding is no big deal. there are always more investors willing to pony up the money.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 11:29 am

sensei_ wrote: the greenback isnt worth the paper its printed on, so loss of US funding is no big deal. there are always more investors willing to pony up the money.
LSL seems to want more than just money from the US:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ ... print.html

And:
The United States is losing market share in ASEAN [the Association of Southeast Asian Nations] to China and other countries.

For many countries, the biggest partner is China. . . . But in terms of an economic partner, the U.S. is very important —

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 12:32 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli ... s/1988215/

This could turn into something very embarrassing for Singers. I almost feel sorry for them these days - no matter what they do something somewhere is going off the rails on them. It seems less and less likely this just a grieving family looking for answers.

Sloc

Post by Sloc » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 1:11 pm

sensei_ wrote:
the greenback isnt worth the paper its printed on, so loss of US funding is no big deal. there are always more investors willing to pony up the money.
It's not the monetary aspect, but the loss of face that will hurt.
$500k annual funding is mere peanuts in the grand scheme of things, it would probably just make up a mid-size grant for a single PI. The $$ loss wont even be felt, but loss of reputation definitely will..

Face is EVERYTHING in A*. Actual research comes a distant second :wink:
Now, perception wise, IME is on par with some shady research institute in a rogue 'axis of evil'ish nation, at least in the eyes of the international public. Oh noes... :D

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 6:34 pm

'We can’t be the nanny.'

Thanks for that LOL :lol:

Brah
Manager
Manager

Re: Suspicious "suicide" of American in SG

Post by Brah » Tue, 19 Mar 2013 9:56 pm

zzm9980 wrote:OSOD would absolutely *love* this one.
(this is where I wish OSOD was still around!)
Where is he?

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Tue, 19 Mar 2013 10:16 pm

Banned.
Be careful what you wish for

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 19 Mar 2013 11:19 pm

Correction: Un-banned

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Inquiry ordered into "suicide" of american expat

Post by curiousgeorge » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 7:45 am

So the story continues...

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/26/41492 ... -Singapore

Inquiry will being 13th May and SG will cooperate with the FBI this time...