Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
SerenityO

Post by SerenityO » Tue, 12 Mar 2013 8:17 am

I got the same interview panel as you! Yes, I think the lady looked intimidating and seemed quite strict. Just our luck I guess.
BNWC wrote:
ruthrinlim wrote:I went for Mar 9's interview and that was my first. I did do my homework and even got Kristine's manual. There were 2 guys in my group, the rest were females and only 1 lady got through the first round. Interviewers were a Chinese lady and Malay guy. The Chinese lady looked quite stern.

Quite honestly, I was disappointed thinking I would have gone to at least round 2. But oh wells, I would just have to try again. The question for my group: What is your favorite food?

The lady that went through did quite a long introduction about herself and gave a short answer for her favorite food. She was quite nervous compared to a few others in my group but it's not her first time trying out.

After telling some of my friends who tried the interview/got in SQ, they were quite surprised only one got through considering that some groups had 5/10 getting through the first round. Guess luck was not on my side that day :/
I think I got the same group 1 interviewers as you. The lady was indeed quite intimidating. Do you intend to try again the next walk-in session?

ruthrinlim

Post by ruthrinlim » Tue, 12 Mar 2013 8:45 am

Of course! That was only my first try! There is someone in my group who tried for 6 times and will come back for the next round.
BNWC wrote:
ruthrinlim wrote:I went for Mar 9's interview and that was my first. I did do my homework and even got Kristine's manual. There were 2 guys in my group, the rest were females and only 1 lady got through the first round. Interviewers were a Chinese lady and Malay guy. The Chinese lady looked quite stern.

Quite honestly, I was disappointed thinking I would have gone to at least round 2. But oh wells, I would just have to try again. The question for my group: What is your favorite food?

The lady that went through did quite a long introduction about herself and gave a short answer for her favorite food. She was quite nervous compared to a few others in my group but it's not her first time trying out.

After telling some of my friends who tried the interview/got in SQ, they were quite surprised only one got through considering that some groups had 5/10 getting through the first round. Guess luck was not on my side that day :/
I think I got the same group 1 interviewers as you. The lady was indeed quite intimidating. Do you intend to try again the next walk-in session?

piglet21

UNSUCESSFUL CANDIDATE

Post by piglet21 » Tue, 12 Mar 2013 1:54 pm

Well to share my experience. i Fail at the management round which i don't get to fit the kebaya itself. It is kinda of mix feeling since the opportunity is that near but yet flushes that fast.

I was under KIV but just received a call this morning i am terribly upset as i am unsuccessful. I am indeed trying again and i love those stranger i met along the way and striving through to achieve their dreams. Nevertheless, i am making extra effort to brush up my English again.

Hope i get a nice interviewer for all round. Luck plays alot of roles in the interview.
piglet21

KIV-Boy

KIV List

Post by KIV-Boy » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 5:53 pm

Went to the 9th of March walk-in interview, got through to the last management round. My group of 6, one girl got rejected while 4 other girls were told to go for extra checks in kebaya. I was the only guy in the group. Was told that I have been put on KIV list and need to lose 5kg.

Similar to some of previous posts, was notified that I would not need to go through any more round of interviews in the next interview and will only need to let them check my BMI. Personally, I do not think I am overweight but as I do body building, my BMI is slightly over their requirements. Trying to lose the weight now and hopefully will be able to pass the review interview in 6 weeks time. Would appreciate some responses on whether anyone has gotten on the KIV list, satisfied their requirements and got offered the job after the review interview.

From my experience, the first round interview of a group of 10 was not very difficult. My group got a middle aged lady and a young man. Both were chinese. Furthermore, I think our group had the largest number of successful applicants to go through to the 2nd round as 8/10 of us progressed to round 2.

I do not remember how many of us got through to the management round, but I can remember seeing very little guys in the management round. Out of 1150 candidates for the walk-in interview, I saw probably only 10-15 guys in the management round. Furthermore, I think only about 5-7 was successful in landing the job.

Our group's question was, "Introduce yourself and plan a day trip for a family of 8". I honestly do not think the answers are important, but rather how you present yourself and if you are able to show the interviewers you have that 'spark' in you. For my part, I somehow made everyone laugh during my introduction. My suggestions for the family trip was also the shortest among everyone else's.

An interesting detail I found out during the management round was that my 2nd round, 1-1 interviewer is rumoured to be famous for rejecting candidates. True enough, out of about 50 people I talked to on the management round, none of them had the same interviewer as me.

However, I must say that the man is nice to talk to. He didn't seem to be strict. All I can say is, be yourself and do not be afraid of saying the wrong things. If you are unsure, just apologize and say you don't know. Better to let them know you do not know the answer to the question, than opening your mouth and risk sounding like a fool.

Good luck to everyone who will try out for the next interview and in the mean time, do your best to improve yourself in areas you feel might hinder you from getting your dream job. Practice reading out passages by yourself as you will be required to do that twice during the two rounds of interviews. This is to let the interviewers know how well you will fare in doing announcements on board.

Good luck!

KIV-Boy

pastapasta

Re: KIV List

Post by pastapasta » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 9:59 pm

KIV-Boy wrote:Went to the 9th of March walk-in interview, got through to the last management round. My group of 6, one girl got rejected while 4 other girls were told to go for extra checks in kebaya. I was the only guy in the group. Was told that I have been put on KIV list and need to lose 5kg.

Similar to some of previous posts, was notified that I would not need to go through any more round of interviews in the next interview and will only need to let them check my BMI. Personally, I do not think I am overweight but as I do body building, my BMI is slightly over their requirements. Trying to lose the weight now and hopefully will be able to pass the review interview in 6 weeks time. Would appreciate some responses on whether anyone has gotten on the KIV list, satisfied their requirements and got offered the job after the review interview.
Can I know what are the requirements for the BMI for guys? I am 171/58 and am afraid i might be underweight :/

And for the skin check for guys, how strict were they? You think it will be prudent to use concealer for some redness?

Thanks. Wanted to PM you but I can't ;(

Is the nxt interview in 6 weeks which is 20 April 2013?

yujie

Re: KIV List

Post by yujie » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 10:33 pm

KIV-Boy wrote:Went to the 9th of March walk-in interview, got through to the last management round. My group of 6, one girl got rejected while 4 other girls were told to go for extra checks in kebaya. I was the only guy in the group. Was told that I have been put on KIV list and need to lose 5kg.

From my experience, the first round interview of a group of 10 was not very difficult. My group got a middle aged lady and a young man. Both were chinese. Furthermore, I think our group had the largest number of successful applicants to go through to the 2nd round as 8/10 of us progressed to round 2.

I do not remember how many of us got through to the management round, but I can remember seeing very little guys in the management round. Out of 1150 candidates for the walk-in interview, I saw probably only 10-15 guys in the management round. Furthermore, I think only about 5-7 was successful in landing the job.

Our group's question was, "Introduce yourself and plan a day trip for a family of 8". I honestly do not think the answers are important, but rather how you present yourself and if you are able to show the interviewers you have that 'spark' in you. For my part, I somehow made everyone laugh during my introduction. My suggestions for the family trip was also the shortest among everyone else's.

An interesting detail I found out during the management round was that my 2nd round, 1-1 interviewer is rumoured to be famous for rejecting candidates. True enough, out of about 50 people I talked to on the management round, none of them had the same interviewer as me.

However, I must say that the man is nice to talk to. He didn't seem to be strict. All I can say is, be yourself and do not be afraid of saying the wrong things. If you are unsure, just apologize and say you don't know. Better to let them know you do not know the answer to the question, than opening your mouth and risk sounding like a fool.

Good luck to everyone who will try out for the next interview and in the mean time, do your best to improve yourself in areas you feel might hinder you from getting your dream job. Practice reading out passages by yourself as you will be required to do that twice during the two rounds of interviews. This is to let the interviewers know how well you will fare in doing announcements on board.

Good luck!

KIV-Boy

Thanks for ur detailed description ! Do u mind sharing what questions were ask during 1-1 and how's the procedure for the management?

I was booted out during skin check. Issit true that the skin check is very strict? Like not a single depressed scar must be spotted. As most pple know, depressed (holes on the skin) Cannot be concealed under light.

kissmythrone

Post by kissmythrone » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 11:02 pm

sooooo...
i got through everything and like some of y'all, am under KIV too!!
need to lose the 5kg like KIV boy above ^
could fit into the kebaya and everything but apparently they said im kinda bottom heavy.
so yep, am doing everything to lose the 5 kg now!
been so stressed about losing weight these few days! sigh.
thing is, i just lost quite abit of weight so i don't know if i can lose anymore since my weight plateau-ed.... but the number on the scale is slowly going down..... so yay! slow and steady, slow and steady.
(still gonna be keeping my fingers crossed!)

for my first round, the question was "give a short introduction about yourself and if you had a choice, would you choose to get a yellow beetle or a red ferrari?"
out of my group of ten, 3 got in, 2 girls including myself and another guy.
one got booted out during the qualifications/cert check (i have no idea what happened)
and the other girl got booted out during the skin check because of a small scar on her wrist.
and yes! i gotta say they are quite strict with scars and whatnot on the wrists and complexion plays quite a huge role in this case too.

it was my fourth time trying and i finally got this far, so for those who are still trying, i'll say give it your all, keep trying and don't even think of giving up.
if its something you really want, go for it?

KIV-Boy

Post by KIV-Boy » Fri, 15 Mar 2013 12:19 am

Before you read this, get ready for a wall of text. I was unable to reply to some of your PMs as I do not have enough posts to do so. So I will just reply here.

Dear Randall,

They used a normal digital scale. Basically, they measured my height, asked me to get on the scale and calculated my BMI from there. I am 77kg at 172cm. My ideal weight should be around 72kg. However, since I do heavy weight lifting, my weight might have skewed to the heavy side. When I requested the lady to reconfirm with the interviewers whether they can take into consideration my body building activities, I was met with the same reply. I will need to lose 5kg and come back for the interview in 20th April.

That aside, I am very impressed with your progress in losing weight. I would suggest sticking to your current weight as your BMI is 24.4. I am unsure what their required BMI is, but I am assuming the acceptable max at 25. Since I would be at around 25 if I were to lose 5kg.

Dear PastaPasta,

I would suggest trying to gain a few KGs as I think they might use the range of 19-25 for a healthy BMI. Don't take my word for it though.

To everyone else wondering about skin checks, I would have to agree with KissMyThrone. It seemed they were rather strict. They make you stand straight, with your back to the wall, and have lights shining from the floor up. Apparently this is to allow a better look on your skin complexion. They will ask if you have a tattoo and will check if it is visible with you are wearing your uniform.

For the guys, you will need to roll up your sleeves. For the girls, they will check your complexion thoroughly, the back of your neck, and the top part of your chest. Since that part will show when wearing your kebaya. They may also ask you to go for a check up if you have some rashes around your skin areas. I suggest everyone have a good night's sleep and get ready and be your best on interview day.

To answer some questions about the interview process.

1st Round - Group of 10. Introduce yourself and speak for 1 minute on a subject. Topic of subject varies for every round so it is pointless to memorize what they may ask you. However, one common question asked is definitely "Why do you want to fly with SIA?"

2nd Round - Certificate checks for everyone. Height checks will also be carried out at this point. If the girls seem to be slightly shorter than the requirement, you will be asked to do a reach test. You will need to stand about 1-2 feet from the wall, and reach for a taped line on the wall. Reminder for girls trying out, please do not wear too short skirts. On my interview, there was this poor girl, who was desperately trying to reach the line. Her dress was too short and while trying to reach the line, the dress rode up and well, don't think I need to explain what happened. So please remember, if you are slightly shorter than the requirement but is confident you can reach the line, don't wear short dresses!

3rd Round - 1 on 1 interview. At this point, a certain amount of luck is required. You will either get a helpful interviewer or a strict one. Mine was a rather difficult interview. I got asked questions like :-

1) How do you feel working with children?
2) How will you cope, working with a wide age range of people from 18 - 60?
3) What do you know about the position you are applying for?
4) In your previous employment, give an example of a difficult situation and how you coped.
5) There will be a passage in front of you. Read it out loud. This passage will be a scenario that can happen when you are flying. How would you respond to this problem.

Final Interview - Groups of 6 are formed. This may take awhile as the final interview is a more detailed interview. Groups will be placed in a room for 10-15 minutes. You will need to get to know one another. Find out everything about them. You may need to introduce the person next to you, depending on the interviewers.

For mine, we had to stand up and introduce ourselves. After which, we needed to talk about a topic. Ours was about current affairs. After that, there was a short debate where we were presented with a topic. We were split into two groups of 3. One group would be talking Pro-topic, and the other will be Anti-topic. Finally, we will each stand up and read a passage in front of us. Apparently, this is to assess our announcement making capabilities.

After this, you will either be accepted right away and be briefed or extra checks may be required. Girls may need to try on the Kebaya to see if any adjustments needed. Guys might need to have their BMI checked. At this point, if you do not make the cut at that point in time, but they are interested to take you, you may be put on a KIV list such as I am. I have spoken to many of my SIA friends, and have been reassured that once you have completed their requirements, you have a high chance of landing your dream job.

PS: Dear KissMyThrone - Did they mention sending you an email with information regarding the KIV list and your next interview? Did they also reassure you that you will not need to go through any more interviews and only do the Kebaya check? I myself am unsure of my position also to be honest. I hope things go well for the both of us!

In closing, I would like to encourage everyone not to give up. I know of one ex-SIA crew that tried for 8 times and got through on the 8th try. If they can do it, so can we. Just be yourself, calm your nerves before the interview. For myself, I played CandyCrush to calm my own nerves haha. Whatever works for you! Lastly, do not be afraid, the interviewers are also human beings. Speak confidently and you will do fine!

KIV-Boy

kissmythrone

Post by kissmythrone » Fri, 15 Mar 2013 12:29 am

Hello!
Yep, they did say and reassure me that next month, (she mentioned on the 14th april) i just need to go down for the kebaya round. and need not go through the other rounds.
i was quite skeptical about it initially? since there's no letter or whatsoever you know?
but then this happened to one of my friends too, with regards to her back acne.
i asked her after if they did email her and she said yes, she's scheduled for training in may!

yep!
really hope we'll get through this last stage!!!
KIV-Boy wrote: PS: Dear KissMyThrone - Did they mention sending you an email with information regarding the KIV list and your next interview? Did they also reassure you that you will not need to go through any more interviews and only do the Kebaya check? I myself am unsure of my position also to be honest. I hope things go well for the both of us!

pastapasta

Post by pastapasta » Fri, 15 Mar 2013 12:36 am

kissmythrone wrote:Hello!
Yep, they did say and reassure me that next month, (she mentioned on the 14th april)
Woah! So its 14 April? Hmmm. I was speculating it to be 20th Apr. Hahaha.

kissmythrone

Post by kissmythrone » Fri, 15 Mar 2013 12:39 am

YAH!
and i would assume 14th april would be the management round, meaning 13th april would be the actual interview date!
pastapasta wrote:
Woah! So its 14 April? Hmmm. I was speculating it to be 20th Apr. Hahaha.

KIV-Boy

Post by KIV-Boy » Fri, 15 Mar 2013 2:09 am

kissmythrone wrote:Hello!
Yep, they did say and reassure me that next month, (she mentioned on the 14th april) i just need to go down for the kebaya round. and need not go through the other rounds.
i was quite skeptical about it initially? since there's no letter or whatsoever you know?
but then this happened to one of my friends too, with regards to her back acne.
i asked her after if they did email her and she said yes, she's scheduled for training in may!

yep!
really hope we'll get through this last stage!!!
KIV-Boy wrote: PS: Dear KissMyThrone - Did they mention sending you an email with information regarding the KIV list and your next interview? Did they also reassure you that you will not need to go through any more interviews and only do the Kebaya check? I myself am unsure of my position also to be honest. I hope things go well for the both of us!
Nice! Good to know. So I guess this means I will be seeing you at the next interview haha. All the best and good luck also! Make sure you exercise and lose the 5kg healthily!

frued
Regular
Regular

Post by frued » Sat, 16 Mar 2013 12:28 am

Hi everyone! I got a question for those who have alr passed the interview.. I understand that successful applicants are to go through medical checkup within the next two days after the final interview. What if the candidate can't make it for both days? Can it be postponed?

BNWC

Post by BNWC » Sat, 16 Mar 2013 3:38 am

Hi KIV Boy,

How strict are they with male's facial checks?

KIV-Boy

Post by KIV-Boy » Sat, 16 Mar 2013 5:08 pm

Not so sure how strict they are with guys, but mine took less than 3mins. I think generally, you should have good skin complexion and not much scarring. Sorry, not so sure about this part of the interview.