Singapore Expats

To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 12:15 am

I disagree with this sentiment. People who show up early are a pain in the ass. Like trying to get ready for a party or dinner, and some airhead shows up 15 minutes early. Puleeeze.

nakatago

Re: To get there early is on time and showing up on time is

Post by nakatago » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 7:36 am

Strong Eagle wrote:I disagree with this sentiment. People who show up early are a pain in the ass. Like trying to get ready for a party or dinner, and some airhead shows up 15 minutes early. Puleeeze.
Unless said airhead is there to help...but probably not since you called him/her airhead.

I actually saw a segment in some show that:

* in professional settings (e.g. business meetings) - be 10 minutes early
* in social settings (e.g. parties) - be 10 minutes late

Never thought of it that way but it kinda makes sense.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 7:49 am

15 minutes is silly. On-time is best, but I welcome people to show up 2-3 minutes early before my meetings start, gives a chance for banter that doesn't take away from the meeting time.

So it's a she izzit? I see what you did there...

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 7:54 am

Brah wrote:15 minutes is silly. On-time is best, but I welcome people to show up 2-3 minutes early before my meetings start, gives a chance for banter that doesn't take away from the meeting time.

So it's a she izzit? I see what you did there...
My grandfather (may he rest in peace) would come two hours before for parties!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 8:42 am

I always try to be 15 minutes early or on time at the latest. In fact, I've always allowed for traffic disruptions be they public or via private car (always allowing for traffic jams or the odd flat tire). I would rather be 15 minutes early for the opera/concert/movie than disrupt everybody around me being fashionably late which to me is inconsiderate. Most venues have a "lobby" where one can idle prior to waltzing into the main venue "on time".
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Re: To get there early is on time and showing up on time is

Post by Splatted » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 4:34 pm

Strong Eagle wrote: Like trying to get ready for a party or dinner, and some airhead shows up 15 minutes early. Puleeeze.
At least it's not 3 hours early. had that happen during my house-warming party. Was quite annoyed as I wanted to take a short nap after a very long morning.

hrprof1985

Post by hrprof1985 » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 5:33 pm

This sentiment gets back memories of my first job when my Boss made this line..and I was like....R u serious?..

But after a few years of work my take on this sentiment is:

For Business/Professional purposes : A Big Yes for before time is on time. It gives you a chance to get a feel of the situation esp before meetings/presentations.

For Social Events: A Big No For before time is on time..one should be on time, being late for me is being a bit rude. I would hate someone arriving before time to my party and catch me unaware trying to close last minute stuff....Eeeks!!! and when they do arrive they tend to state that "Oh I thought I could help you"...Plzzz...did I ask for help??????

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 6:22 pm

what if you are justin bieber :D

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 7:02 pm

Ok so it really depends on what one is being early for. I'm all for getting to the airport an hour earlier than I have to, or a movie to pick up my tickets (then I wait out the advertising until the last minute).

For meetings, I want people there on time, and if I'm really late for a meeting, I won't go. But I don't need them to be there ridiculously early.

To my place for inviting people over? They'd better not be too early. Same for interviews - I make them wait until 3 minutes before.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 7:32 pm

My feeling...
For all job related it's better to be a bit early but if this is something more important (i.e. job interview) you should come earlier but wait somewhere outside and only arrive exactly on time.
For private gatherings with many guests, 15 min before is ok, half an hour later, still ok. If this is just one person who is coming, then this gets more narrowed down, so it does with decreased level of informality between the guest and the host.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 8:08 pm

durain wrote:what if you are justin bieber :D
I only know about that because it was on the TV this morning as I walked out into the living room.

What an asshole.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 8:09 pm

For Job related stuff I'm usually 5-10 mins early. I usually loiter around the building and time my entry so that I'm on the spot.

For social gatherings I'm fashionably late unless the host wants me to help out with something.
:cool:

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Thu, 07 Mar 2013 11:29 am

3-5 minutes early for everything, it's more likely to give hte impression of being "ön-time" than being "late", if you come exactly on time, you could seem to be a minute late when someone realizes you are there or you have to collect a security pass or something daft.
nutnut

alittlerisky
Chatter
Chatter

Post by alittlerisky » Thu, 07 Mar 2013 4:15 pm

pray sir...whi si this Justin Bieber?

(I pride myself on the fact that I would not recognise Jusin Bieber is he sitting at the next table in a restaurant)
Who? What? How? Why? Where? When? Merde...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 07 Mar 2013 8:41 pm

alittlerisky wrote:
pray sir...whi si this Justin Bieber?

(I pride myself on the fact that I would not recognise Jusin Bieber is he sitting at the next table in a restaurant)

5 minutes early for business/meetings. 15 minutes late for private dinner parties (in England it even has a descriptive term: 'fashionably late').

p.s. @ALR
It is a celebrity lesbian who lives in Never Never Land, where it never gets to grow up, and finally kills itself with a drugs OD...

'Pride comes before a fall'.