Singapore Expats

Demerit Points

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Demerit Points

Post by Travailes » Thu, 07 Mar 2013 12:10 am

Is it worth appealing against demerit points in anyone's opinion. Received a letter today saying I jumped a red light near Kallang 5 weeks ago. 12 points and $200 fine. I have never jumped a red light knowingly here or any country in my life but I see it everyday here. I guess they have the photo but seems harsh to me.
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 07 Mar 2013 1:38 am

If you have other evidence, an appeal could work. But, if they have a photo with your nose sticking into the intersection, you'd need to demonstrate that someone else kicked off the camera. So how?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 07 Mar 2013 3:41 am

Ask for evidence. It sounds OTT, based upon what you say.

x9200

Re: Demerit Points

Post by x9200 » Thu, 07 Mar 2013 4:53 am

Travailes wrote:Is it worth appealing against demerit points in anyone's opinion. Received a letter today saying I jumped a red light near Kallang 5 weeks ago. 12 points and $200 fine. I have never jumped a red light knowingly here or any country in my life but I see it everyday here. I guess they have the photo but seems harsh to me.
Is the place they mention a possibility for you? What I mean, have you been there at all within last few weeks?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 Mar 2013 7:00 am

If you have been through that intersection in the past couple of weeks and you were caught on a camera, don't bother. Your fine and points will potentially end up worse if you try to dispute hard evidence.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Demerit Points

Post by Travailes » Thu, 07 Mar 2013 12:06 pm

x9200 wrote:
Travailes wrote:Is it worth appealing against demerit points in anyone's opinion. Received a letter today saying I jumped a red light near Kallang 5 weeks ago. 12 points and $200 fine. I have never jumped a red light knowingly here or any country in my life but I see it everyday here. I guess they have the photo but seems harsh to me.
Is the place they mention a possibility for you? What I mean, have you been there at all within last few weeks?
Sadly yes ! Doing an errand for someone as a favour which makes it all the more galling. It was the junction at Lavender and Bendemeer coming past the new National Stadium.
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 07 Mar 2013 2:50 pm

If it hurts very much then write this appeal. You will not lose anything writing it (except perhaps some pride :). Emphasize on you spotless account so far, also in the other countries, express your disbelieve (in the sense that you don't know how this could have happened) and that by any means you have not intentionally committed the offence, and that you are very sorry and going to be more careful in future.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Thu, 07 Mar 2013 3:43 pm

i was caught on camera few days ago. it was at a cross walk near sin ming - i believe they were trialing digital cameras at that exact spot.

i didn't actually go past the traffic signals (i braked and stopped probably a few feet past the tarmac sensor) but two flashes were thrown off anyway. i hope nothing comes in the mail...

the 3 second rule on red no longer applies to the two spots with trial cameras.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 07 Mar 2013 11:30 pm

If its your 1st ever offence, then very high chances that it will be waived off on appeal. Be remorseful in your appeal and it will work.

However if you have appealed before and have already been warned then dont bother.

I was caught for parking my motorcycle on the pavement on the 1st day I bought the bike. How much more unlucky can you be? But I appealed and explained its my 1st day and they waived it off. Those days TP used to take care of parking offences too, now LTA does that. So I have lost my chance of any more appeals, related to speeding, to the TP, I guess :(

So far I have managed to never ever get caught for speeding, Luckily the route I travel, I have never seen those TP with cameras.