Singapore Expats

Open a Sole Proprietorship on a DP and getting the LoC

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 27 Dec 2012 6:52 am

It's much easier if the company is a Pte Ltd Company.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

shellbe6

Post by shellbe6 » Thu, 27 Dec 2012 9:01 am

also if I'm the sole director in the company?

Leaving london

Post by Leaving london » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 11:43 pm

Thanks to you all and to Singapore expats. Letter of consent came in the post today. Follow the instructions on here. Easy as 1.2.3

This is what the net was intended for

Huge thanks

pompyb

Post by pompyb » Mon, 25 Feb 2013 10:39 am

Leaving london wrote:Hi All,

Q: if you design your own company logo etc. on PC how can you officially stamp the company stamp on the application form?[/b]

Left London
Hi,

Leaving London i have the same question since i have designed my company logo on the computer. Do i now need to get a stamp made in order to be able to put it on the LOC? Anyone knowing the answer please do respond. It will be much appreciated. I am in the process of applying for a LOC and quite afraid that it will be rejected.

Looking forward to a reply.

Thanks.

PB

MrsMagnum

Post by MrsMagnum » Wed, 27 Feb 2013 5:35 pm

Hi pompyb

I think you can get a rubber stamp made fairly cheaply (there are lots of places that do them) and use it to physically stamp the paper application form. However, from some of the posts above, it looks like you can just write N/A and still be successful. I may get one made anyway as it could come in handy later on.

I've also just set up a sole proprietorship and am putting my Letter of Consent application together. Thanks so much for all the brilliant contributions to this thread. Like others, it's been absolutely invaluable and I'm really hoping my application will be approved too.

Before I submit my documents, I just have one query. There are a couple of questions on the form which read, "Is your business entity an Employment Agency/Headhunter firm or does it supply labour to other business entities in the course of conducting its business?" and "If Yes, will the foreign employee be deployed to work for another employer so as to supplement that other employer's manpower resources?". Then there's an explanation at the bottom which reads, "To 'supply labour' means to provide manpower to another business entity to perform work for that other business entity so as to supplement that other business entity's manpower resources to perform its work. It does not include situations where your business entity has sent its employees to another business entity to perform work for your business entity, and not supplement that other entity's manpower resources. An example would be an auditing company sending its auditor to a client premises to audit the client."

Sorry, long quote! I'm not a teacher, but will be freelancing for other companies when they need help in much the same way a relief teacher does. I use that example as I noticed there were a couple of teachers who posted earlier in the thread and wondered whether they ticked yes or no to these questions?

When I take on projects I'll either be working from home or from the offices of these companies, and there will also be instances where I work directly for a client. Continuing the teaching analogy, I guess that would be like providing direct tuition to students rather than through a school.

Any advice much appreciated as I'm really not sure at the moment.

Thanks,
MrsM

bogdanl

Additional documents

Post by bogdanl » Thu, 28 Feb 2013 6:24 pm

It would be awesome if someone that succeeded with the LOC could post somewhere the documents they applied with.

Thanks!
Bogdan

MrsMagnum

Post by MrsMagnum » Thu, 28 Feb 2013 6:34 pm

Hi there

You can find the document list in wackyjaqy's second post on page 2. Or do you mean the actual documents? I don't think anyone would be able to do that because of the sensitive information they contain.

I'm filling in my application now and have assumed that each 'document' in the list is just a title with a simple statement created using Word. And with the company logo as the header of course. No need to make things any lengthier than needed as the aim is for all the information to be super clear and easy to find.

Good luck!

MrsM

pompyb

Post by pompyb » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 10:19 am

MrsMagnum wrote:Hi pompyb

I think you can get a rubber stamp made fairly cheaply (there are lots of places that do them) and use it to physically stamp the paper application form. However, from some of the posts above, it looks like you can just write N/A and still be successful. I may get one made anyway as it could come in handy later on.
Hello MrsMagnum,

I did finally submit the LOC without a stamp as i do not see myself needing one at this point and wrote 'NA' instead.

So finally went to submit my docs yesterday. First i went to 18 Havelock Street only to be told that they have moved the office and all related services to 1500 Bendemeer Road. My fault completely since i had not double checked the address on MOM site (which incidentally still carries the old address with a note on top) being confident as this thread had not mentioned it over the past couple of months as i saw an update as late as 12th January and no one mentioned the change of address.. Then i went to the Bendemeer office. After standing for 30 minutes in the queue for information, i was told by the officials that they do not accept it by hand and i needed to post it to the Havelock address after all and they would be forwarding it to them. I have a feeling that if i had gone to the mail room and given them the documents they would have accepted it. However i did not want to take a chance and wanted to follow the instructions of the MOM officials.

So, i came back home and posted it through registered post :) Now i have a question here : do government bodies in Singapore accept mails through registered post? If not, i think i have to start again :)

I want to take this opportunity to thank this forum as it has been my one-stop site for all information related to LOC. You guys rock.

Cheers.

PB

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Travailes » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 11:47 am

Great thread !
I have a general question with regard to the LOC granted at the end of the process. If you state you are a 'Freelance Caterer' as an example, would this allow you to work in the F&B industry doing jobs where the ad is 'Singaporean, PR only need apply' ? Assuming the employer buys into this you then invoice the employer for your time at the published rate.
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

MrsMagnum

Post by MrsMagnum » Mon, 04 Mar 2013 12:46 pm

Best of luck Pompyb!

I'm going to submit my application tomorrow now I have everything I need. So do you think I can go to Havelock Road and lodge it in the mail room as others did before?

I'm certain that they will accept registered post. Have you tracked it online to see if it's been safely delivered?

Travailes, I think it will all be down to the employer 'buying into it', as you say. Usually they say 'Singaporean/PR only' because they don't want any paperwork hassle. Technically you wouldn't be a hassle with an LoC but it depends on how they see it. I'm no expert though, so I may be wrong.

MrsM

MrsMagnum

Post by MrsMagnum » Tue, 05 Mar 2013 7:48 pm

Hi again all

I submitted my application today. Kind of.

Just to reiterate what pompyb said, they definitely won't let you lodge your application at the mailroom of Havelock Road any more. LoCs are now being dealt with at Bendemeer Road (the DP who arrived at the same time as me was sent over there for her LoC appointment), but you can't hand deliver them there either.

You can ONLY send your LoC application by post and the correct address is still Havelock Road as per the top of the form. Apparently someone comes over from the Bendemeer office to pick them up. I double checked with the security guard and MOM definitely accepts registered post.

So I ended up sending mine by registered post from the SingPost at People's Park Complex a mere two-minute stroll from Havelock Road. And it'll take two days to get there!

All a bit frustrating, but them's the rules. Hope that stops anyone from heading down to hand deliver at Havelock Road 'just in case' (like I did).

Thanks
MrsM

bogdanl

Post by bogdanl » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 8:12 pm

MrsMagnum wrote:Hi there

You can find the document list in wackyjaqy's second post on page 2. Or do you mean the actual documents? I don't think anyone would be able to do that because of the sensitive information they contain.

I'm filling in my application now and have assumed that each 'document' in the list is just a title with a simple statement created using Word. And with the company logo as the header of course. No need to make things any lengthier than needed as the aim is for all the information to be super clear and easy to find.

Good luck!

MrsM
Thanks! I'd like to follow a model that worked, though maybe I worry too much.

I was wondering especially about "Venue for performing duties" and "Reasons why Entrepass not applicable ". They're one paragraph. Did you just create a blank page for each with a title? Did you attach other supporting documents like for example the tenancy agreement?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 07 Mar 2013 12:30 am

bogdanl wrote:I was wondering especially about "Venue for performing duties" and "Reasons why Entrepass not applicable ". They're one paragraph. Did you just create a blank page for each with a title? Did you attach other supporting documents like for example the tenancy agreement?
Entrepass is not applicable because the Entrepass is for foreigners who wish to establish residency in Singapore to work legally. As a DP you are "ordinarily resident" already so the Entrepass does not apply.

MrsMagnum

Post by MrsMagnum » Thu, 07 Mar 2013 4:03 pm

Thanks SE. I had actually just realised this myself... Doh! I'm sure it won't hurt putting in the reasons why it's not applicable though, as the reasons are the same as those for why a Pte Ltd isn't suitable (working for yourself/no employees/no business premises/no capital requirements etc.) Everyone else seems to have been fine anyway, so fingers crossed.

Bogdani, yes I just started a new page for each with a heading (and my logo at the top) and didn't worry if each page was only a couple of sentences long. I'm probably not the best person to advise though, since I don't know if my application has been approved yet or not.

MrsM

mallim

Will this work if the DP is sponsored by a S-Pass holder?

Post by mallim » Fri, 08 Mar 2013 10:41 am

Hi Everyone

I am a DP holder sponsored by my husband holding a S-Pass (downgraded from EP recently).

I have been trying hard to find a job but to no avail.

My question is will I be able to get a LOC in my case assuming I can satisfy all other conditions.

Regards
Amy