Singapore Expats

Found Pet Bird

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
nicwole

Found Pet Bird

Post by nicwole » Tue, 26 Feb 2013 12:06 am

This is gonna seem random...

I managed to catch someone's escaped pet bird in Sentosa this past weekend. Is anybody missing their pet or know someone who is? PM me the details/description of the bird and will return to you.

Thanks.
N

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 26 Feb 2013 12:32 am

I once found a racing-pigeon when I was at school, suffering from exhaustion and disorientation.

It's owners details were printed in permanent ink on one of it's wing feathers.

He drove 200 miles to collect it from me.

Maybe try inspecting it's feathers. A long shot I accept, but you never know.

Otherwise contact an animal rescue/sanctuary and ask for their advice on how to go about locating the owner.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Found Pet Bird

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 26 Feb 2013 10:32 am

nicwole wrote:This is gonna seem random...

I managed to catch someone's escaped pet bird in Sentosa this past weekend. Is anybody missing their pet or know someone who is? PM me the details/description of the bird and will return to you.

Thanks.
N
maybe the owner doesn't want to be found ?? Dumped bird ?

What kind of bird is it ??

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 26 Feb 2013 7:38 pm

how did you manage to catch a bird? and why were you attempting to catch a bird? :P
p.s can you fly? what bird is it ?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 27 Feb 2013 8:20 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:how did you manage to catch a bird? and why were you attempting to catch a bird? :P
p.s can you fly? what bird is it ?
and was it a 'cute' bird ?? ;)

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 27 Feb 2013 10:00 pm

its been 24 hrs! is the bird still alive? has the owner been found? :-|
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

nicwole

Post by nicwole » Thu, 28 Feb 2013 12:27 am

the bird is fine. it had no injuries when i caught it, though it's a pretty pathetic flyer so I am surprised a cat did not get it's paws on it. i have a lot of experience with birds and animals and animal handling so it seems happy and calm enough. trying to feed it bananas, but way more into seeds than bananas. not really set out to try to chase and capture birds, just on sentosa and saw a parakeet flying around and it seemed to want engage some people people so just got it to relax and let me approach and handle it.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 28 Feb 2013 9:38 am

nice to hear :) , we were just giving you a hard time. what are you doing to do with the bird though ?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 28 Feb 2013 11:13 am

nicwole wrote:the bird is fine. it had no injuries when i caught it, though it's a pretty pathetic flyer so I am surprised a cat did not get it's paws on it. i have a lot of experience with birds and animals and animal handling so it seems happy and calm enough. trying to feed it bananas, but way more into seeds than bananas. not really set out to try to chase and capture birds, just on sentosa and saw a parakeet flying around and it seemed to want engage some people people so just got it to relax and let me approach and handle it.
hope you didn't steal the parakeet from the Bird show :)

There used to be some show in Sentosa .. not sure if they are still on !!!! :D

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 4:53 pm

there used to be a gentleman years ago who sat with both a parrot and a cockatoo near the bus stop, near the aquarium.. both birds were native to Australia.

wonder if he's lost a bird?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 6:38 pm

Parakeets are survivors, much like rats.

There is a colony of parakeets in Hyde Park, London. I've seen them regularly, there are supposed to be dozens. They're well camouflaged so you often just hear their screeching. But now and again you see them flying from tree to tree. They're usually way up in the big old plane trees, and there is one area, and particular group of trees that I suppose they call home.

One time I was walking over near Speakers Corner, and passed a small young tree and there was a parakeet about a metre in front of me. I just stopped and watched it, fascinated. A few minutes later a couple of passers-by drawn by curiosity as to what I was doing, came and joined me. And the bird, apparently didn't have a care in the world :)

Apparently they (Indian ring-necked parakeets) started establishing themselves in the wild back in the 60s, from escaped domestic birds. They can be found as far south as Wimbledon Common.

There have recently become recognised as a UK species.